Chains

polkaudio

What brand chain do you use and where did you buy it? I'll be replacing mine soon and would like to get recommendations. So use an O-ring chain or not?

Also, is it true the sprockets should be replaced with the chain? Obviously if they are worn you should, but what if they are in good shape?

The engine is essentially stock with a slightly milled head, mild porting, and no name pipes & silencers.

Edited by polkaudio

I've used Primary Drive and D.I.D. Neither have failed on me so I guess they're good enough. I purchased the PD at Rocky Mountain. I'd recommend getting a chain with a 7,800lb tensile strength or better as to prevent too much stretch.

With an o-ring chain, I don't like them. They work well at first, keeping the grease in the chain, but if you ride in muddy areas, the mud that gets past the o-ring ends up getting trapped and seizes the chain.

You should replace both sprockets with the chain because the chain "wears into" the sprockets. If you use the old worn sprockets, you will wear out the chain faster.

Good luck.

Edited by 4strokessuck

My only experience has been with DID chains as well, X-Ring. I think you'll probably find DID to be the generally accepted standard. They are slightly more expensive, but most would argue that they will wear longer. So, if you break down ride time vs. cost it would likely be better. As far as sprockets, I run a Renthal steel front sprocket, and a Renthal hardened alloy rear sprocket.

did xring and renthal's here also. the 'atv' chains have higher tensile strength, that's what you want. i've had cheaper chains, and you get what you pay for. keep it lubed and adjusted properly and the did's work great and last a long time. :cool:

Edited by MILO

Ive tried an O Ring chain one time and it did not suite my riding style. It required constant matinence and it endend up seizing up. I used to run the RK Gold x chains then I went with a D.I.D. and never went back. They last longer. Just leave like 2 fingers worth of play. Always change your sprockets with a new chain and keep the old ones for spares. I usualy use sidewinder sprockets. Ive yet to replace a sprocket on my Banshee yet so I dont know what Ill go with. Sidewinder unless I find something better.

Ive tried an O Ring chain one time and it did not suite my riding style. It required constant matinence and it endend up seizing up. I used to run the RK Gold x chains then I went with a D.I.D. and never went back. They last longer. Just leave like 2 fingers worth of play. Always change your sprockets with a new chain and keep the old ones for spares. I usualy use sidewinder sprockets. Ive yet to replace a sprocket on my Banshee yet so I dont know what Ill go with. Sidewinder unless I find something better.
X-Ring are definetly the best,but you can go Primary drive or DID and you'll have a good chain.

DID does the best IMO and I have ran them all.I worked at the old Tsubaki (Union chain)

X-Ring are definetly the best,but you can go Primary drive or DID and you'll have a good chain.

DID does the best IMO and I have ran them all.I worked at the old Tsubaki (Union chain)

I use the DID ERT non-o-ring chains, and have been happy. I just use that maxima chain wax on it at least 24 hours before I go riding so it's not all gummy and wet. But I only ride sand.