Oregon ATV safety card? What other rule changes?

Ducman

I heard about Oregon now starting to faze in a safety card that you have to carry showing that you completed a safety course. I checked it out and I see that the course is given on-line and free, so that doesn't seem like a big deal, although it is lame and pisses me off. I'm wondering if there are other BS rules that have been changed or added to the list.

The main thing I'm concerned about is if you will still be able to ride with a passenger on an ATV made for 1 rider, that is; can my 5 year old kid ride with me (with a helmet of course)?

Also, is Oregon doing the thing now like CA where if the sticker on the ATV/motorcycle says "for 16 or 18 years and older" then as a parent you can get a big ass ticket for letting your kid that is under 16 or 18 ride it.

What else did they F-up that I don't even know about yet?

I heard about Oregon now starting to faze in a safety card that you have to carry showing that you completed a safety course. I checked it out and I see that the course is given on-line and free, so that doesn't seem like a big deal, although it is lame and pisses me off. I'm wondering if there are other BS rules that have been changed or added to the list.

The main thing I'm concerned about is if you will still be able to ride with a passenger on an ATV made for 1 rider, that is; can my 5 year old kid ride with me (with a helmet of course)?

Also, is Oregon doing the thing now like CA where if the sticker on the ATV/motorcycle says "for 16 or 18 years and older" then as a parent you can get a big ass ticket for letting your kid that is under 16 or 18 ride it.

If you take that online test (1-2 hours it sucks) then it will explain all the rules for riding with kids etc.

No, they took the sensible route and have what they call rider fit guidelines, so as long as the rider fits the bike they are on it doesn't matter what the recomended age is. The only bad thing is in the next couple of years they are going to require hands on training for riders under 16 and the training course people still go by the age recomendations.

If you take that online test (1-2 hours it sucks) then it will explain all the rules for riding with kids etc.

Yeah, I figured it would explain some things, but sometimes what is "leagal" and what is a safety recommendation are quite a bit different.

• 4 weeks later...

When you buy a new quad from a Dealer they will pay you to take the course. I got paid $100 to take it in Missouri. Had to show up though, wasn't online.

You are talking about the ATV Safety Institute course. Oregon now has it's own Operator Permit requirement that is done by taking an online test and getting a permit card that you are supposed to carry with you when you are riding. Basically an Off Road Drivers Lisence.

the test is brutal if you don't live in Oregon. I challenged the course the first time and I'm from Canada don't really know all the local laws. I failed by 1 question got all the way to question 50 and got it wrong. I not an idiot either I'm a 4th year university student.

the course was boring as shit took an hour and 45mins to finish and everything repeated itself over and over. It should have been 4 chapters but it was 13.

California doesn't have such a law. The strange law we DO have, is that if the rider is under 18, the supervising adult must have a safety certificate from the state. I've never once heard of, or seen this enforced, anywhere. I am probably wrong about this, as I've never bought a brand new quad, but doesn't the sticker say something along the lines of "no one under the age of 16 without proper training"?

No, they took the sensible route and have what they call rider fit guidelines, so as long as the rider fits the bike they are on it doesn't matter what the recomended age is.

That's pretty much what BLM (Bureau of Land Management) does here. If the kid is obviously too small to be riding a full size ATV, they might say something if the kid looks like they're not under control.

They were enforcing it out at glamis once last season. There was even a guy driving around the washes handing out a flyer for a class to get you that certificate..also i think the law is if your 16 or under your not allowed to ride anything bigger than 50cc :yank:

They were enforcing it out at glamis once last season. There was even a guy driving around the washes handing out a flyer for a class to get you that certificate..also i think the law is if your 16 or under your not allowed to ride anything bigger than 50cc :yank:

There are enforcing every rule/law this year. I was at Horsfall campground and my group got 3 warnings and 3 tickets, one for expired atv tag by one month, one for no riders safety card ( which you have to carry on you at all times) and one for a over the db liimit. They probably woulda kept handing out tickets but my group said screw it and put there bikes in the trailer and didn't ride the rest of the weekend. Looks like they have doubled up on park rangers but cant seem to fix the showers/bathrooms at HorsfaL... hmmm wonder were all our money is going, obvisiouly not back into the campgrounds.. its a joke

There are enforcing every rule/law this year. I was at Horsfall campground and my group got 3 warnings and 3 tickets, one for expired atv tag by one month, one for no riders safety card ( which you have to carry on you at all times) and one for a over the db liimit. They probably woulda kept handing out tickets but my group said screw it and put there bikes in the trailer and didn't ride the rest of the weekend. Looks like they have doubled up on park rangers but cant seem to fix the showers/bathrooms at HorsfaL... hmmm wonder were all our money is going, obvisiouly not back into the campgrounds.. its a joke

KOA is a lot nicer and is fairly cheap if you're not alone. As for the online test....seemed like common sense to me. I think it timed me out once and then I was good to go.

• 1 month later...

I was at spinreel this last weekend and they cited a 19 year girl for riding an atv w/o a license. She has never had a drivers license and was out riding with her grandparents. They cruised the whole day use area checking everyone for current tags.

When they first drove into the day use area, they where driving the wrong way. It cause a traffic jam with people leaving with trailers. Some some guy said to them they were going the wrong way. So the cop cop got out of her truck and got into his face about interferring with an officer conducting official business.

• 4 weeks later...

You guys are soo lucky you have such a government that cares soo much for you. Remember its always "FOR THE CHILDREN" first. Seatbelt laws, atv laws, anti gun. gun grabbers always wanna protect the children first as a back door way to start screwing you and pass more feel good "common sense" as they call them that infringe on you and your life. The pristine environment is another good arguement they use against atvs. Remember this crap when you vote!