Help Me Decide on a New Truck

I'm a GM guy, but I don't like the new body style either. I'd say go with a 05-06 GMC, their front ends better looking than the Chevy's. And I don't think you can beat the Duramax/Allison combo. Oh, and get the crew cab, short bed.

It's really needs to be a new truck unless I can find an '06 sitting on a dealer lot somewhere. :thumbsup:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Id roll with a new duramax, throw a little lift and some 35's, they look tits. Plus the new duramax has the most torque/HP than the others I believe. Here is a pic of a buddies 3500 duramax with 20s and 35's::

What a beautiful Chev!!

Just curious as to what numbers your Chev is putting out :shrug:

I would personally go with the 2500/3500 Cummins. The new Ford's with the Stock Twin Turbo set up is to just get those things running in the Emission "lines", while still making the 350 HP/650 ft lbs of the Cummins. I doubt you will have many problems with the new Cummins as well. Ford is possibly suing Navistar due to this, and now Navistar has stopped shipping their engines to Ford. And if you are planning to do some towing, the new Aisin transmissions along with the Cummins, and the exhaust brake are very nice features, and work very well with each other. Same with the new + and - feature of the Aisin Tranny just like the Chev's, that's nice to have as well.

Edited by Dinner

the duramax's are puting out 360hp 650ft lbs torque.

The allisons have a trans brake feature called grade braking. Similar to a exhaust brake except completly different :biggrin: Also, the allisons are 6 speeds with the largest towing capacity for 3/4 and 1 tons.

At my dealer we have 2 07 "classics". Those have the 100k powertrain and have the LBZ motor WITHOUT all of the nasty 07 emmisiions. Personally thats the way to go. But you would have to be ready to do it now because we are now getting 07 new body styles. Also, the allisons are 6 speeds with the largest towing capacity.

I saw a commercial on the 07 or 08 fords. Apparently the F450 can handle 24,500 lbs towing. THAT IS INCREDIBLE.

the duramax's are puting out 360hp 650ft lbs torque.

The allisons have a trans brake feature called grade braking. Similar to a exhaust brake except completly different :biggrin: Also, the allisons are 6 speeds with the largest towing capacity for 3/4 and 1 tons.

At my dealer we have 2 07 "classics". Those have the 100k powertrain and have the LBZ motor WITHOUT all of the nasty 07 emmisiions. Personally thats the way to go. But you would have to be ready to do it now because we are now getting 07 new body styles. Also, the allisons are 6 speeds with the largest towing capacity.

I saw a commercial on the 07 or 08 fords. Apparently the F450 can handle 24,500 lbs towing. THAT IS INCREDIBLE.

The new Aisin's are 6 speed's as well...And isn't the new GMC's towing capacities 12,000Lbs?

Edited by Dinner

Just curious as to what numbers your Chev is putting out :shrug:

I would personally go with the 2500/3500 Cummins. The new Ford's with the Stock Twin Turbo set up is to just get those things running in the Emission "lines", while still making the 350 HP/650 ft lbs of the Cummins. I doubt you will have many problems with the new Cummins as well. Ford is possibly suing Navistar due to this, and now Navistar has stopped shipping their engines to Ford. And if you are planning to do some towing, the new Aisin transmissions along with the Cummins, and the exhaust brake are very nice features, and work very well with each other. Same with the new + and - feature of the Aisin Tranny just like the Chev's, that's nice to have as well.

yea i wish i had got my truck a year or so later... the 06 tranny not so great...

they put and engine brake on them now?

oh nm i opened my eyes and read its exhaust break for downhills....

Edited by Bansh-eman

yea i wish i had got my truck a year or so later... the 06 tranny not so great...

they put and engine brake on them now?

oh nm i opened my eyes and read its exhaust break for downhills....

lol Yea it's an exhaust brake.

Yes, 12,000 lbs at the hitch and 16,700 with a fifth.

Oh ok, so basically the same as the Cummins.

Do you know how the Allison grade brake works? I can't seem to fin any technical information it. All I have found is general advertising related stuff. :geek:

Do you know how the Allison grade brake works? I can't seem to fin any technical information it. All I have found is general advertising related stuff. :geek:

The grade-braking feature's primary purpose is to utilize engine braking to slow a heavy vehicle on steep grades in order to reduce wear on the traditional braking system. The method used to slow the vehicle is by overriding the PRNDL position, effectively pre-selecting the next lower gear range automatically. Because the transmission is electronically controlled and there is no mechanical linkage that needs to be moved for a pre-select downshift, implementation of this feature can be done completely in software with no hardware modifications.

This control feature takes into consideration several factors before commanding a pre-select downshift. These are the primary inputs to the Transmission Control Module (TCM):

# Throttle position

# (Service) Brake state

# Vehicle acceleration/deceleration

# Grade/Load

# Vehicle speed

These factors are continually calculated to determine when a preselect downshift is commanded.

Figured this might help you out :thumbsup:

Just sitting here thinking.. Couldn't you just do this with the new Aisin transmission(3500 models) but instead of the transmission doing it for you, you could simply click the (-) button to shift the transmission to the next lowest gear. Allowing the Exhaust Brake to kick in and slowing you down easily. Just a thought...

Edited by Dinner

The grade-braking feature's primary purpose is to utilize engine braking to slow a heavy vehicle on steep grades in order to reduce wear on the traditional braking system. The method used to slow the vehicle is by overriding the PRNDL position, effectively pre-selecting the next lower gear range automatically. Because the transmission is electronically controlled and there is no mechanical linkage that needs to be moved for a pre-select downshift, implementation of this feature can be done completely in software with no hardware modifications.

This control feature takes into consideration several factors before commanding a pre-select downshift. These are the primary inputs to the Transmission Control Module (TCM):

# Throttle position

# (Service) Brake state

# Vehicle acceleration/deceleration

# Grade/Load

# Vehicle speed

These factors are continually calculated to determine when a preselect downshift is commanded.

Figured this might help you out :thumbsup:

Just sitting here thinking.. Couldn't you just do this with the new Aisin transmission(3500 models) but instead of the transmission doing it for you, you could simply click the (-) button to shift the transmission to the next lowest gear. Allowing the Exhaust Brake to kick in and slowing you down easily. Just a thought...

That is about all of the information that I was able to find on the feature. I am curious as to how they are controlling the torque converter and shifting as it seem that what they describe would make a huge about of heat in the transmission. Additionally, are they throttling the intake air at the same time as what they say the transmission is doing? If they aren't, I can't see how a diesel engine of that size would provide enough resistive force to slow a vehicle down very much. I mean it certainly won't hurt anything, but I have a hard time comparing it's performance with an exhasut brake. :geek:

Did I mention that I am probably a car salesman's worst nightmare.

(I have perfect credit and more than enough financial means to buy a vehicle, but all I ask are technical questions and I am cheap as hell.) :blink:

taken straight from GM about the tow/haul mode which also includes grade braking. i use this everytime i tow and it's a great feature.

Tow/Haul Mode

Tow/Haul mode significantly changes the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling and to deliver better performance, control, and cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads. For instance:

taken straight from GM about the tow/haul mode which also includes grade braking. i use this everytime i tow and it's a great feature.

Tow/Haul Mode

Tow/Haul mode significantly changes the transmission shift pattern to reduce shift cycling and to deliver better performance, control, and cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads. For instance:

I went to dodges website and the numbers for the dodge are lower, 305 hp and 325hp with 610 ft lbs of torque. not like it's a real noticeable difference. I see the 5.9 is still offered as well, the new 6.7 is the one with the exhaust brake.

Yeah, I think the 6.7 Cummins is probably the engine that I would be looking at getting in a Dodge truck. I have pretty much decided on a super cab w/ doors or a drew cab and a short bed.

I need to get out to a couple dealerships and drive some trucks. I am not sure that I want to deal with the GM front suspension. :confused: