got a 85 250r

'99350t

now iam all set and in business, just picked up a nice '85 250r and got my 01 banshee, ready to tear up the trails. anyone else here run any R's? whats the low down on them? its a ball to ride but definatly not a banshee. looking for stupid mis. parts for it if anyones got some?? expeccially aftermarket. i'll try to get pictures sometime

that is my favorite bike for sure. i know im gonna get helll for saying this, but i like the 250r way more than my shee.. here is what i recomend, pipe it jett it get a good airfilter, and maybe bore it a bit, i dont have alot of money in mine, but it is still fast as hell, and they are so fun to jump.

You are talking about an '85 ATC250R, correct?

If it has the stock round-slide carb, get rid of it and buy a PWK. I would not get a PJ like the '86 had. It is OK, but the PWK is much nicer. Most parts are interchangeable with the '86, and aside from the obvious, many Fourtrax parts can be used as well (engine, controls, etc.), especially the '86' & '87. Let us see some pictures!

Ahhh, ATC250R..... :wub:

i was looking at 85 atc250r to buy alittle while back. i took it for a test ride and holy shit those things are way to fast for 3 wheels. ill stick to my 350x when it comes to trikes. those things are the reason they dont make trikes anymore. :blink:

haha, thanks guys glad to know people still know what they are. it is pretty quick. couple years back i sold my '86 tecate-3 that i built in my parents basement, that was definatly too fast for 3 wheels. rolled up and smoked lightly modded banshee's all day long. the R is fun, i just ordered an FMF pipe and silencer, 40mm lectron and soon some v-force reeds.

Cool!

I have a couple '85's and a '86 ATC.

One of the 85's is totally apart. It was a race trike, and it has the smaller racing tank and tight-radius tripple. That is going to be a tough one to restore. I think the frame is bent.

The other '85 is fully restored, and I haven't ridden it since 1998.

My '86 is the one I ride (when it runs). The counter balance bearing seat in the right case half is wrecked, I think from a spun bearing. I have a new case half, but I am just too lazy to put it back together. I have a 24x32 shed that I am cleaning out. It is going to be my ATV hideout, so hopefully this winter I can get the '86 going again.

The done '85:

250r1-600x450.jpg

The '86:

dsc01196.jpg

I had a 86 with white plastic, FMF pipe, 38PWK, lightly shaved head and a uni filter in the airbox (I was McLuvin that thing in the water holes and mud puddles)....that thing always ran great! Never did a thing to it other than swap some tires and clean the carb and filter every once in a blue moon. I put so many miles on that thing and not once did it not get me back to the trailer, even after many crashes. It would take piped banshees on flat ground and up the hills in the dunes. I got to weigh that bish one day on our big shipping scale at work and with a tiny bit of gas and all other fluids it tipped the scales @ 278lbs.....no wonder that sumbitch would run! :blink: I sold that beast for a measley $900 4 years ago....I haven't seen a clean one under $1500 for a long time :mad:

Edited by theeechozen1