Titanium Frame

tmac20031

You think $7000 is worth a 21 lb weight reduction and titaniums strength.(Basically, if you had 7 g's would you get it?). Im tired of speed at this point cause there will always be a banshee faster than somebody elses so Ive been looking everywhere for things to lighten hear up and get hear to handle better.

Some of you might be thinking,"why dont you just get a YFZ" and just to nip that in the bud before it starts, 2-stroke 350 twin has gotten into my blood and anything else will just not do, I probably wouldnt survive :yelrotflmao:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, 7G for a frame!?! Seems a bit high to me, for the couple of pounds you lose it doesn't quite seem worth it to me. I dunno what you look like or anything, but a diet would seem a lot cheaper and a lot more practical to lose 20 something lbs. haha :beer:

EDIT: Wallrat you beat me to it! Bastard! lol

Edited by BigRed350x

The cost of performance follows almost an exponential curve. 7 g's for a frame might seem ridiculous when your bike is worth 2500. But, when you are talking about a big triple motor where the cases run 3 grand, the 7 grand for the frame doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Look at the going rate for some of those HS Customs bikes that get sold. Last one I saw had a 30k price tag on it.

As for the 7g price tag, it must be worth it, because people buy them. Titanium ain't cheap, and it ain't cheap to fabricate and weld correctly either.

I went on Dave Moore's site and I think he had an outlaw dagger style frame on their......granted it came basically as a rolling chassis, was like $5,000 and it wasn't titanium either. I don't know what my point is but all the after market frames are spendy, Odaen's right obviously someones buying them or they'd be cheaper by now.

titanium and carbon have about the same life. It isn't going to last very long. Even though it is stronger it is more brittle and doesn't fatige like steel.

Assuming the frames are properly engineered given the material they are made of, that statement is just plain wrong. :down:

If you raced as a career and 21lbs meant food on the table, then yeah, I'd say $7g's MIGHT be worth the investment. Otherwise, not in a million years!

You could always try losing 21lbs of body weight. You'd actually save money that way.

Well, Im not over wieght, anymore. I used to play football and I lost 50 lbs. I dont think I could lose anymore seeing as that i dont have any left, and I dont think cutting off limbs would be a good option :yelrotflmao: . Well, I dont race as a career but I take trips alot and riding is like a hobby, you could say. I just want to lighten hear up and make hear strong so that it will last me a long time and since I have the money I just wanted some opinions to see if it is a good move. I mean if there was another way to shave 20 lbs off I would do it. Ive already ordered Hiper carbon fiber wheels and I plan to install roll design a-arms and their swinger(thats for later). The only other thing I can think of that holds alot of wieght is the engine but there aint much I can do in that department. i did find a carbon fiber stator cover but thats about it.

Assuming the frames are properly engineered given the material they are made of, that statement is just plain wrong. :down:

uh no, you want me to scan some of the matieral properties from my engineering books. I have personally designed and built components out of ti for my company. There are drawbacks to using the metal.

uh no, you want me to scan some of the matieral properties from my engineering books. I have personally designed and built components out of ti for my company. There are drawbacks to using the metal.

I dont understand what you are talking about? Everyone knows that titanium is one of the strongest materials in the world. I mean, NASA wouldnt use it for there space shuttles if it didnt last long. When you talk about longevity of titanium I hope your talking about several hundred years. Also, what do you mean by brittle, its freakin Titanium, the last thing it is is brittle. Carbon, yeah its brittle but you cant compare it to Titanium.

You property of the materials that you seem to be keyed in on is modulus of elasticity. You can get around this by increasing sectional thickness so the material will not flex as much and there fore not fatigue Like I said, if the frame is properly engineered out of its respective material, then your original statment is still wrong.

As for your offer, I am interested in seeing which engineering books that you are misunderstanding. Just because you design and build things, does not mean that you know what you are doing.

Thank you, drive through. :laugh: