Best banshee tranny oil

blaster2006

I was always researching what oils and looking for oils to use on my banshee.

we all know that the recommended oil to use for the banshee is SAE 10w-30. SAE 10w-30, means at high operating temperature, its viscosity ( the more viscosity, the thicker it is, and slower it flows, the less viscosity, the thinner it is and the more it flows), 2 strokes normally need the thinner oils, as 4 strokes tend to need the slightly thicker oils.

now, SAE 10w-30, means its a 30 viscosity oil, when its at hot operating temps, the 10w is not something important you should know, its just something to do with how thick it is at cold temps.

the most important thing to know is that Yamaha recommends 30 viscosity oils.

i was now looking about eveywhere, to find some SAE 10w-30 ( or SAE 10w-40, its close enough), all the ones i found had additives for anti-friction, which is bad for the clutches as they make them slip.

i then found out, that brands such as maxima, and Bel ray, makes special oils for motorbikes, maxima's being called MTL fluid, they have "75wt, 80wt, and 85wt", and belray has the same numbers too.

they are specially made to keep a good long lasting clutch, and dont have those anti friction chemicals, but then i thought, oh no, they are too thick because their viscosity is 75,80,85 etc, and i soon found out that, they are just like labels, and the numbers are NOT their viscosity, they are just called that, and and each one has a specified viscosity.

the 75wt is a 20 viscosity

the 80wt is a 30 viscosity ( the viscosity yamaha recommends)

the 85wt is a 40 viscosity

so its best to use the 80wt, or 85wt, personally i would prefer the 80wt because its lighter ( better flow), but they say if its too light its not good so i wouldnt go with the 75wt.

so if your looking for the ultimate oil for your banshee tranny?

go with the maxima mtl fluid 80wt, or the bel ray gear saver 80wt. those are the best oils you can get for the banshee.

i myself when i travelled and just came back yesterday, found some bottles of 85wt ( i woulda preffered 80wt) but anyway, its close enough :)

Edited by blaster2006

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use honda 80-85 weight

Same here. It's not to expensive, easy to find (honda dealer) & found that it stays cleaner longer than Bel Ray gear saver. I also got 13 years out of my factory clutch before it started to slip on a modded bike. I just recently parted that bike & engine out & the internals looked new still...It was a 1990.

Same here. It's not to expensive, easy to find (honda dealer) & found that it stays cleaner longer than Bel Ray gear saver. I also got 13 years out of my factory clutch before it started to slip on a modded bike. I just recently parted that bike & engine out & the internals looked new still...It was a 1990.

X 3 I run that in my shee and my kids Blasters and it works great.

yeah, like you are all saying, the 80-85 weights, those mean 30 and 40 viscosity, in other words like an SAE 10w-30 or SAE 30 .. or SAE 40 etc...better choose the 80 if you could choose between them, and better get MTL (maxima), or bel-ray, those are designed for wet clutches and dont have those bad chemicals that destroy wet clutches.

Edited by blaster2006

atf type f 1.29 a quart at walmart

problem with atf type f is its viscosity, im not sure exactly what it is, it just says for wet clutches, whereas pay abit more and you have the perfect viscosity, great brand and designed basically especially for your banshee.

Edited by blaster2006