What type of plugs do you guys run?

2001JLShee

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I run NGK BR9ES plugs in my shee with FMF Fattys, Wiseco Prolites, Boyesen Power Reeds on stock cage and the single K & N. What do ya think the best spark plugs are. I used to run BR8ES but my mechanic said to bump up to 9's. What's your 2 cents? :shrug:

i run br8evx's in mine the ones with the small electrode.....there a lil more expensive but i didnt foul a plug all year......

Hey guys,

I run NGK BR9ES plugs in my shee with FMF Fattys, Wiseco Prolites, Boyesen Power Reeds on stock cage and the single K & N. What do ya think the best spark plugs are. I used to run BR8ES but my mechanic said to bump up to 9's. What's your 2 cents? :shrug:

Find a new mechanic....8's do fine all day long.

I'm switching to 9's cause I'm going to be running alky.... Please don't tell me your mechanic said use a 9 "because it'll make it run cooler..."....

:banghead:

BR8ES and be done.

I ran BR8ES in my cubs few weekends ago at Silver Lake, bought some BR8EIX plugs to see if there was a difference, nope....other than my wallet was a little smaller.....

I personally don't think the irridium plugs are worth the money, if your bike is jetted properly and maintained properly, you should NEVER foul a plug.

Any body ever try a BPR8ES. It is a projector style plug. The center electrode sticks out a little farther. I am going to check clearances next time I have my engine appart. I guess I could gap it really big; and then put it in roll the engine over by hand; and then check to see if the gap changed. If the spark was down in the cylinder a little more I think that would help performance, but they might foul easier.

josh

I run B8ES.... Whatever you do, dont run bosh platinum 4's, they are soo hot it caused my bike to run so ridiculously lean. Plus they cost 5 bucks a pop.

not only that but the split fire and all those multi prong plugs are not logical... electricity takes the path of least resistance. and that path dosent change back and forth between the two prongs, one prong dosent all of the sudden get weaker and then gain its resistance back between jolts of electricity.

Find a new mechanic....8's do fine all day long.

I personally don't think the irridium plugs are worth the money, if your bike is jetted properly and maintained properly, you should NEVER foul a plug.

i have to disagree.......my jetting is perfect.....nice golden color on the plugs

but with trail riding and luging the motor around in the trails the br8es tends to foul out

if you were racing i would say the same thing.....br8's will work fine

but for my setup and kind of riding i do the evx's are the best ive found

i have to disagree.......my jetting is perfect.....nice golden color on the plugs

but with trail riding and luging the motor around in the trails the br8es tends to foul out

if you were racing i would say the same thing.....br8's will work fine

but for my setup and kind of riding i do the evx's are the best ive found

if your fouling out plugs luging in trials then your jetting isnt perfect plain and simple... your not getting tons for fuel coming into your motor when your not on the gas so your not going to flood it out its when you dump the throttle and too much gas for a too rich jet that fouls it out... you over welm the plug all at once and it cant burn the fuel off and fouls out...

yeah, under no circumstances should you foul a plug if youre jetting is setup correctly.

ive been running the same set of plugs (br8es) that came with my bike from the factory. my banshee even sees kiddy duty, meaning i take my nephiews and neices on nice and very slow trail rides. under these circumstances my banshee probably only gets to 3000 rpm's and never into the powerband.

ive never fouled these plugs.

im no expert on plugs however the projector plugs aim to move the spark deeper inside the combustion chamber so that the spark is more centralised. very basically this gives you a bit more timing advance. ive heard in cars its good for half a degree or so. downside is they can cause preignition easier than a conventional plug because of the projected tip.

if you want that half a degree, slot youre timing plate, or buy an adjustable one. i dont think its worth the risk running projector plugs on a 2 stroke. but like i said im no expert.