Extreme Override Owners

When we started kolb02's 4mill with the 1-5 nuetral down override duneable extreme , it started making a grindy noise like it was trying to engage into gear in nuetral. Like he said we shut it off and started it again and the noise quit. After hearing about the problems, I told my customer that it would be wise to pull the tranny out and go with a regular duneable override or have this one checked out. We pulled the motor tonite to remove the tranny and we are steering toward a proven duneable override, instead of taking a chance on the extreme override.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for shits and giggles what does kolbs cases look like,I recently sent back two trannies.From my research the springs on the shaft are binding and fighting each other.I set both trannies in cases and spun it on an electric motor at low rpm.My cases got trashed quick

There have been a few known problems with the extremes and WCR has a few ideas on what it is going to take to correct them. But im not sure if HP has anything to do with it from what ive heard the trannys that have broke have been on a clutchless downshift or just putting around. We have a extreme in a bike that made 115hp, we had some shifting issues at first but im 99% sure it was shift shaft issues. Greg had us try to add the old duneable springs as well and we did but the tranny seems to be shifting just fine now.

i have the 1-5 n, down.. after hearing that my builder's went south, then shannon lost his.... I contacted greg and he asked me to pull it and send it back so he can check it out..... the guy was really cool! and i hope it all works out!!!!!

std override, duneable override, EXTREME override.. WOW i think the problem is the extreme!! any time extreme or high quality or SUPER is placed in a description it most of the time breaks. ( superstition??)

i have a duneable override had no issues with it at all BUT i also have experience with std overrides and know how to ride them and thats mostly how i treated the duneable but i dont have as much worry to let some one check it out. its also a nice trans to "learn" on. it takes a while to break your slap shifting clutch hands habbit. not sure what the deal is with the extreme. but i think i'll just stick with my std's and one duneable. in my 2 full drag bikes the 1-5's std override i have has had NO issues since i went to 1-5 n down and its been an excellent transmission.. no problems at all and even a few OOPS! out there on the dunes and still shifting good. its NOT a wcr tho the company that cut it is out of business now ( shame its a beautiful trans, polished drum.. shifted excellent from day one) i am sure WCR will get it figured out and fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Your the one guy who might not break one........Your bike isn't making big numbers HP wise. (BUT read the caution below)

I have had (in many calls) about 3-4 hours of conversation with Greg about this tranny and the problems they are having. They DO have a problem. He hasen't found what it is yet. It might be HP related or in the downshift action. He's got a few broken ones coming back and wants to see what happened so he has a better grasp of the problem. He's trying to recall all the EXTREMES. He has ZERO problems with the standard overrides and his Duneable overrides. He did alot of testing of the Extreme, but the HP was low (60-75) and on dirt. He's not testing in sand. If you have an Extreme in your bike, at this point you can pull it out and return it (he wants to make things right with people) or as a precaution CLUTCH IT WHEN YOU DOWNSHIFT. He still thinks you can backload it without issues. The problem for most seams to be when they click down into another gear even if only lightly back loaded. I don't want to say too much in place of Greg. This tranny has great potential, but he's still got a bug to find. Calling him is the best course of action at this point. (As always, contacting any builder is tough because if he's on the phone...the work isn't getting done. So try and try again later.) He's not selling the Extreme till he get's it figured out. He's got about 50 in the field, so he's swamped with in-going and out-going calls to try and alert people and respond to people's questions.

I hope this answers some of the questions people might be asking.

ONLY the EXTREME is in question. The Standard Override and the Duneable Overrides are doing as good as they ever were.

well i did infact break mine.

if these trannys are weak due to a high hp application, i believe my oem, spread bore, stock case 350 4mill would have smoked it right after assembly.

it did in fact break while downshifting between 4th and 3rd gear. i do not know the extent of the damage yet as i have not split the

cases yet. that joker was sure running great right before it broke though.

No, I have called Jeff at FAST and he has nothing for me as of last week! I am getting very upset! Not at Jeff but I need to put something in the bike within 2 weeks and I have not got an answer yet. I sent my tarnny back to FAST about 3 weeks ago explaining to them that I just want a regular dunable now, I don't have time to wait and figure this out! If anyone has any other info chime in.

Im in the same boat only with two trannies,wackos motor is now getting a stock style cut tranny by me because he cant wait anymore.Greg from wcr has had my trannies for quite a while,I have not recieved a call from him at all.Im very upset with having to guess if what hes doing will work this time,high dollar builds and customers expect the best and this is surely not.This problem made me loose interest in this race season.I should have stuck to skate boarding down the track ,less problems.I have a newly built rigid,cub,tires,axle the whole nine but I cant do anything without a tranny,not to mention how much money i have laid up with these things,trannies ,forks,shipping,insurance,I can go on forever

So whats the updates with these? Are they getting them fixed and figured out?

i think it may be the shifting mechanism. i got around to splitting my engine cases last night and expected to see total carnage,

only to find all the gears and what not still intact and looking just like when i had first recieved it. i can not tell right off

what is going on but the primary shafts will almost make a full revolution before it gets in a bind then will not rotate any further.

it is like they are stuck in between gears. :shrugani:

i did not recieve any springs to put between the shift forks like all the other overrides i have seen. could this be the problem?

I know this doesn't help you guys already having problems but I dune rode(and shifted however I wanted) a regular WCR duneable for 2 yrs w/no problems. It is now in a drag bike and going on it's 5th season and haven't even changed a shift fork. I would go that route and be done w/it till he figures these things out.