Where I'm at on the bike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tiniest air leak can cause major jetting issues, if there is a air leak for real, after sealing it, you will have to go over the jetting again, you will not be able to jet it correct with the air leak, in fact the jetting will have no big influence between jet sizes if there is a air leak. One thing that caught my suspicion is reeds.. But it can be anything weird right now.

Good luck!!

I think you may be onto something there.... honestly, a few people are mentioning this, and it is all starting to make sense. It's like putting a puzzle together.

I am heading over to work on her now....

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we might be kicking this problem to the curb either today or tomorrow.

Sounds like a problem i had last year. After about 3 months of jetting and troubleshooting i swapped out the ignition coil, stator, pick up coil, feul lines, feul valve, and fixed a couple of nicked wires. Then i cleaned and synced my carbs and the problem vanished. Point being that it could be a few things in combination. My ign coil and stator tested fine with an ohm meter but then i megged then later they were both leaking.

david

Fixed the leak, cleared it up a bunch. But still not responding to the throttle down low (1/8-1/4). Heck if you puch it it might die out. I knew the leak wasn't going to clear it up all the way.

Who knows... we will see what me and Butch can do tomorrow.

An air leak on the boot would do that, lean that bitch waay out for a couple secs. try it after you get that fixed. then I HIGHLY recommend nothin less than 112 oct. with youre comp to keep from detonating. Let us know.

When I fixed the leak today (I brought the bike to my place today) as the other guy had a head off a 250 quadracer he was porting. So I took it home to do it. But I got it done, and put it back together. The air leak was fixed, all bolts tighhtened.

I started it up and it was runnning really rich now. I am thinking due to the air not getting in anymore, it richened it up. Smoky and rich. That would make sense now that air was not getting in. I bet it will be a ton easier to jet now.

But still something wrong.

C&B, with that compression, according to Kevin and others, puts me right around 104-106 Octane.

Any other input from anybody before me and Butch get surgical on this thing tomorrow?

Pray

I feel confident that I just fixed the problem, but now it needs to be tuned.

After I fixed the leak, I started it and it was rich as hell. Which is making sense due to it sucking air before the fix.

I'll officially give up if tomorrow yields no improvement...

Yes, as of right now, this should be a fast fix hopefully.

The thing is I just didn't feel like tuning it after working on it ALL day again.

But it still might not be the problem. I don't know as it is really rich off the bottom right now, as well as idle. I just shut it off and said screw it, I will tune it tomorrow with Butch. I couldn't look at it anymore after the time I put on the wrench today.

Plus Butch knows how there motors should run. It will be assurance for me that if he says it's good, it's good. Because I don't know how they should run. Supposedly alot of power to make anyone pleased but not me yet. That's why there has to be something wrong.

But like I said, I didn't mess with tuning it after I found and fixed the air leak in the intake. So I am keeping my fingers crossed we can swap a few jets in, play with some needle clips and air screws, and call it a day.

But the little I did run it (1st 2 gears by the house)... it is still running like a dog compafred to my stock non ported jugs and the 2 into 1 carb setup I had before. So I am guessing I only fixed part of the problem.

Should be interesting... but if Butch can't figure this out, the bike is a gonner for sure as there is nobody in my parts, or state of Pennsylvania, that can fix this. Nobody even wants to mess with it. I had 2 mechanics that work on bikes all the time shrug their shoulders and point me to another place. That other place didn't fix it either.

So let's hope... it's a bad part somewhere. 2 strokes, as most of us know, are pretty simple. They can be very complex if you can't swap parts like in my situation with another guy.