Lightest Banshee

fastkid

Exactly. It's the shear strength that really matters.

that would depend on how it is being used.

Then how come no one recommends it for my application? I was told to not even run a titanium steering stem..

HMMMMM.

i was speaking in general not specifically Ti. 

hell for all we know whoever told you that was FOS. did you bother to ask him why? 

that would depend on how it is being used.

i was speaking in general not specifically Ti. 

hell for all we know whoever told you that was FOS. did you bother to ask him why? 

Nope. I figure if they don't want to build it there must be a reason. I'm assuming liability.

Whats the weight of a coilover shock with a ti spring? what would you recommend for a drag application? I think the shaw is to stiff natured to really give you good traction at launch. Seems to just blow the tires off.

Do you realize what a TI coilover would cost in 5 he size you'd need on a banshee shock?

Either you are a undercover baller or completely without clues.

If your not building a cc class based bike your wasting you time looking for all these light weight parts. you will spend more money chasing weight then you would building bigger motor or spending dyno time tuning more power. the only reason to even discuss weight saving is on a cc restricted bike chasing records.

If your not building a cc class based bike your wasting you time looking for all these light weight parts. you will spend more money chasing weight then you would building bigger motor or spending dyno time tuning more power. the only reason to even discuss weight saving is on a cc restricted bike chasing records.

True and false.

More often than not, chassis setup, weight distribution, clutch tunning will yield more results than a larger motor. Although weight needs to be thought about, extreme measures should be taken after the other things have been addressed and no more improvement are being made with the changes. Of course that's just my opinion and I know nothing.

• Like 1

So a huuuuge motor with a 300pound guy will beat say a 421 with a 140 pound guy and a light weight bike?

Weight in any class is critical. If the guy in the next lane has one or two bikes in seperate classes they are serious and those type of fellas tend to be crafty in ways to not need to rely on the motor so much as they do the chassis. You wanna win, you gotta be ready to beat that guy and it ain't happening with out the extra work.

:shrugani: Eat less cheeseburgers.  :drool: 

Everyone is one good shit away from dropping all the weight you would loose switching to Titanium fasteners.  :flush:

Not exactly what i meant. i was assuming people had a good chassis setup with proper weight transfer, tires, clutching etc. my thought was dollar for dollar for dollar youd be better off building more power and focusing on getting it to the ground. eventually these bikes get heavier as the power comes up due to engine weight,extra wheel base and chassis stiffning. in your example of the light bike vs big bike i would think track would be the smaller lighter bike but on big hills the fat guy with more power would be the favorite.

Guest JohnTabata

True and false.

More often than not, chassis setup, weight distribution, clutch tunning will yield more results than a larger motor. Although weight needs to be thought about, extreme measures should be taken after the other things have been addressed and no more improvement are being made with the changes. Of course that's just my opinion and I know nothing.

Word

It'll make your wallet weigh about $1k less.

Just so we're clear I meant only the spring. A ti spring would cost about a grand?

Some times even a dune bike is worth making light as possible. In my opinion it's more satisfying to build a little bike and beat a 14+ mill out in the dunes then build another big bike to match the power and beat them that way. I'm just a fan of tuning and efficiency not how big of a crank I can fit in my motor.

Is it easier to pull a fat guy up a hill or on flat land?

i feel the added hp and tq will show results due to the load from the hill and longer distance. I agree in 300ft the lighter bike will be competitive. What do you think it costs to build a superlight 421 on alky, we can assume what 110hp? lsr ti chassis, bac axle, best of everything as was the example. then lets compare cost to a more traditional build say 18dmx at 165hp chromolly lsr jja, shaws and what not im guessing 200-220 lb handi cap for 55hp probably 35 ftlbs. i might even be low on light bike price estimate. maybe could get a bigger motor.