Cooling system frustration

Wakendune

Hey guys. I'm new here and just bought a new to me 87 with a trinity stage 4 built motor, T5 pipes with a few other upgrades. I got it from a friends brother (who I trust to tell me the truth) and he said it needed a water pump. It was dripping coolant but runs really strong. After ordering all of my gaskets, seals and pump stuff, I dug into it. I'm pretty proficient with a wrench and have worked on my YFZ450's and YZ250 for quite a while but I have been without a bike for about the last 5 years or so. So here it goes... I buttoned it all back up and when I fired it up, it wasn't just dripping, it was puking. I noticed the coolant was a little brown so i figured something had happened between the gearbox and water pump so I tore it back down. As expected, the rubber o ring that goes on hose coming from the water pump was pinched and came apart. I put it back together with a new o ring and fired it up. Still leaking bad. It looked as if it was coming from the radiator cap, especially while revving. I hit it hard and heard a sharp pop front the right side of the radiator area and my right hand was covered with coolant. I'm going to start pulling plastic so I look around a little bit but I wanted to see if anyone here might be able to shed some light into a possible cause. The stock pump was used up a little but not completely trashed. I replaced all components of the water pump including the gear, seals and even the locking dowel. Thanks in advance for any replies that will get me on the right path to resolving the issue.

Ok, so blown upper radiator hose. But why? I am assuming its building to much pressure, which was why the cap was leaking and that wasn't relieving enough of the pressure so the hose was the next weakest link. I believe there is some sort of blockage, but where? Any ideas? Anything I might have bunged up when changing the pump?

Trinity build = Detonation and blown O-ring/Head gasket. Compression is getting into cooling system and pressurizing it. That's why when you rev it the water flows out all the wrong places and the system pressure spikes.

@do work son I only run I for a short time. Leaks from start up. Clamps were tight. Didn't blow the hose off, it blew it out. Split down the side.

@ windycity. Not sure what you mean by that. Is trinity junk or something? This bike had been well cared for and used regularly. Trinity built it In 94. I'm sure it's been gone through several times since then. I wasn't looking for the fastest bike in the sandbox, just something to have a good time on. Newbie here so please don't hate on one brand or another. That's not why I'm here. Thanks again.

Will start the process. Thanks for the direction. Would the added pressure of the new water pump have caused the head gasket or oring problem to get worse? I ask because it didn't act like this before the water pump change. Was only a slow drip before.

No because there is no thermostat for the water pump to build pressure against. It is a constant cycling flow. Coolant was probalby brown and crusty from burnt premix oil making its way in to the system along with the compression.