Stator rewind

Shawn G

Does anybody rewind their stock stators? I want to run (2) 55w bulbs, and I hate replacing stock parts that have worked perfectly for 10 years with aftermarket stuff that may or may not work ALL THE TIME. I've also heard a lot of negative things about Ricky Stator stators and was just wondering if I'd be better off having my stocker rewound.

What do you think?

Ricky Stator = junk

5 years ago I loved them. Now that they get everything from China, its cheap junk that breaks and messes up your riding trip.

I agree. Used to have good product, now its cheap crap that falls apart and shorts out all the time. I'd try and re-wind a stocker before I would buy a ricky stator unit again.

- Jared

I agree. Used to have good product, now its cheap crap that falls apart and shorts out all the time. I'd try and re-wind a stocker before I would buy a ricky stator unit again.

- Jared

Would a rewind even get me the necessary juice I need to run the (2) 55 watt bulb setup I'm looking to run? If not, what are my options?

I've gone through 4 ricky stator 200w stators! They suck ass! Ruined more than one trip up to the mountains for me....

I found a few places that will makle you a custom wound stator. But they are expensive. That why I just made my own. It's not very hard. you just need the right info to do it right.

I took my old "electrix" stator that had burned up on me and stripped it down to a bare body (18 poles) and had it powder coated and dipped it in a thinned out jbwld to cover any bare spots. Then used your standard magnet wire to wind a new one out of that. I just did one phase at a time and went counter clockwise then clockwise around each pole. You have to alternate them one way then the other. There is also 2 different ways to wind it.... the regular way is called "WYE" and the way I wound mine is called "delta" which is the more powerful of the 2 ways because your not dividing the current by all three phases resistance. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

01-27-07_0459.jpg

03-10-07_0312.jpg

start reading....learn something

MY FAVORITE LINK

rewind stator

KLX more power rewind

WYE vs. DELTA

If you're not up for winding one of your own, check the one on rockymountainatv.com. Its pretty similar to his (above), but also offers another wire that you can "float the ground" on if you want to convert to DC. Nice units. I had good luck with one until I burned it up, but it was my own fault. lol

- Jared

If you're not up for winding one of your own, check the one on rockymountainatv.com. Its pretty similar to his (above), but also offers another wire that you can "float the ground" on if you want to convert to DC. Nice units. I had good luck with one until I burned it up, but it was my own fault. lol

- Jared

You have to be pretty hard up to actually want to rewind your own stator.................. :ermm:

I've gone through 4 ricky stator 200w stators! They suck ass! Ruined more than one trip up to the mountains for me....

I found a few places that will makle you a custom wound stator. But they are expensive. That why I just made my own. It's not very hard. you just need the right info to do it right.

I took my old "electrix" stator that had burned up on me and stripped it down to a bare body (18 poles) and had it powder coated and dipped it in a thinned out jbwld to cover any bare spots. Then used your standard magnet wire to wind a new one out of that. I just did one phase at a time and went counter clockwise then clockwise around each pole. You have to alternate them one way then the other. There is also 2 different ways to wind it.... the regular way is called "WYE" and the way I wound mine is called "delta" which is the more powerful of the 2 ways because your not dividing the current by all three phases resistance. It sounds more complicated than it really is.

01-27-07_0459.jpg

03-10-07_0312.jpg

start reading....learn something

MY FAVORITE LINK

rewind stator

KLX more power rewind

WYE vs. DELTA

Thanks Turbo for the great info.

stock banshee stator is single phase.

Nope... banshee stators are like any other non-battery CDI bike. It's a 3-phase stator like mine except one of the phases is wound with 26 gauge wire with as much as possible to get the super high voltage the CDI needs to push into the ign. coil.

The other 2 phases are run open right into the regulator ( one wire ~ blue ~ on subframe) then on to your lights through your handlebar switch. :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...

So i am probably going to rewound my stator pretty soon but i have a few questions.

I currently have the MSD ignition setup on my banshee and i plan on keeping that cuz its pretty awesome. If im correct the MSD runs on its own battery but pulls a little off the stator to charge then couldnt when i rewind the stator use less winds on the stator on the wire that gives the CDI power. Then put a few more winds on the one for the lights.

Remember I fried mine at Glamis early this year hollisatp?

A friend hooked me up with an Alba rewind & works perfect! They can build it to run whatever juice you want!! I think the fee is $150 with core exchange. I have the tech's name and phone # so you don't have to deal with Alba's bs customer service!