Have a look at these pics

fitz18

damn man thats terrible. I cant imagine there is a good way to salvage that shaft. i guess the only way to find out would be to cut off the very very end and see if you can get that bolt off and manage to thread a new one on. but my guess is that you wont be able to reuse that and you will be replacing the entiire shaft back into the tranny. best of luck!

is that an axle nut he used???

a friend just bought a banshee with this exact "mod" lol. he went and bought a whole new shaft from yamaha for only $120. (aus)

the same banshee also had the splines on the axle and sprocket hub stripped, and it had a dirty big grub screw through them both to "fix" it

he knew all this when buying it though, it was a cheap banshee!

I know it sucks! Think il take the torch to it and then try to back the nut off. May as well give it a go before I buy a new one! Thanks for the feed back guys. I guess you just never know what you'll find with a used bike! :down:

I would use a grinder first and try to wear it down as thin as you can. That is a lot of weld to get hot enough to break it off, grind it down, torch it, then just hammer away with an impact wrench

Its screwed. I wouldnt even waste any time messing with it. thats not even the right nut for that shaft. Most likley some nar nar put the wrong nut on there, stripped it out and then welded it on. Pretty retarted. Get a used tranny and fix it right. :thumbsup:

Check cascade innovations I think it is... you can get that shaft for under $100. If you are careful you can re-use the c-clips and stuff yourself. Don't send it to a builder, you can do it yourself with a $30 flymer manual if you have any kinda know-how with mechanical stuff.

- Jared