yfz frame conversion

A 250 was my original plan,but i had a 81' 465 that was just sitting in the shed.Considering the weight savings in that air cooled engine,it won't have to make big hp to be fast. The 465 was by far the best of the air cooled Yami's. Its amazing how well the older yamaha engines fit into these newer chassis with some minor modifications.

yes just behind the upper a-arm mounts ther are 1.25 cromoly tubes fitted and welded in. the pipes clear them fine and the frame will fit out frame pipes with no modifications to the pipes. this was one of my goals. as the other frame i will be doing will have out frame pipes. and i absolutely do not want to have to modify them at all.

any inframe pipe will need modified but most seem that the existing sections welds will be able to be cut out and repositioned without changing the demisions of the pipes. the stinger tubes of course will be totally custom. the pipes i have for this one are custom LSR spec, lrd pipes that were built for an outlaw they fit like a glove after the modifications to the frame.. there will be no additional cuts or welding or need for re chrome to be done to the head pipes they will also not stick out of the frame really far. as one of my other goals was to be able to ride it like a 450 is ridden up on th e tank with out burning my legs off.. the drag version may have the full down tube still in it as i am thinking of stretching the front out 14 inches. the oil tank mount tubes will of course be gone. i am planing on building an adjustable length jig for that frame.. as money allows..

i am shooting to have the "test" done for sandfest or at least by HQ..!!

side view with pipes..

100_0433.jpg

tomorrow or this weekend i hope to be able to work on it some more. i have a bunch of local builds i need to get done for sandfest and thats going to make this project sit on the back burner for a bit. which sucks!