My next Upgrade - I'm thinking Carbs

jkross

Gents,

I got beat by a 450 this past weekend in Florence. Granted...I f___ed up the race - rider error. But even if I'd rode parfect, I think it'd have been a tie.

Needless to say...I don't want that to happen again. But If I have to spend over $600 bucks...I guess it's gonna. So, maybe I'm just a cheap ass who's screwed. I should be heppy with what I have, but I have to ask.

I've done searching on upgrades...specifically carb upgrades and I have an idea of what I should do, but I want to get specific for my setup.

I have:

- 0.60 shaved head (not a cool head)

- "mild" port

- welded crank

- K & N pods - (no airbox)

- +4 Lonestar

- Cascade Billet Everything.

...that's about it. So, really pretty - just not a lot of motor work.

My riding...Dunes only...Oregon - sea level.

Carbs and Intake are bone stock. Ugly.

The bottom line: Are carbs the next logical upgrade? Will a couple 35mm's make a difference?

From what I've read...I don't have any warm and fuzzy feelings about a 2 into 1 setup. But, again..what the hell do I know. I just want to beat a 450 without a milled stroker.

As I say in all my posts...you guys rock. Shear genius. I'd appreciate your help on this one.

Thanks in advance.

I didnt think you could mill your stock head that much...

Are you running race gas?

+4 timming?

What tires are you running?

Clutch shot?

Gearing?

What exhaust?

We need more info. At least I do.

you didnt say what exhaust your using. if its stock then that would be the first thing i would do.i like my fmf sst's, but they were on it when i bought the bike so i cant really compare it to before, but it is about the same as my friends banshee with fattys.

after that i am in the same boat as you :beer:

I didnt think you could mill your stock head that much...

Are you running race gas?

+4 timming?

What tires are you running?

Clutch shot?

Gearing?

What exhaust?

We need more info. At least I do.

Sorry for lack of info...

Here we go:

- not sure if it's advanced timing or not...how could I tell? Bought it with all mods aldready done.

- FMF Fatty's

- 8 paddle Haulers

- Pump gas with Redline

- Brand New Heavy duty clutch (no slippage)

- gearing...no freaking clue. I"d have to go count by hand...could if it's that important and will help.

That's about it.

As for the head...it's not stock...it's polished by I'm not sure what brand. I have a receipt that say's 0.60...so that's what I'm going by.

Sombody else mentioned the + 4 timing plate. Great Idea...How can I check that? I think it might already have it...but not sure.

Thanks for all the help guys...keep it coming.

more porting would be the most hp. Do you have a degree wheel? Do you know how to take off the head and general stuff like that? You need to see what your port numbers are. Once you figure that out then you can see what you got and go from there on the whole set up. Sounds like you have a good looking bike now you just need it to match the looks with performance.

Good stuff guys...this is what I was looking for. You've all given me great ideas and I'll start looking into all that.

Thanks for the link to the Trinity Carb setup...looks cool...and potentially an option down the road.

I'm gonna start by looking into the porting, the timing plate and v-force reeds and see how that works.

I'm assuming that once I do all that, there'll be a lot of tuning to do. And, honestly, tearing it apart is not a problem...but the tuning intimidates me a little...don't want to f things up and run it too lean/rich or otherwise. And, living in suburbia I can't come even close to opening it up to check the plug coloration...etc.

So...I'll start tearing into it and report what I find.

Thanks for all the advice and I'm 100% certain I'll have more questions in the future. But now I have an idea where to start.

your pipes are holding you back, I would get the bike ported, pick up some vf3's, advance the timing, and get some cpis or some toomey t-5's. these pipes respond real well to porting and pull better trough the mid range and top end! Also if you are gonna be drag racing, a 2 into 1 carb is not the way to go! it will limit your top end real bad. I would get some 33-35mm pwks if your set on carbs. But they are not needed till ya free up the porting and the exhaust.

As far as tunning there are alot of people on this site that can help ya out with all that!

Heres what I have, and what id do if I were you. Its dependable and quick. I havent been beaten by any 450s that ive raced yet. To give some perspective a honda 450 w/a HRC kit was an easy win, epsecially on the top end...

K&N

28mm keihin carbs (or go on ebay and get the knockoffs)

Aggresive dune port (RB Racing) name is MACHWON on here....

Trinity head, 20 cc domes, running on 50/50 pump/race fuel

+4 timing plate

T5s

Id say get some porting first man, those pipes will be fine for now.

I ran FMFs on mine after it got ported, and it ripped. I beat the 450 with 0 timing, and the FMFs

Hope that gives u an idea, good luck! :beer:

your pipes are holding you back, I would get the bike ported, pick up some vf3's, advance the timing, and get some cpis or some toomey t-5's. these pipes respond real well to porting and pull better trough the mid range and top end! Also if you are gonna be drag racing, a 2 into 1 carb is not the way to go! it will limit your top end real bad. I would get some 33-35mm pwks if your set on carbs. But they are not needed till ya free up the porting and the exhaust.

As far as tunning there are alot of people on this site that can help ya out with all that!

pretty much exactly what he said... i was about to post the same thing... although i would be careful on the timing... 3-5 degrees... more timing = more torque but less topend... and, more timing leans the motor a bit as well... use it as a tool to dial the bike...

yyz