Lock Out/Lock-Up Tuning

SlowerThanYou

I keep seeing this problem with clutch tuning coming up lately. The basics of clutch tuning are not being followed & maybe I haven't made it clear.

This is the order of priority for clutch tuning basics:

#1 - Baseline...Baseline...Baseline!!!

This means measuring your clutch springs installed height. Then you measure the spring in lbs. at that installed height.

Weighing your lock-up arm weights.

IMO, this is done even if you think your springs/arm weights are right or wrong.

#2 - Base/static spring pressure.

Start changing your spring pressure from the baseline to get desired results. You need to know what direction you are going with your pressure changes. Whether it's more or less pressure.

You need the right amount of slip; too much slip or no slip is not good.

#3 - Lock-up Arm Weight.

The arm weight controls when/how the clutch locks-up

Slower, I see people having all 6 hd springs and around 8-10 grams each arm. What do you you think of that? Whats the reason or benefit?

Im not STY, but IMO (which is worth nothing) 6hd springs is nearly enough to hold a large percentage of bikes without a lockup. It seems that most don't see the correlation between the two. Everyone has their ways of doing things but on an average build I think you will struggle to get a clutch to slip with that much spring pressure.

Slower, I see people having all 6 hd springs and around 8-10 grams each arm. What do you you think of that? Whats the reason or benefit?

Without knowing the actual spring pressure at the installed height. This set-up provides nothing but a locked-up clutch on everything from around 700cc & down.

Im not STY, but IMO (which is worth nothing) 6hd springs is nearly enough to hold a large percentage of bikes without a lockup. It seems that most don't see the correlation between the two. Everyone has their ways of doing things but on an average build I think you will struggle to get a clutch to slip with that much spring pressure.

Hit the nail on the head.

I will try & elaborate more on Wed. if not,  it will have to wait until the weekend.

I'll throw my 2 cents out there about spring pressure and what worked for me.  After I got back from the track I took out the springs that were in it and used those springs for my baseline. For example say that all 6 came out to 280 lbs. then I took the box of springs and kept taking 10% off the 280lbs to about 260lbs to 240lbs etc. Eventually my 60'  started to improve and I knew exactly what my spring pressure was. I've seen 2 springs that look identical but they are 5lbs off now if you multiply that by the number of springs you are using its a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I'll throw my 2 cents out there about spring pressure and what worked for me.  After I got back from the track I took out the springs that were in it and used those springs for my baseline. For example say that all 6 came out to 280 lbs. then I took the box of springs and kept taking 10% off the 280lbs to about 260lbs to 240lbs etc. Eventually my 60'  started to improve and I knew exactly what my spring pressure was. I've seen 2 springs that look identical but they are 5lbs off now if you multiply that by the number of springs you are using its a huge difference.

That's good information shared!  So, what was your actual baseline pressure. LOL!

You gave good examples. Just to add, when we start getting close in base pressure. The changes are in smaller increments than 20 lbs. I'm sure Casey has figured that out. 

This is by far the most important post in the entire thread.......Slower, Thanks for sharing this info!

Yep!

I think its time to talk air gap....

Are you going to talk about it or are you suggesting I talk about it?

IMO, we set it for a certain range of clearance & don't pay a lot of attention to it. Can it be used to tune, a little. We prefer to stick with the areas that really matter.

A company actually thinks they are doing something new with a lock-up. It's rumored another company is coming out with one similar/same, soon.

There's no need to spend money for a new lock-up to accomplish this. It has been done for many years with backyard engineering & for very little $ you can do this with a little ingenuity.

Springlock-up_zps640ecb70.png

A company actually thinks they are doing something new with a lock-up. It's rumored another company is coming out with one similar/same, soon.

There's no need to spend money for a new lock-up to accomplish this. It has been done for many years with backyard engineering & for very little $ you can do this with a little ingenuity.

Springlock-up_zps640ecb70.png

Looks cheezy and like the springs could break or come loose easy.

.090 Here , I tested it at .110 just couldn't get a handle on it. So went back to .090

.090 is the minimum we can use on our set-up. That allows for full disengagement of the pressure plate from the clutch pack.

Change of subject phunt! How about sharing some of the clutch data logging information?

Looks cheezy and like the springs could break or come loose easy.

I have not tested this configuration yet. My understanding from other's, there's an issue of spring breakage.