trans/gear oil help

badbanshee509

i had my bike servaced by a local drag racer here, he only races banshees, well known, 6 sec banshees in an 1/8th mile, he filled my banshee up with ford class F transmission oil non synthetic, he said the reaular atv gear oil will burn the gears up quicker, how true is this or have you guys ever heard of this? unsure.gif

ATF Type F can be used in the Banshee but requires being flushed more often based on it breaking down, when I ran ATF I was changing oil after every 2 rides because the oil would look like dirty milk. I use Belray Gear Saver 80wt and I usually change mine out every 6-8 rides and its still red in color and not even broken down yet.

what is this well known guys name?

and ATF type F is known for being run in banshees.

but not sure I believe that ATV oil will burn up the gears.

he is out of kissimmee florida, and his name is dominecano, he is very well known in the drag banshee seen in florida, he said atf type f is good for up to 10 rides before changing it, im use to running atv oil so thats why i have this question, the bike runs perfect but i dont thank im sold of changing every year on this oil

i have been using atf type f for some time now.. no problems besides having to change is every few rides. i dont go more than 5 or 6 rides without changing it because it does seem to break down

labratory analysis is the only way to determine whats going on with the fluid. looking at it determines nothing as far as its state of composure, most of the time. unless you see water in it or it smells burnt but thats a different topic. change diesel oil and the moment you pour the new stuff in, its coal black, but certainly its not broke down yet. your not breaking down atf in 2 rides i can gaurantee that. cars go 60K miles with just as much if not more heat, same type of gears, same type of clutch plates, same type of bearings. where vehicles and qauds are different, cars have a filter so all the particles dont go through the internal components, qauds have no filter system. it is a good idea to change your qaud fluid frequently, so the amount of particles running through the bearings and gears is kept to a minimum, but certainly the fluid hasnt lost its normal lubricating properties

theres a few labs around the country if you wanted to send them a sample for analysis. maybe somebody could do it and post the result to debunk all the myth that these bikes ruin the fluid in 2 rides. hell ride with the same oil for 3 months and send it in. would be interesting to see

Edited by registered user

I ran atf for a while and i feel it wore the clutching ramps on the override excessively. Automobile trans dont require a fluid with that kind of protection. I thought i was getting some free power from lower viscosity trans lube but i think its not worth the wear.

I ran atf for a while and i feel it wore the clutching ramps on the override excessively. Automobile trans dont require a fluid with that kind of protection. I thought i was getting some free power from lower viscosity trans lube but i think its not worth the wear.

all the ford trucks use atf in the manual trannys not just automatics. towing 16,000lbs doesnt require protection of the gears and bearings ?

im not here supporting atf, infact i dont use it. just sayin it takes alot more than 2 rides before it breaks down. doesnt matter what kind of fluid your run, IMO its all gonna work pretty good, considering most guys change it frequently. gear oil, atf, motor oil, hydraulic oil, or if you buy into the motorcycle specific oil nonsense....... take your pick and go ride

think about it. how many knuckleheads juice up there powerstroke to 700+ftlb of torque. your little qaud transmission is just a drop in the bucket

Edited by registered user

• 1 month later...

I've never heard of changing the oil in the transmissions on these things every 4 or 5 rides. That's crazy. I ride my bikes almost every day. I need to change my oil every week? No way. There's no way these oils, any kind are beIng exposed to the extremes that would break them down in that little time. In my truck that I pull 20k pound trailers with gets the tranny temps over 230* degrees at times in the heat and stop and go traffic. I know that ATF +4 is way different than type f but it still can't be worn out that fast. Also, most all of the newer truck transmissions and transfer cases use a more modern transmission fluid. The rear ends in these trucks generally run at 100*+ constantly and there is way more load on the ring and pinion of a 7000 pound truck especially pulling 10k+ pounds compared to these bikes. Even if you run regular 10w-30 motor oil in the banshee, there is no way these oils are being put under more pressure than the main bearings in a car or truck motor. Now if there is water or it smells like burnt clutch then yeah, change it more often, but there is probably an underlying cause.

the clutch pack in the banshee is slipping all the time and is bathed in oil. it has a low capacity and has absolutely NO external coolers unlike most trucks. the oil makes the grip of the"wet clutch" less and if the wrong oil is used the friction modifiers will get into the fiber int he clutch and cause them to slip.

type F is total shit. it wears out REALLY fast and if you have a high HP bike with a HOT clutch ( like a drag bike) it will break down extremely fast. anything over i think 220 degrees and type f is breaking down.

ANY decent ATV specific OR motorcycle specific oil will work much better than type F... castrol 4T is great and so is most other oils designed for this application. i have heard that klots 30wt? is a great oil and i just noticed when i bought oil for my boat that royal purple has a bad ass synchromesh oil specific for 2 strokes. i'm going to try that int he bikes next. its about 15-20 a qt.

i can usually tell if a transmission has had type f in it or a shitty oil the shafts and surfaces on the differnt internal parts will be scored adn show more damage and wear than most that were ran and used good oil..

its not worth the 2 bucks you save up front and then have to change the shit every 15 passes and cost nearly the same as castrol 4t ...