best tire for mx

macgillivary

hey getting into some mx racing for next season so im building my shee over the winter

on my last shee i ran turf tamers on hardpack to loose and they worked well

but next year the tracks are raging from sandy, to loose dirt, with the odd muddy track after rain

Anyways what would be the best tire for sandy loose dirt tracks

i was thiking knarlys but i wanted to get some tips from you guys

thanks, i know im going to get alot of answers but ill know my options better

I love my razr2s. the amount of shit they throw up when i ride on sand and loose pack is amazing, they have to be doing something in the way of traction. i can usually wheelie pretty easy in sand too something thats hard with most dirt tires for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Holeshot XCRs. Hook pretty good, wear well...and are 6 ply tires.

i second that . 6 ply is a little heavier but make a diff in the tire performance

• 1 month later...

ok you dont use 6ply tires on a mx guys you just dont do it. razr 2's are cross country tires big 21 to 22in tires you never see thoes on the mx track they are bad ass tires but not mx tires! if you want good a mx tire for sand and loose dirt go with eather the holshot mxr 6's or the kenda klaws i have ran them both and the hook up amazing i like the klaws because you can flip them around for hard packed tracks too and the last long too and they are tough. the mxr 6's hook up amazing too and you can go a season with out have to buy new ones if you only race and nothing else i do the same thing you do and my mxr 6's dont last very long like that. i have heard good things about the razr mx's but never ran them i think im going to get thoes next. but what ever you do dont get anything else then 18'' tires for racing mx maybe 20'' tires if you going to do other things but i havent ran anything but 18's for 3 years and i go ever where my friends with 20'' tires do so thats not an issue. never bent a rotor eather knock on wood :beer:

Derick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
wouldnt just holeshot mx's work fine

yep, just buy a pair of 18-10x9 holeshot mxr4's and you wont regret it I promise. the knobs are pretty tall and well spaced and most of all they are really really soft which helps hook up good on hard pack to loose loam and sand.

yea they dont use 6 ply tires for mx.. all the guys i see in dirtwheels got those kenda sx or whatever they are called, the holeshot mxr4 or those new razr cross ones , those seem to be the most popular from what i see in the books with guys and their mx 450's

and razr 2's only come in 20 and 22 rears , no 21's

• 3 weeks later...
if you want good a mx tire for sand and loose dirt go with eather the holshot mxr 6's or the kenda klaws i have ran them both and the hook up amazing i like the klaws because you can flip them around for hard packed tracks too and the last long too and they are tough. the mxr 6's hook up amazing too and you can go a season with out have to buy new ones if you only race and nothing else i do the same thing you do and my mxr 6's dont last very long like that.

^agree

But, if you have the money I would say go for the mxr6. Wont last as long and is more $ but the overall performance is better than a klaw. The holeshots are way more predictable than the klaws imo. They slide when you want and hook when you want. I will be riding holeshots from now on. May try the mxr4's though, just to see if the lifespan is better.

i have had both razr II and knarly on my banshee and i like the knarly's better. seem to handle really nice and they dont wear to fast.