twist vs. thumb

jmkapala

I have a twist throttle on my Banshee , it will definatly take a little getting used to damn near broke my neck when I first got it. However , after I got used to it I actually like it better I can do anything with the twist throttle that I could do with the thumb throttle and not worry about killing myself. One word of advice and I'm speaking from experience until you get used to it don't do much jumping , made a jump and when I landed I accidently craked the throttle wide open one hell of a ride is all I can say.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to put a twist on my Banshee when I first got it cause I rode with one on my LT250R for so many years I dident think I would like the thumb. I still might because my thumb gets sore and I am used to the twist after using it for so many years I would catch on again within a few rides. You have to learn how to controll them though cause like stated they can really get out of controll comming out of turns and landing jumps. Its all about prefrence.

I had an old LT250R with a twist...and it never bothered me.

It was done up, ported, exhaust, Pod filter, bigger carb, etc.

The power delivery of a 250 and a banshee are nothing alike.

What makes a twist a bad idea is the lightswitch nature of a banshee powerband.

Seeing as how this is your first fourwheeler, and it's a banshee at that, I think a thumb throttle will serve you better.

Of course, that means a new cable too.

I rode CR dirt bikes for a long time, put a twist on my shee two years ago when I had similar mods as you, and It lasted about 2 rides (and a bent grab bar courtesy of my buddy) and it was off and a thumb put back on.

Swapping it out is not a big deal, just a pain to take the plastics and tank off....that's harder than actually swapping the cable in my opinion....

What makes a twist a bad idea is the lightswitch nature of a banshee powerband.

Good point, I think that's why most of the woods racers don't mind it as much. I know on that cub you had, the powerband must have hit like a ton of bricks! On my stocker with FMFs, +4 timing, the powerband was porbably a little smoother to say the least. The twist throttle never really bothered me.

Also, I heard a few times that the reason for the thumb throttle on ATVs, and snobiles, vs. the twist on bikes is because when you ride a bike, you grip the bike with your legs, wheras on an ATV, you can't do that, you have to grip the ATV with your arms at the handle bars, which supposedly makes the twist on an ATV harder to use, and the thumb throttle on a bike completely pointless.

I always liked the throttle onthe Bombardier jet skis. I have an XP, and I guess you could say it's a thumb throttle, but it is positioned over the grip, so when you hit wide open, the throttle lines up perfectly with the grip, very easy to use, and hardly any fatigue. If anyone has a Bombardier, they'll know what Im talking about, I can grab a pic if need be. I've always though about ordering one and putting it on a quad, but I have no clue where youd get a throttle cable for that, or how I would mount it up. A good idea nonetheless.

Good point, I think that's why most of the woods racers don't mind it as much. I know on that cub you had, the powerband must have hit like a ton of bricks!

Yeah, If I had a twist on my cub, I'd probably have some good footage of a train wreck highlight reel..:)

I had a twist on my T5, Pod filter Stock port motor. This was before I put the lightened flywheel and timing advance on.

Pretty much what Jim has...other than a cool head with 18cc domes....and it was tricky to ride.

MY 10 mil will be a strictly drag/dune (80/20) and I'm STILL going to keep a thumb on it.

My yz has a twist throttle(1/4 twist). It's great. I would like a twist on my banshee but with all the power and lightswitch powerband, i will stick with a thumb. It gives me more "range of motion" than a twist would. With my yz, it's like BAM WOT, shift BAM WOT and so on. Oh wait....i kinda like that. :banghead:

I would go with a thumb throtle over a twist on a quad. On a dirtbike twist all the way.

That is the way I feel as well. I have had a twist on a Banshee and a couple of other quads and I didn't like the amount of throttle control I had when I was turning. I have also wound up on my ass in the dunes after a few beers, some whoops, and a twist throttle. :whistling:

Thumb for sure. I have rode/raced dirt bikes ever since I was 5 and now im 17 so I have my time on a twist but when it comes to quad twist doesnt feel right plus I had my old R and my buddy's shee looking at the sky on accident and almost flipped them hard because I leaned back a bit and accidenty hit the throttle. Just my 02 cents

-Dan

I was considering the twist. Pulling both of those slides up on an MX track gets pretty damn hard after a few laps. I find myself unable to even give it throttle at a certain point and have to use my palm which is bad. lol

Maybe it's my cables that need lubing or the tors or something I have no idea, but I have to do something about it. Maybe some lighter springs in the carb/throttle assembly. :shrug: I can ride a kfx or raptor or 450 all day on the track and not feel a damn thing as far as thumb fatigue but literally 1-2 laps on my shee and fuck me it's work to push the throttle at all! :banghead:

My banshee had a 1/4 turn twist on it when I bought it. The guy also gave me the thumb throttle with it. I went ahead and gave it a try. Ummm yeah that was stupid I went back to the thumb throttle and put one of the cascade thumb throttle on there. Its way nicer than the stock throttle. You can get rid of the little spring in there and it replaces the nylon bushing with a bearing. http://www.cascadeinnovations.net/

thanks for the comments everyone.....i appreciate everyones input

since i have already bought the twist and its already on there, im gonna use it at least 2 times. that way if i dont like it the first time, i'll be sure the second time i ride.

i like the stainless cable that came with it....so....if i have to go back to a thumb, whos a good manufacturer and can i get the stainless cable?