aluminum or steel shift lever?

shawn941

just went through my second aluminum shifter. i spent $60 on my last billett shifter and the damn things keep vibrating loose and end up stripping the splines. the splines on the shaft itself are still in great condition,,,luckily i guess.my last shee had a stock steel shifter and never had this problem, i even used locktite on it and helped somewhat i guess. thinkin about buyin the steel ims shift lever this time,,,what is everyone else running,,steel or billet?

just went through my second aluminum shifter. i spent $60 on my last billett shifter and the damn things keep vibrating loose and end up stripping the splines. the splines on the shaft itself are still in great condition,,,luckily i guess.my last shee had a stock steel shifter and never had this problem, i even used locktite on it and helped somewhat i guess. thinkin about buyin the steel ims shift lever this time,,,what is everyone else running,,steel or billet?

i have the steel ims shifter and it does the same thing i even tightened the bolt as tight as i could without snapping it and then put a nut on the bottom side to try and keep it together it worked for a little while but now its back doing it again

i have the steel ims shifter and it does the same thing i even tightened the bolt as tight as i could without snapping it and then put a nut on the bottom side to try and keep it together it worked for a little while but now its back doing it again

ya,,,i tried yhe same thing with the same results,,,,lol

ya,,,i tried yhe same thing with the same results,,,,lol

I've had aluminum shifters on my last 2 banshees and have never had an issue. With stripping splines or with the bolt coming loose. Don't know what to tell you accept check it and re tighten more frequently. Predictive maintenance as well as preventive maintenance.

SP

I've had aluminum shifters on my last 2 banshees and have never had an issue. With stripping splines or with the bolt coming loose. Don't know what to tell you accept check it and re tighten more frequently. Predictive maintenance as well as preventive maintenance.

SP

thats the thing,,,,,its not the bolt loosening. the bolt will be just as tight as when u intstalled it but the shifter is loose. and its not that im not checking it frequently enough,,,,it loosens like this within in hour of riding.....no problems on my last shee with stock shifter. gonna try one more aluminum one

I've had aluminum on all my bikes without any issues. Maybe try a lighter tension spring on the shift shaft and shift star roller, to make the movement easier, so you're not putting so much pressure on the shifter to change gears. That's the only thing I can think of that would make the aluminum ones wear out faster. Remember the aluminum is softer than the steel of the shift shaft, so its going to wear faster, especially if you like to stomp on your shifter lever. (never understood the people that do that)

If your looking for a little bling with reliability, you could go with a chromed stock shifter. I purchased one off of ebay awhile back and it's working out really well, and looks great.

Im looking to consider this because i went through a billet shifter and the damn Splines stripped out and the bolt broke on me once. I just had bad luck with these things. The brass splines strip out quick. Either i might try another but the stocker chrome sounds like a good idea.