Feels Like my Chain is Slipping... But its not?

TPhillips

My brothers Banshee has a weird problem. When you accelerate it feels like the chain is jumping teeth. The chain is brand new as well as the front sprocket, the rear sprocket is only about a year old. The chain isn't loose, the carrier is tight and the axle barrings are fine. I was thinking it could be the chain slider, its pretty beat up, but it will do it when the bike is on a perfectly smooth surface and the chain really isn't even touching the slider. We're leaving Thursday for Little Sahara so I kindof need help quick.

The axle nut is fine, the chain is on the top side, and we tried tightening the chain. The chain was adjusted perfect before, but we tried tightening it just to make sure and its still doing it. I can't figure it out. My bike will do it every now and then when I am in the really soft sand climbing hills or something, but not very often. His does it constantly, even on the street.

If the rear sprocket is a year old, try turning it around. (or just replace it) I had the same prob until I started adjusting my chain with the rear shock removed. Take out the rear shock and adjust the chain with the swinger at the point where the chain is tightest. Just a little slack.

my friend had the same prob. he replaced the tranny, primary drive, chains and gears. as well as had the swingarm rebuilt twice and the carrier also. come to find out the splines on his sprocket hub were stripped. :lol:

Edited by therail

When the chain skips...99% of the time it's jumping teeth on the FRONT sprocket. Check to make shure the teeth are not cracked, broken or missing. When I get my Banshee in some thick mud or deep loose sand my shit will pop from all the torque my motor's putting out. But on an MX track I get no complaints..go figure. I'm due for a new chain & sprocket set anyways.

my TT600 was doing that, it felt like it was the chain skipping under a load. It turned out to be a bad shift fork shift cam that was allowing it to slip between gears. it only did this in first and second though. Does yours do it in all gears???

my friend had the same prob. he replaced the tranny, primary drive, chains and gears.  as well as had the swingarm rebuilt twice and the carrier also.  come to find out the splines on his sprocket hub were stripped. :lol:

Yeah i would def. check the splines on the sprocket hub ive seen this happen before....

Edited by mall0y

I used to have that problem until I got a amp-link and I have never had a chain slip since I installed it. After you adjust your chain try to set on the bike and see what the chain is doing, it will get loose when you put some weight on the rear end. If it doesnt change much have somebody set on it with you because when you on the gas the rear end of the bike will squat down even more. If that doesn't help I would check the axle carrier bearings.