Lightest Banshee

fastkid

Zilla, I was just pondering. So there is 35 and 40mm axles. JJ&A drag and hillshooter axles are drilled with ...what was it..19mm hole??

So you can´t have 40mm CrMo bar and drill the fuck out of it?

How many have "gun drilled" front spindles?

Yeah locktite ftw I guess. How extensive have people got on lightening the motor? It is the heaviest part after all. Using crank trigger vs flywheel, titanium rods, flat top pistons, titanium sprocket nut, lighten cases, lighten crank, ect.... What's been done, how many pounds been lost?

• Like 1

After a short walk with a dog + few more beers and a tobacco, I think I figured out, why not CrMo axle.

Alum is light and rigid. If it bends it will break or will keep the new "form".

CrMo can twist, but still made it back to Basic form, but twisting is not wanted when under a load. (sorry bad english)

After a short walk with a dog + few more beers and a tobacco, I think I figured out, why not CrMo axle.

Alum is light and rigid. If it bends it will break or will keep the new "form".

CrMo can twist, but still made it back to Basic form, but twisting is not wanted when under a load. (sorry bad english)

Molly weighs the same as steel. By the time the wall thickness is thick enough to get splines or keys in the axle becomes heavier than an aulm one. Molly is miss understood by many who think its light weight. Its not. It is strong which allows the use of far thinner material.

At what point do you guys drop so much weight on these things, that's scary to drive one down the track in fears of it disintegrating. You start drilling holes in shit, you're obviously making it structurally weak. Whereas using a Ti, CF, Mg whatever may cost more, but also might offer structurally security.

Titanium flexes like crazy. My buddy that has that fast 450r in MN had his up on a jack stand one day. I put pressure on the axle while he held the bike steady. I watched that swingarm flex more than I was comfortable with.

We tried the same thing with my chromoly arm and it didn't do it.

Molly weighs the same as steel. By the time the wall thickness is thick enough to get splines or keys in the axle becomes heavier than an aulm one. Molly is miss understood by many who think its light weight. Its not. It is strong which allows the use of far thinner material.

4130 Molly tensile strength 95,000 psi with wall thickness from .035 to .188.

1020 D.O.M. steel tensile strength 80,000 psi.

EWR steel tensile strength 45,000 psi.

They know how swoll you are, you would rip that shit in half.

That's what I was thinking.

Who told you this? I can guarantee you aren't riding anywhere near as hard as some of the guys we develop for.

I'm not going to bring up any names. You know me, if it will give me a safe advantage I will buy/build it. Both gave me the thumbs down for my type of racing.

Probably because you're not drag racing..

HMMMMMMMM.

But but but it's sooooooooo strong.. No?

We've run thousands of Ti springs for racing. The cost is astronomical, but weight savings is incredible. Big reason only the top names run them. Prices can jump to $1000+ for a single compression spring.

Whats the weight of a coilover shock with a ti spring? what would you recommend for a drag application? I think the shaw is to stiff natured to really give you good traction at launch. Seems to just blow the tires off.

Edited by fastkid