Lock Up Clutch

um im not an expert but by the name i would say it locks up your clutch so slippage is very little or reduced greatly , if you were meaning how does the mechanism work idk i would like to know too

when you give your bike the gas your clutch is going to slip excessivly, new or used, the lockout will eliminate this slipping and in the process transfer more of the engines horsepower to the rear wheels instead of it being lost through a slipping clutch. The lockout can also extend the life of your clutch 2 to 3 times and remove the need to use stiff springs.The lockout has six weighted fingers surrounding its perimiter that apply progressivly more force to the pressure plate as the RPM's of the engine increase,it is this force on the pressure plate that will eliminate your clutch from slipping.

just to clarify the above post, it's mostly for high hp bikes drag/dune. for most bikes you can just get a good clutch, and mabey hd springs without slipping. they don't just normally slip when you hit the gas, unless the clutch is already smoked. you just run one once you reach the point that you need it because the clutch won't hold up otherwise

• Like 1

I have a Direct Drive lockup on my banshee. It I have a modded shift star, with shift pro kit. It shifts fine. The thing I like about a lockup is that you dont have to use heavy springs. I shift with out the clutch when just doing normal riding. Another thing I like about it is this. It will allow your clutch to slip a little bit out of the hole on a 2nd gear launch.

When Idling in gear or reving in gear at the starting line with the clutch pulled in.

The lockup is bolted to the pressure plate / inner hub. The inner hub is conected to the transmission so the lockup is stationary and not turning. The basket is driven by the crank and rotates the fibers. Since the lockup isnt turing you rely on the clutch spring pressure for the first little bit out of the hole, until the lockup gets up to speed. So if your running oem springs it will slip a tiny bit out of the hole.

when you give your bike the gas your clutch is going to slip excessivly, new or used, the lockout will eliminate this slipping and in the process transfer more of the engines horsepower to the rear wheels instead of it being lost through a slipping clutch. The lockout can also extend the life of your clutch 2 to 3 times and remove the need to use stiff springs.The lockout has six weighted fingers surrounding its perimiter that apply progressivly more force to the pressure plate as the RPM's of the engine increase,it is this force on the pressure plate that will eliminate your clutch from slipping.

The lockup does not apply force as the RPM's go up. Since the lockup is connected to the inner hub, the faster the wheel speed, the more clamping force is applied to the pressure plate. The lockup you are referring to is the direct drive style and offers lots of tuning options between spring and weight selection. There is also what is know as a slingshot lockup with can fit under your stock cover and has a bunch of little balls that work against a ramped groove to apply pressure to the pressure plate.

The lockup does not apply force as the RPM's go up. Since the lockup is connected to the inner hub, the faster the wheel speed, the more clamping force is applied to the pressure plate.

WHAT? That doesn't make any sense.

If the motor is spinning it forces the weights or arms to go farther out or away from each other. Which puts more pressure on the clutch causing it to grab harder reducing slip.

WHAT? That doesn't make any sense.

If the motor is spinning it forces the weights or arms to go farther out or away from each other. Which puts more pressure on the clutch causing it to grab harder reducing slip.

If your in gear with the clutch pulled in the lockup doesnt spin. It is bolted to the inner hub, wich is on the transmission input shaft. How can the transmission input shaft turn when it the banshee is stoped, in gear with the clutch pulled in. So at inital launch your relying on the clutch spring pressure to compress the clutch pack until the lockup gets up to speed.

If your in gear with the clutch pulled in the lockup doesnt spin. It is bolted to the inner hub, wich is on the transmission input shaft. How can the transmission input shaft turn when it the banshee is stoped, in gear with the clutch pulled in. So at inital launch your relying on the clutch spring pressure to compress the clutch pack until the lockup gets up to speed.

Very well put. As you increase the weight on the lockup fingers they will come in sooner and will apply more force to the clutch pack. If you were to go out and purchase a new Hays 'convertable' clutch for the banshee then you would have what is known in the motorcycle world as a 'slider'. This type of clutch works off of engine RPM and does not need to use the clutch handle to get the bike going. The down side is that it is really a drag race only application because you must always be accelerating (wide open) to make the clutch 'work' as it is intended or it slip excessively. Here is a picture of what one looks like and a little video giving a demonstration. Enjoy.

Hays_Original_Co_49654e772490c.jpg

Very well put. As you increase the weight on the lockup fingers they will come in sooner and will apply more force to the clutch pack. If you were to go out and purchase a new Hays 'convertable' clutch for the banshee then you would have what is known in the motorcycle world as a 'slider'. This type of clutch works off of engine RPM and does not need to use the clutch handle to get the bike going. The down side is that it is really a drag race only application because you must always be accelerating (wide open) to make the clutch 'work' as it is intended or it slip excessively. Here is a picture of what one looks like and a little video giving a demonstration. Enjoy.

Hays_Original_Co_49654e772490c.jpg

That setup would also be like the rekluse clutch for the 450's only you dont have to be accelerating to keep it locked up. You can ride a rekluse at 1/2 throttle.

josh

That setup would also be like the rekluse clutch for the 450's only you dont have to be accelerating to keep it locked up. You can ride a rekluse at 1/2 throttle.

josh

I thought the rekluse was the clutch that the GP bikes were using to prevent engine braking in the corners...but after looking at the setup on their website they have what they call an automatic clutch which is similar to the one that I posted. The difference being that they use the balls to apply the pressure instead of the weighted arms. On the hays unit those weighted arms must overcome the spring pressure to be able to apply force to the clutch pack. With the rekluse, I could see why you would be able to ride at 1/2 throttle because the balls do not have to overcome any force to work. They can just kind of sling out at 1/2 throttle and stay there.

You will do just fine with 3 hd springs. I have tried all 6hd springs. So unless you have some Popi arms, you will get very tired pulling the clutch in from all the hd springs. More then likely you will have muscle fatigue first. So just going to 3 is a massive improvement.