studs working out of tire?

bansheejoel

The ice track i was racing on was a big oval, Both left turns. I was looking at my tires last night and the right rear has some screws working their way out. A few on the outer tread were pulled back a little bit but no screws were missing. Any ideas? Tires are maxxis razr's And screws are 5/8" kold kutters with 270 in each rear tire......Should i counter sink them a little bit. Rite now they are flush with where the head starts. I was thinking that if they were screwed in a little bit farther there wouldnt be as much leverage on them, but i dont want to strip out the rubber either. Damn i wish a company had HARD compund tires to hold the screws better.

Definitely run the 1 inch. I just watched 2 guys butcher their cross country tires with 1/2 inch studs and they are all over the track . that was one expensive mistake, and it was the guy at the dealer who steered them toward trying to use their good tires. Now when they yank the studs out the tires will disinigrate in the trails.

There is a set of c826 cheng shin tires on ebay for cheap and they aren't studded yet. don't worry about the tread being only 50%, you're riding on studs not tread so who cares. they will take 440 each or 880 in each rear if you want two per lug. my shee is sweet with the 440 though. Just make sure you run the 1 inch, there are good deals on the 1000 ct stud packs if you look.

Edited by trickedcarbine

• 11 months later...

The best thing to do would to use the cheng shins. Seen how the season is "over" if you pick some up now put them in the attic of your garge or shed or anywhere where they will get pretty warm. Leave them up there till your about ready to race. By this time those tires will be so hard from basically being baked that you should have no problem with the studs. On another note, a 1" is a must and if you have the option use gold screws and not the black ones. The gold are a courser thread and will hold better, in my experience anyway and you can resharpen the golds and not the blacks. G

Good Luck

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ice track i was racing on was a big oval, Both left turns. I was looking at my tires last night and the right rear has some screws working their way out. A few on the outer tread were pulled back a little bit but no screws were missing. Any ideas? Tires are maxxis razr's And screws are 5/8" kold kutters with 270 in each rear tire......Should i counter sink them a little bit. Rite now they are flush with where the head starts. I was thinking that if they were screwed in a little bit farther there wouldnt be as much leverage on them, but i dont want to strip out the rubber either. Damn i wish a company had HARD compund tires to hold the screws better.

i run the cheng chin 826 tires and i have a stud per lug and then i cut all of the sides of the lug off for more traction and i also bolted them from the inside so they wouldnt throw.. iv never had a leak from the tires yet :dance: