yfz frame conversion

stock rz cover.  i like to do things a bit differnt than the crowd.   this is not the final motor i'm going to use.  the actual motor is completely blasted off no shiny stuff at all.  using cascade water pump cover and clutch insert. pd intakes and probably stock head.  all rough alluminum.   4 mill stocker set up for tq tq and more tq

• Like 1

the motor thats in it now is just a spare parts running motor.  bike is a blast to ride.  going to try and switch the leftovers motor to e85 next weekend.  

ive decided to do a really special motor for this one.  welded cylinder 4 mill, bearing basket, bearing kicker, full roller shifting and drum, ported for low to midrange so a t6 type pipe motor.  all the pieces are here should take me about 6 months or so to build it as i work it all in.  i will take pics of it as it goes. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yea the rappy 660 or 700  one of them is skinnier er   it took a LOT to get it in there.  its a super tight fit.  cut a bunch out of the frame up there and added a support  i had to tilt it just a tad to clear the lower radiator hose  and modify the front tank mount and hold down screws. the plastic is also up about an inch but its hard to tell unless you look at the tank.   i was thinking of running the maier one piece nose or if i could find a fulbore that i could cut out where the rad is and just run a screw in nose piece.  maybe try and fit the rappy rad cover on it somehow.  then cut it all out in the front.   i bet if yamaha would have developed the frame on the banshee motor it would have looked like a rappy and the yfz combined. 

• 3 weeks later...

its pretty amazing.  from a dead start they come up fast.  BUT  after 2nd gear the geo takes over and they will just wheelie about a foot up in the front.  its bad ass on the dunes to roll over top of one  run down the face  and barely wheelie up the next full power on the middle part of the seat.   frame acts like it has a 4-6 over on it after your moving.  BUT its short so bringing the front up when you want is instant  and turns really fast.   i did really set the motor as low as possible in the frame to keep center of grav low low low.  it shows in how it rides.

its pretty amazing.  from a dead start they come up fast.  BUT  after 2nd gear the geo takes over and they will just wheelie about a foot up in the front.  its bad ass on the dunes to roll over top of one  run down the face  and barely wheelie up the next full power on the middle part of the seat.   frame acts like it has a 4-6 over on it after your moving.  BUT its short so bringing the front up when you want is instant  and turns really fast.   i did really set the motor as low as possible in the frame to keep center of grav low low low.  it shows in how it rides.

sounds awsome! id love to tackle the conversion some day

• 2 months later...

Camatv, About to start digging into this conversion myself. ( 08 frame, 4mil stock cylinder with a mild dune port is the plan, slp pipes also. ) Anything you'd suggest to stay away from, or that you'd do differently if you were to do it again? Not trying to step on toes here, just trying to get my shit straight and do it right, the first time! lmao

• 2 years later...

I mocked this one up about 200 times  stared at it and tried different radiator mounting options many times.  luckily I had these LRD's for the outlaw chassis sitting around.  

I wouldn't do much different.  the worst thing about it is the clearance for the filters.  but with stock carbs and small angled filters like I started with it fits fine..  

my advice is take your time and just do what needs to be done  its going to take a while but the more time you spend on it now  the more you can just hop on and go ride.  its been together for a few years now still with the turd sanmmich tree fiddy motoa in it.  I just jump on and go ride.   there is no easy way out.  the easy way out ones in my opinion are leg burners and ride funky.