banshee featured in dirt rider magazine

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah not a loyalist I have a CRF450 dirt bike. I would buy a banshee before a 400ex though. It is just not that much better carving or jumping plus the motor is a turd and has no potential. The banshee motor more than makes up for the handling if you are talking banshee vs 400ex. All I was saying is the 400ex is totally a waste with these 450 quads out now and the banshee still has something on them. I agree the Banshee is not the best for anything other than a straight line even with my outlaw framed shee. A purpose built 450 is going to be better on a mx track or in the woods. That being said I do love this thing it is fast as hell and handles real close to a fully built mx 450. I love surprising the hell out of everyone that rides with me at how fast a banshee can be on a track, dunes, woods this sucker is a monster. I would highly recommend an outlaw frame and a well built fi system if you want to sport the shee anywhere other than the dunes. If not just get both a 450 and a shee for the dunes. I talked with Bobby at LSR they will build a 250r or Yamaha 450 based frame for 2,500.00 right now! Pretty damn good price.

again, if you're a woods or general trail rider the "turd" as you call it is better for most people. no you cant get "banshee power" out of them, but you can make them fast enough for most people. sorry, but not everybodies opinion isnt gonna be the same. did i mention i own both and have owned a couple 450s too? i also have MANY orther current toys, including a 450 dirtbike. for what the 400 was designed for, its still a damn good quad even by todays standards. i dont care if you agree or anybody elses for that matter

Edited by 2K1Banshee350

another touchy banshee loyalist... you're gonna tell me a banshee carves a super tight turn like a 400ex? has the suspension of a 400ex? jumps as nice as a 400ex? has the low end torque of a 400ex? can go through tioght woods with out touching the clutch? get a clue buddybooby

I'm saying the Banshee does all of those things better than the 400EX. Have you ever ridden a 400EX? They are short, tall and narrow. In stock form they handle like shit. The Banshee in stock form handles better than a 400EX. The Banshee is also faster. Stock for stock there is no comparison. Comparable riders will be able to make a Banshee go faster than a 400EX any day of the week.

I am all for machines that will out handle or out perform a Banshee, but a 400EX isn't doing it. It needs suspension and motor upgrades just to be able to keep up with a stock Banshee.

Now the new 450 class has some awesome machines that will blow the Banshee away in the performance department as long as all things remain stock.

You're just another victim to the propaganda of Dirtwheels magazine. They have done their job into tricking you into thinking the 400EX is superior to the Banshee.

again, if you're a woods or general trail rider the "turd" as you call it is better for most people. no you cant get "banshee power" out of them, but you can make them fast enough for most people. sorry, but not everybodies opinion isnt gonna be the same. did i mention i own both and have owned a couple 450s too? i also have MANY orther current toys, including a 450 dirtbike. for what the 400 was designed for, its still a damn good quad even by todays standards. i dont care if you agree or anybody elses for that matter

You had 450 quads and sold them and kept your 400? You are right if the motor is left alone the 400 is not a bad quad it works great for a wife bike. It is a better choice if you want go slow. Make it fast? Sure you can get them to run with a stock 450 but they don't last that way and it will cost 2500. The 400 isn't a bad bike but it has no place now the 450's are light years ahead in every department and the banshee has straight line over the 450’s.

Damn good, I would say mediocrity is a better description for your beloved 400.

Windycity no worries man. I have not even read the article. 2k1 is right everyone is entitled to an opinion. My guess is if you cornered an editor of dirtwheels they would not dispute a banshee with carbs and a stock frame can be built into a beast. I really like this setup is it a must have for every banshee owner heck no. I would say your 472 is no different nothing wrong with having a monster :D As far as the stock frame being not to bad with good suspenders it is ok but still the weakest point of the shee. I would say come swap rides with me at the dunes. A quick skip across the back breakers you would be sold on the frame and setup. How is that for a pitch for me riding that 472?

Damn, I can't believe the 400ex is getting bashed so bad. I really like them. They are fun bikes. Yeah, I would agree they are not speed monsters or anything but they are fun. Stock for stock, I never had a problem racing anyone in the woods with the 400ex. They are not my favorite ride out there mostly because I'm more into twostrokes but I would buy another one for a woods beater since you can pick them up cheap now. If I was buying new, no I would not buy one. I would probably buy a YZF 450 or a KTM.

Now, comparing the 400ex to the KFX/LTZ 400, I'll take the 400ex. A friend of mine had a KFX400 and my brother and I raced the 400ex vs the KFX. We each jumped on one and dragged them. They are about the same in a straight line. We would switch bikes and get the same results. I just liked the way the 400ex felt over the KFX. Plus I seen a ton of people have problems with the KFX were the 400ex would just keep going. Now, I don't now how the hondas do once they start getting modded but stock they are very reliable.

Being honest and comparing stock to stock, for the average rider who isn't into only dunes or drags I think the 400ex would be a better choice. Not everyone likes the banshee powerband and like the more torquey power of a 4stroke. My brother and I are pretty close in riding skills and he liked his 400ex more then my banshee, where I liked the banshee more. But I have more experience riding the kind of powerband a banshee has then he does.

Im mostly talking about the original KFXs vs the older 400exs. I havent ridden the EFI ones yet and this was before the they started getting the good shocks.

As far as the problems go, a lot of small stuff and weak tie rods. I know a guy who went through about 6 tie rods in a year just riding trails. Another guy was having problems with the cooling fans cutting out on him and the bike over heating. I really dont remember the other issues I have heard.

Yeah I do agree the air cooling really holds them back but I think they were going for simple design.

Im not saying the 400ex is the greatest quad out there but for a causal rider who isnt looking for top speed or spending a ton of money its a good quad.

I don't know why you guys are bustin his balls. That's a sweet bike and works well. I used to tease Loboboy about those paddles and he'd say he's a duner not dragger and that bike was awesome. If we rate bikes for fuel mileage then my daughters LTZ250 was the best cuz it would go 2 days at the dunes on 3 gals. Shutup already about the 400ex, maybe the polaris scrambler is the best bike?

I'm saying the Banshee does all of those things better than the 400EX. Have you ever ridden a 400EX? They are short, tall and narrow. In stock form they handle like shit. The Banshee in stock form handles better than a 400EX. The Banshee is also faster. Stock for stock there is no comparison. Comparable riders will be able to make a Banshee go faster than a 400EX any day of the week.

I am all for machines that will out handle or out perform a Banshee, but a 400EX isn't doing it. It needs suspension and motor upgrades just to be able to keep up with a stock Banshee.

Now the new 450 class has some awesome machines that will blow the Banshee away in the performance department as long as all things remain stock.

You're just another victim to the propaganda of Dirtwheels magazine. They have done their job into tricking you into thinking the 400EX is superior to the Banshee.

tall? the seat height is no higher then a banshee. narrow? 2 inches wider then a banshee....i dont care who u are, i remember u making that hill billy banshee hq video when u were just a regualar member "banshee head quarters yeee haw" what a hill billy. if you cant admit that a 400ex has some things over a banshee, then you're just a biased fool. a banshee handles better and has better suspension? lol

Edited by 2K1Banshee350

tall? the seat height is no higher then a banshee. narrow? 2 inches wider then a banshee....i dont care who u are, i remember u making that hill billy banshee hq video when u were just a regualar member "banshee head quarters yeee haw" what a hill billy. if you cant admit that a 400ex has some things over a banshee, then you're just a biased fool. a banshee handles better and has better suspension? lol

You sold your 450 quads to keep a 400 :wacko: . That pretty much says it all. You like to go slower cool. If your slow 400 is better handling then a banshee it is not by much and only in the tight slow trails. The Kawie and suziki both are better versions of it. Who rides your 400? My bet would be it's a girl. It is good for that. You just need a just a few more mods on that shee and you will never want to ride that 400 again.

You sold your 450 quads to keep a 400 :wacko: . That pretty much says it all. You like to go slower cool. If your slow 400 is better handling then a banshee it is not by much and only in the tight slow trails. The Kawie and suziki both are better versions of it. Who rides your 400? My bet would be it's a girl. It is good for that. You just need a just a few more mods on that shee and you will never want to ride that 400 again.

please dont make assumptions, you just keep looking like an idiot (a biased one at that) for your info i traded my 04 450r in years ago for a brand new kx250, the yfz i just sold that a few yeas ago for the money. the 400ex i got dirt cheap and its all stock and in excellent shape, couldnt pass it up. i had a 06 kfx400, it was faster and had a tad better suspension, but the honda still feels more plated and has more low end. yes my banshee is faster and will spin the tires at will and powerrslides like a demon, but thats all it has on the 400 (and it sounds cooler too)

please dont make assumptions, you just keep looking like an idiot (a biased one at that) for your info i traded my 04 450r in years ago for a brand new kx250, the yfz i just sold that a few yeas ago for the money. the 400ex i got dirt cheap and its all stock and in excellent shape, couldnt pass it up. i had a 06 kfx400, it was faster and had a tad better suspension, but the honda still feels more plated and has more low end. yes my banshee is faster and will spin the tires at will and powerrslides like a demon, but thats all it has on the 400 (and it sounds cooler too)

Idiot eh you still bought and ride a 400 you have had good quads and yet you bought a 400. There is a reason you got it dirt cheap. Biased any brand of 450 is light years ahead of your quad. If you like it cool man to each his own. I just don’t think it is better than any 450 or other 400 for that matter and the Banshee just has so much more potential.

Idiot eh you still bought and ride a 400 you have had good quads and yet you bought a 400. There is a reason you got it dirt cheap. Biased any brand of 450 is light years ahead of your quad. If you like it cool man to each his own. I just don’t think it is better than any 450 or other 400 for that matter and the Banshee just has so much more potential.

where did i say name caller that a 400ex is a better machine then a 450? and in even some ways a 400 is a better trail machine... i dont care about "hp potential" when most of my riding is on the east coast... where i live. woods and trails. thats why my banshee with bolt ons is just fine, to each his own buddy. no need to knock people because u cant fathom how the latest and greastest isnt the best for everybody and thats too bad