new pipes, just released

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R2 PIPE REVIEW

Bike- 1998 Yamaha banshee

Mods- stock cylinders, ported reed cages with boysen reeds, .030 milled stock head. R2 pipes, stock carbs running 280 mains, 27.5 pilots, +2 swing-arm, HD clutch kit, yfz450 complete front end conversion.

Conditions- 70 degrees, sunny, altitude about 1100ft, gravel road, and mowed field for testing

Initial review- I bought this set of R2 pipes off of ebay, Tom was great with communication, answered every question I had, and a pleasure to talk to. He even asked if I needed help on how to cut my plastics for the fitment of these pipes. I received the pipes in 3 business days. Packaging was nice, neat, and packed very well. The welds and craftsmanship looks great on the pipes. I bought a set of high temperature black painted pipes, paint was perfect, no blemishes.

Fitment- the pipes were some of the best fitting pipes I have used, bolted right on without a hassle. Immediately you could see with Tom’s new design, the fuel petcock was easier to reach, and that a plug check was more accessible than the original Rockets. Also sitting on the bike, my legs did not rest against the pipes like they do on the previous Rockets.

Start-up the pipes had a nice crisp sound, clicking it into gear and letting the clutch out, the bike was very responsive, no lag, great torque and throttle response. I was able to lug it around the field no problem, a little shot from the throttle the bike thrust forward and the pipes were on. Mid range is where these pipes kicked in on the stock cylinders. They hit hard, and pulled very hard showing no signs of shutting off clear to the top. Once the power band hit, it would set my new ITP holeshots spinning. Even with the +2 swingarm the front end wanted to come up, and would with ease on demand. On my bike these pipes had no “dead spot” they had a nice responsive bottom end to them, clear up to the top. Through every gear they pulled, and was easy to keep it in the revs. I have ran fmf fatty’s, Toomey t5’s and cpi inframes on my stock cylinders. The fmf’s are really no comparison, the R2’s shined in every aspect over the fmf’s. This was actually the first statement my buddy said after he took my bike for a ride. Even over the t5’s and cpi’s the mid hit was harder, and it pulled more through the top. Overall i am very pleased with the pipes. You can tell a lot of time went into these pipes, when you have a pipe that performs in all aspects a pipe should.

Andrew

you said these pipes really shined in the mid range and pulled up top. thats great but i wanna know how was your lowend tourqe.would you say this pipe would complement a set up for a aggressive trail port to a dune or drag ported bike? i love low end tourqe but we all know its a give and take with the top end. but if these pipes do the trick right on sign me up for a shinny chrome set.

Yes, The R2's have gd low end torque. Powerband comes on early, hard and keeps pulling. I liked them so much I bought 3 sets. Please see my earlier ride report discussing some of the questions you have and the following as applicable to my test on an RZ powered banshee.

Conditions:

Partially cloudy

50 degrees

Elevation: Approximately 800 ft above sea level

Terrain:

Sandy/Dirt and grass mixture, gravel road

MX track moguls and open areas

Quad:

06 RZ350 powered Banshee with following mods

-MX Port

-Pro Design Cool Head (21 cc domes on gas)

-V-Force 3 reeds

-28 FS Mikuni carbs

-R2 Pipes

Comments: All testing was done with no jetting work. Quad is currently jetted for Rocket Pipes as follows: (20 Pilot, 4rd clip on stock 28 fs needle and 340 main) Bike ran exceptional well with this jetting.

Idle:

Pipes had no effect on idle speed. Throttle response was instantaneous and was immediately in the revs when applying even the smallest amount of throttle.

Low end:

Once the clutch was disengaged the quad had immediate acceleration. Power was there instantaneously and had exceptional torque while never entering the power band. Compared to the Rockets the quad came on earlier and harder with the new pipes. A quick blurp of the throttle off a slow idle speed resulted in instant front end loft. Front end appeared to be lighter due to the additional low end torque.

Mid Range:

The bike could be lugged a tad bit more with the new pipes in comparison to the Rockets and as a result you did not need to downshift to accelerate at a good rate. Even in the lug mode once throttle was replied powerband came on really quick. Where the Rockets had a what I call two phase powerband, one initial hit then a lot of rev the new pipes had the hit and rev at the same time, basically the powerband came on harder, faster and sooner.

Top end: (Gravel Road Test)

Unfortunately, due to the fact that the jetting was not checked, wide open throttle was not achieved. However, hard straight line acceleration 1-6 gear was conducted and the bike never left powerband,

Summary:

From bottom to top the pipes performance is incredible. From lugging through the gears to heavy throttle applications the pipes perform.

you said these pipes really shined in the mid range and pulled up top. thats great but i wanna know how was your lowend tourqe.would you say this pipe would complement a set up for a aggressive trail port to a dune or drag ported bike? i love low end tourqe but we all know its a give and take with the top end. but if these pipes do the trick right on sign me up for a shinny chrome set.

X2

Pm me a price on a chrome set

thanks

I only have 2 videos of these pipes. These pipes were ran on a stock stroke, stock port banshee, milled stock head and boysen reeds on ported cages.

The quality of the riding video is poor due to dunnys shitty cell phone lol.

First video is of the bike idling and giving it a few revs.

This video is of me riding dunnys bike. I didnt want to rip on his bike, you can tell i was being very respectable lol. You still get the idea. These pipes hit really hard. I didnt even clutch it. Just rolled through the turn and hit the throttle. You can tell how much more power is on tap i barely hit pipe when i changed gears.

I'm going to drop off a bike this coming weekend for fitment.

I'm very excited about a new set of pipes. While I'm not a trail rider, MX rider, etc., Tom still has something up his sleeve for me.

I'm not worried about Dyno numbers...never really have been.

I could start my own paper filing company with how many time slips I have on my bike over the years, I know what it runs.

Really looking forward to doing something new....

If I can get a set of pipes that will come on a little sooner than most drag pipes but still have incredible overrev/top end, I know they'll be a winner.

My bike won't be done for a little while..but I promised some pretty pictures when I get it together.

It would be nice to deliver some solid time slips as well.

people dont read very well...lol

Start-up the pipes had a nice crisp sound, clicking it into gear and letting the clutch out, the bike was very responsive, no lag, great torque and throttle response. I was able to lug it around the field no problem, a little shot from the throttle the bike thrust forward and the pipes were on.

people dont read very well...lol

Start-up the pipes had a nice crisp sound, clicking it into gear and letting the clutch out, the bike was very responsive, no lag, great torque and throttle response. I was able to lug it around the field no problem, a little shot from the throttle the bike thrust forward and the pipes were on.

maybe your response could have went like this instead of the wise crack. yes, the pipes came on hard and strong on the low end just like a lowend pipe. it had no lack of power on the low end what so ever like a in frame shear would. but i guess no one taught you how to be nice .thx for the response.

Edited by SD1026

Yes the chromes do look nice. And will picking them up this weekend from Tom. Talked to him on the phone a bit today and a seemed like a great person to do business with. The bad thing is my Banshee is in pieces and won't get any photos for a few months, but he had one set of chromes and I needed that so I am already to go when my quad is ready.

maybe your response could have went like this instead of the wise crack. yes, the pipes came on hard and strong on the low end just like a lowend pipe. it had no lack of power on the low end what so ever like a in frame shear would. but i guess no one taught you how to be nice .thx for the response.

i was not trying to be a dick, but i gave my best/honest description in my review already. the pipes do not come on hard on the low end like a lowend pipe. but they do have a strong torque feel to them, especially for being a mid to top end pipe that they are. Like i said they have no lag, and on my stock cylinders no "dead spot" on the bottom, unlike other mid to top end pipes that have really nothing until they hit the power band. these had a smooth but strong low end, i was able to lug it around the field, all i had to do was hit the throttle and the mid range would rip. just clicking it into gear and letting the clutch out i could feel a differnce in the bottom end compared to the cpi's, and toomey's.

by thursday, i will have my hjr dune ported cylinders on, with the 35 pwks to see how they work on a good mid to top end port job. :headbang:

I will be getting another pair in chrome within the next week, so i will put some pictures up with them mounted on my orange bike, and my red banshee. i have the original rockets on my red bike now, so you can see a comparason between the old and new r2s.