yfz frame conversion

Those two bikes from Europe might be the ugliest fucking things I've ever seen.

That said, if you aren't fully capable and willing to cut and move some frame rails on these conversions, you should just leave a Banshee motor in a Banshee frame. There are obvious pipe issues when trying to leave the frame totally stock. I mean, why not just cut the shit out of the way and design something else? After all, you are already swapping the motor.

If I ever build a conversion bike like this, be rest assured that it will be top notch with no corners cut and it will look like it came from the factory.

i was just noticing the lower frame section that was modified on them.. other than that with the shitty ass old trinity pipes they look like shit.. those motors had so much more potential its not even funny.

I was looking at the radiator that you are using in the pics, what year cr 500 is that and does it do a good enough job cooling the engine. I am currently building mine and was thinking about trying it but I live in florida where its hot as hell. What kind of temp does it run? awesome looking bike!

ha its not even done yet. i'm thinking of using a raptor 700 radiator. if not a cr80 should work. the cr500 rad is just one i had sitting around. its off of an 86. i dont ride very slow and the other one i'm doing will be an alky bike so it wont matter as much. i'd still only use at least a cr80 radiator they are dual row. the stock banshee is single row.

I did not even know that a conversion section exists...

I am busy with a LTR conversion... I agree, you have to cut the heck out of it and make it as easy as possible to make everything fit.... At this stage I am thinking of cutting the complete frame in 2 and lengthened it to make room for the pipes... Or at least build a set of custom pipes... But I agree, I want the option of more then one pipe... The only issue with stretching the frame is the mass center point will also move and can make the bike tilt its head in high jumps easier then normal... The other issue is the plastics won't fit and need to be modified.... On the LTR I am also planning on letting a company build me a narrower radiator but thicker with more cores, CR500 rads was an option, but I hate the look, just doesn't look right... I want to make sure she runs cool enough... To me it looks like CPIs will be the easiest shape to fit on the LTR.... I have Paul turners, DGs, PCs, DMCs, FMFs... Non will fit as easy and sits high and looks right like the DGs would and the CPIs has about the same curve as the DGs and I hate the DGs, got them from a bike I parted and nobody wanted them LOL... No other pipe will fit and look good.... By modding the upper a-arm and narrow radiator, this issue should be sorted also.... The best thing to do is a stretch and I am looking at my option of stretching the frame a few inches, not say I am going to, but it will help a lot... Its either stretching, or modding the upper a-arms and radiator...

Edited by 2strokespirit

• 2 weeks later...

Lets see how it turns out, and who chose a lazy way to do things....

I seen Cams work, seems like a pretty smart dude- Im almost certain his will be one of the cleanest conversions done to date.

Also- for the YFZ cutting the frame in half isnt a option, theres plenty of room to do it the right way, that is of course eliminating the stock YFZ motor mounts and fabricating new ones, gettting the motor lower and further back into the frame..

Eliminating the stock YFZ radiator, which will allow the pipes to fit snug against the frame like a banshee- The whole idea in my eyes is to make it look like it belongs there- plastics and all

Cutting the frame into pieces will make the plastics fit like shit right??

Im not knocking any of the other YFZ conversions, hats off to all the guys who have done this, but i really haven't been overly impressed with any of them.

Im sure once a few real clean conversions surface, the copiers will copy.. Alot easier having someone else do all the homework and research and than just copy there work banghead banghead banghead banghead

I currently have one of these in the works, I am by no means a fabricator, but i have done endless research on this project figuring what will and wont work.

Joe

when the roller gets here i can make the silencer center tubes that go on the inside i think i will work on it again after that. there are a bunch of motors and frame work i am doing on other stuff right now that pays HAHA so i'm kinda short on time to work on it. also been building tooliing for my lathe to cut dies for radius roller and larger die's for a tube bender.

i need to purchse a few differnt radiators and fit them all in and see how it will work. i'm thinking 660 rappy 700 rappy or cr85. i need a thin long and not to wide radiator. ive been looking at differt styles of radiators for a few months now.

i honestly think a 2" stretch on a rider would not be bad and the overall result would help fit pipes much nicer. also the plastic should fit and still look right. i may work on some custom pipes to fit them much tighter into the frame.

Im not trying to knock anyone. i think these conversions are great and everyone has there own idea. I understand the pipes looking wide up front and they do. however they are way forward from where they are on a banshee. Hence no more melted pants. lol. Me and my friend learned quite a bit from this conversion. if we were to build another there are definitly somethings we would do different. I have rode this bike quite a bit and put some time on it. To my surprise I have had no overheating issues using the stock yfz radiator. This was a major concern as the process went along. If we did another we would also widen the front motor mount bars and use different motor mount plates. This would allow more clearance in the pipe to head area. We actually removed the stock bars shortened the to bolt stock banshee front motor plates to and tre tig melded them. These conversions are cool

• 2 months later...

this one got pushed back again. too much to do in the shop DANGIT!@! someone come do the day to day stuff for me so i can work on about 4 differnt builds i ahve going right now..

1. this yfz

2. the "drag version of the yfz. yes i have another whole roller

3> barney ( bone stock "looking" bike and i mean pipes and all

4. turbocharged cheetah. might be a 400 and maybe the 485 i dunno yet this ones going to take a lot of time.