hauler size?

burleybanshee

Just got my 4mil together, running great! On the dyno at the rear wheels it measured 58.4 horse power. Little low but I'm running only 30mm knock off carbs and t5 with the 4 mil and dune porting. Wanted all a round power, not just top end light switch type.

I have +4 swinger and +2 +1 front a arms. I have new sand stars for the front at twice used haulers for the rear. My engine builder told me my haulers were to much paddle. They are 20x10x10 9 paddle extremes.

Is this to much paddle? I know that the 21 and 22's are better for drag/hill shooting and also an 8" rim. I like dragging but do it about 20% of time, the rest is sliding and playing around bowls, general duning. I liked the 10" rim cause kept the top of tire flat and it liked to slide with out rolling up on the side walls. With that said should I have gotten 8 paddles or a 21" tire with 10 rim and 9 paddles?

What would be the best tire for my application

Your tire size sounds right for your application but you would have been better off running fewer paddles. You're right on the edge of where you should be running 8 paddle extremes/9 paddle haulers. Generally the rule is to run 1 less paddle on the extreme vs. the hauler. But there are instances where one is a better choice over the other, such as yours. You don't NEED to switch tires, but you will lose a little bit of potential speed once you hit 4th and above. Next time around, go for some 8 paddle extremes. You'd be better off running the stiffer extremes with fewer paddles at that tire diameter.

Most banshee owners love to over-paddle their bikes b/c no way could a 4 stroke with less HP need more paddles than them. They forget to realize that 4 strokes have all that torque down low while the shee does better with the wheels spinning. Extra paddles will get you out of the hole quicker but once you hit the higher gears all that extra drag is gonna kill ya. What I'm saying is that there's a really good chance that you could trade your 9's for some 8's.

Depending on what buff you got I think the 9 paddles will work good. Also you have to look at what kind of sand you're riding in. We put some 10 paddle tripple buff 22" haulers on my buddies "bolt-on" banshee and it kicked some major ass compared to the heavier 8 paddle haulers he was running.

i think 9 paddles will be ok.. for your setup.. i run 10 paddle extremes. on 20 in wheels and my 4mill worked great with them except when i was playing around at the drags... then i boil them off on take off.. but im setup for first gear starts too..

imo you need to figure if that dyno is beyond low reading or your jetting is really messed cause 58 hp on a 4mm is very weak. dont care who ported it. unless they didnt really open it up much.

who built it.

tires all i know is at little sahara i was boiling 21 9 paddles off and i starting playing with the jetting it got worse.

put some 11 paddles superlites on and it really hooked up.

im one of those a bit more paddle is worth it getting off the line then your that much ahead. if you sit there boiling the tires off your behind them and busting ass to make that up.

just me.

Thanks everyone for input. Just got back from Pismo. It ran nice. Power in the entire band. Didn't feel like it hit the pipe though. It just pulled off the line till 9000 then fell as it approached 10,000rpms. just a guess on rpms. The t5 are nice, and match the 30mm pwk's. I think if i put some cpi's with 35pwk's it would wake it up some more.

I have a +4 swinger with +2+1 front arms. Hope that helps with the bikes geometry questions. I think the bike has 190 degree exhaust timing, 33 degree blow down, not sure what the other number is, like 134, something like that. I was there when Larry ported the jugs. He spend 8 hours on the porting table and took his time getting it right. Did a nice job. The pipes and carbs are holding back the engine. I am running 15/41 gearing.

I also weigh 225 pounds, slowing me down a little bit.

Out at pismo, didn't have problems with 4-pokes. Didn't drag real hard, still babying the new engine. Nice having new clutch again as well. When dragging, would hit 6th, it would start to stumble. It was rich at 1000 feet, I know it was even richer at sea level. Going to go down to 162 jet and run it. I will go back and put it back on the dyno and run her on the sniffer and maybe drop one more to a 160 then see what the numbers say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My shee has around the same power that you have and i am running 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers with good results. The extreme might be a bit too much bit for your setup. I would think your hp numbers would be a little higher, are you sure that you are jetted corectly?

NO! my plugs were dripping when i pulled them out a couple of days ago. They told me they wanted it real rich for the breakin and we would play with the jetting after a couple of rides were in on the bike. So the horse power i'm sure will come up quite a bit.

I just ordered some skat track 21x12x8 haulers 8 paddles. I hope this gets me back in the ball park. I ride mostly pismo, 225 pounds, +4 swinger with the 4mil/5mil rod hot rods crank, dune port, 165 psi noss head, +2+1 a arms, elkas, 15/41 gearing, new tusk clutch plates & springs.

I know I put more weight on the bike with the swinger, a arms, anti vibe steering stem, elkas, noss head, billet 2 piece intake. I know i gained more power and speed than the weight I put on and it is more fun to ride, but not set up for dragging, thats for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the tires, but haven't used them yet. Going to Pismo in June, will know then.

Larry Price did my motor. The exhaust port is at 190 with 33 blow down. I was there the whole time he ported those jugs. He put a lot of time in. He went small on the exhaust numbers and said for me to ride it and if I wanted more, he would cut it up to 192 or 3. I wanted a good play bike that my wife good still jump on and enjoy. It pulls hard through the whole rpm range. Not a light switch at all. I wanted a fun bike to ride that didn't wear me out. Well, I think I'm going to pull the jugs back off and have he work them over a little more, not enough power for what I was looking for though I am very happy with what Larry did, and he worked hard on the motor for me. Larry has done a lot of motor and I have rode other banshee's he ported that had drag ports, and o shit, hang on pull. I know he knows he stuff. I wanted a mild motor and build up, once you cut it for all out power, there's no going back.

I also question the dyno number. TT 700 raptors with pipes, filter and progamable ignition-fuel mapping, pistons, were only getting 43 horse power on the dyno. So not sure about the numbers. Full race LTR's were posting mid 40's on the dyno as well. Don't knnow.