Intake spacers

Woody 350

Some say you lose power because the carb is now further away. Waste of money. I bought them when i was a noob, now they sit in a box of old banshee parts.

I'm glad I ask these questions, even though I'm sure they have been asked many times before. I am new to the Banshee and 2 stroke quads, i have a couple 4 strokes. It seems there are a lot of "cool looking" parts out there that are only good in making your money go faster.

Thanks for the input

i was told that if you use a spacer it atomizes the fuel for performence . and the next time i was told that they do nothing at all.

Hmm, I don't think the amount of increased volume (which isn't too much) would help atomize fuel anymore than it already is. The spacers are just a hollow block to do exactly that, space the carbs away from the Clutch Arm. The intake ports on the cylinders atomize fuel good, as long as they are kept rough :geek:

You have to think about it like a high rise manifold off of a V8. the longer runners help at higher rpm and suck down low to change tq and hp curves. But those have valves to keep the fuel and air mix in the chamber. on a 2stroke. you have the reed valves. I could see it helping to flow more around more of the reeds rather then the round intake of the carb being closer to the cage. but that small of a spacer would be min if any none to gain on a small cc motor. Plus you have more worries about an air leak from more places. so buy two sets and let me know how they work!!! But the only real way would be to have your hands on a dyno to find out if spacing the carb farther away from the reed cage could help at all.

imo, you would want to keep the volume of the crank/porting as small as possible to keep it from absorbing the pressure of the pistons' downstroke, as well as feeding the low of the pistons' upstroke limiting the full flow of the reeds' open cycle. i think it would also increase delay time of the recipricating impulses at high speeds. spacing the carbs from the reeds may have a more positive effect though

well my 97 came with them on, (and a fuckin boost bottle) so i want them off now. they are probably the same as the ones for cars and trucks that dont do shit. so anyways, when these things are installed, do they come with longer screws? like am i going to have to buy new stock screws to get these things off?

They do several things. Spacers set the reeds back farther from all the crank case turbulance which is mandatory in certain "case reed" applications. But not on Banshees which are "cylinder reeds". They also increase crankcase volume thus reducing crank case compression ratios which may or may not be helpfull depending...

Pretty much useless on a Banshee IMHO.