250kms without a fuel stop

stink989

is it possible to go 250kms (155mile) without a fuel stop on a banshee? how much extra fuel would be needed to carry? a hell of a lot im guessing. would a banshee do a 4500km safari in the Australian bush? i know its not a very suitable quad for this type of thing but it would be awsome to do on one

are you asking if you would be able to carry a set amount of fuel strapped to the bike and go 155 miles? there is no way, a 2 stroke is not by any means a fuel economically designed motor. Are there rules that you have to carry the fuel your self and can not have a team setup ahead of you at specific locations that can refuel you? There have been many guys run a baja 1000 in the past on banshee;s. they can withstand the constant riding as long as they are built well and get proper cooling. The biggest factor is fuel.

i am almost possitive that your not going ot make 155 miles on one tank of gas. I had an aftermarket tank on my bike back in the day and it would be empty after a little ride in the dunes. I wish I could give a an amount of fuel that is consumed every min at a set RPM but there are just too many factors to even make a guess. Every motor will be differant.

It all depends on how your riding. I would say youd get 40~50 miles out of a stock size tank on a good day, and that would be cruising, but not pinned in 5th on basically flat terrain.

What kind of ATVs are these guys racing to be able to go 155 miles? Other quads really arent that much better then a Banshee, even with over sized fuel tanks and six pack racks with extra cans I couldnt see any sport bike doing that.

I think the longest race I did was 64-66 miles, two loops 32 or 33 miles each. I made it on a single 5-gal tank...if I remember right lol! So best case racing, mine would need 12.1 gallons to go 155 miles (64miles/5gal = 12.8mpg; 155miles/12.8mpg = 12.1gal...maybe if my math isn't fucked up). That's alotta fuel...but I'd find a way if I had a chance to run the outback, that would be cool as hell.

It all depends on how your riding. I would say youd get 40~50 miles out of a stock size tank on a good day, and that would be cruising, but not pinned in 5th on basically flat terrain.

What kind of ATVs are these guys racing to be able to go 155 miles? Other quads really arent that much better then a Banshee, even with over sized fuel tanks and six pack racks with extra cans I couldnt see any sport bike doing that.

on my wifes 450 i can ride almost tripple the amount of time without refueling, but it still woudlnt put me near the 155mile mark

Sorry but no way... I did a race of 103 miles, 3 loops.. with a IMS long range tank that holds almost 22litres of fuel, I thought I would do the whole race with one tank, I actually can if I go slow, but while racing its sucked gas, it was fast open areas and mostly trails, I used 35litres for the whole race... I almost ran out of fuel on the last lap..

The 10miles on WOT, I don't believe, that bike is way to rich, I don't run WOT but I had to in one Cross Country race for about 8miles and I did almost 40 miles on that tank on the first loop...

Edited by 2strokespirit

I do a 108 mile run on a regular basis on my 5.9g IMS tank. But it's all Rail road beds, so it's fast riding. I usually don't have to hit reserve unless I'm riding like an asshole the whole time. But thats only if we stop at the strip club on the way through town. :biggrin:

Bring a 2g can on the grab bar or nerf an get a huge tank. You should make it. If not.... bring a tow rope :cool:

with my stock carbs and a 5.6 ims desert tank I could get about 100 miles out of mine play riding. racing I never pushed the gas tank that far and would always refuel about the 60 mile mark, It still had quite of bit of gas in the tank. I just never felt like taking the chance of walking a desert race. my new carbs however 30mm keihin copies really suck it down. They seem to go through twice as much fuel for some reason. It may be possible with a desert tank and a spare someplace to do it. There is company that sells rear grab bars for the banshee that will hold small gas cans. but it seems like when ever you have to depend on a spare tank it will find a way to fall off and get a hole punched in it. But that would be a fun to do

Edited by desertdeweller