Trails or Dune...Which requires more skill.

Trail riders or dune riders  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am gonna go with Dunes on this one, especially the St Anthony's dunes, there is a huge mix of big and small dunes and after the wind has blown over the dunes the witch eyes are horrendous and the razor backs are steep as hell, then you mix in the fact that St Ants has tons of lava rock, so it's not just a matter of flying off a 20 foot razor back, but you might actually land in a big old pile of lava rock that will Fuck you and your bike up... My buddies brother smashed his leg and CR500 into about 100 pieces out there because a razor back had a pile of rock at the bottom. It's ok to go slow in the trails but not at the dunes, if you are slow out there you will kill yourself.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shootself:

I am gonna go with Dunes on this one, especially the St Anthony's dunes, there is a huge mix of big and small dunes and after the wind has blown over the dunes the witch eyes are horrendous and the razor backs are steep as hell, then you mix in the fact that St Ants has tons of lava rock, so it's not just a matter of flying off a 20 foot razor back, but you might actually land in a big old pile of lava rock that will Fuck you and your bike up... My buddies brother smashed his leg and CR500 into about 100 pieces out there because a razor back had a pile of rock at the bottom. It's ok to go slow in the trails but not at the dunes, if you are slow out there you will kill yourself.

:shootself: wtf is a Razorbck??? is it the peak of a dune???

ok, well how about drag racing and hillclimbing? which takes more skill?

That is a hard one.....Both take skill, but different skills. The stuff you do Loco isn't like the hill climbing from where I'm from. There are no jumps and such, it's just on steep ass hill. They guy that get's to the top, or in the case of more than one rider making the top, the fastest rider wins. In some cases, it's the rider that makes it highest on the hill that wins. You get a few runs, with the best of them being your time or distance.

Drag racing is a mix of rider and tune/set up. Even if you have the meanest engine in the field, if you can't cut a light and make your shifts, your going to lose. If you can't get that power to the ground over a wide range of track conditions during a single day, your not going to make it up the ladder, and you will lose. If your running a bracket, you have to pick a dial in, and run it on the money or get lucky or your back on the trailer.

I'd have to say, for over all skill, drag is harder. You have to win more than one race to win, and you don't get more than once chance at it.

I've never rode dunes. Will soon though LS here I come in June. But I'd say trails, way more Obstacles, more clutch and throttle control is required and we have hills here that will rival any dune. Hitting a straight up hill in 4th just to carry speed to make the straight up incline not to mention dodgin trees on either side and being prepared to Jump off if u don't make it so u don't roll 300 yds back down the hill under your quad takes skill lol.

agreed here. Small dunes like Silver Lake Michigan or Little Sahara OK are pretty easy. Large dunes like St. Anthony, LS Utah, or Glamis take some skill (and balls) to ride to their full extent. There are hill climbs in Utah and Idaho that will kill you if you aren't careful. If you're in the wrong gear or let the power fall off the pipe, you might as well jump off the bike and let it go, because you will NOT stop it from going back down the hill.

Trails can take a lot of skill too, it just depends on the trail and the pace you ride it.

If you think the dunes are harder please come to PA and try to ride trails that are mostly ridden by 4x4 quads and get through the same crap as they do. Then there are huge rocks, tree roots, logs, and countless other natural obsticals. Then how about clinbing a steep hill with these obsticals on them as well. It takes alot of skill to do well in my area with a quad that has very little ground clearance and no 4 wheel drive. NW PA and NE OH has some of the most diverse terrain I have ridden. With that being said, I would love to ride the dunes and am very jealous of those who can. I am sure I would be intimadated the first few times out.

Good topic...

I havent road on the dunes yet, need sparkies first but hopefully I can experience it this summer.

Trail riding your always on the clutch, keeping your rpms in the power band. I know one trail that I have road a few times is only a 50" trail...it gets really tight especially when you meet a bike head on in the corners...there eyes get so big when they realize that there is no more room around a quad.

I would just think that at the dunes you are paying attention to who might be coming over the other side of the hill but like mentioned before on the trails you have rocks, ruts, corners, trees and other idiots riding just like you head on.