Okay, what EXACTLY is an "override transmission"?

voo doo in my book ... i emagine some type of griding or modification to the drum itself some how some way .

BigRed or Jeff from F.A.S.T. would be the best one to explain it as they know what the shop actually do. I am interested as what is actually in a duneable override. :geek:

well im no biulder but i think an override is done by beveling the ends of the gears and setting tension so they mesh easier then you can shift underfull power with out a clutch... there is a science to it and only few ppl know how to do it right all them other guys are just dealers....

Edited by bansheefreak

BigRed or Jeff from F.A.S.T. would be the best one to explain it as they know what the shop actually do. I am interested as what is actually in a duneable override. :geek:

They do something to the shift drum and forks also. I sent mine out for the duneable 1-5 and all that was need was the tranny itself and the shift drum. Ill snap some pics when I get it back.

I thought there were just mice on steroids.............. :yelrotflmao:

I checked into the duneable over-ride, but unless you are using the shee for dragging, you are pushing overkill to a new level............. :beer:

I had to read that a few times and it still doesn't make sense. :banghead:

Sixth gear is actually removed......There is extensive welding and machining to the shift drum. As well as some machining and beveling on the gears.

This man knows exactly what he's talking about....

Taboo and rumors really describe an override...to be honest.

A standard, run of the mill override is upshifting without the clutch in the cut gears, but...you need to pull in the clutch when you're not on the gas. In other words, the motor needs to push the bike.

This is the standard in any drag race bike, period. You don't have to come to a complete stop, but...you really ought to slow down with teh clutch in to downshift....

If you let off the gas too many times without pulling in the clutch, you'll bend a shift fork and damage the tranny....

Dunable is a new breed. Upshift without pulling in the clutch, use the clutch, don't use it.

badassbanshee has a dunable, along with quite a few others on here. It was explained to him you don't want to really leave it in gear to slow the bike down...but, it's much much more forgiving than a standard override. Hence the name "Dunable" or "Trail" override...

Standard Overrides have been around forever. I think it's pretty safe to say, dunables have not been around nearly as long...and their long term use is still a small question mark....

There are a TON of people that can make an override tranny (not nearly as many make the dunable)... however, just like anything else...a handful of them make them very well....

That about sum it up..alky?

LOL, its not really any kind of fancy voodoo. Just machine work on the drum and work done to the cogs on the gears themselves for the most part. The duneable is a little different, but still the same principle. The dunable uses springs to help center the shift forks. At least the one I tore apart did. LOL I have used springs in my transmission for years and never thought anything about it. Now I wish I had a patent on it. I wonder how many of those little things I've done I could have made money off of. There's a couple other little things I've done inside the cases that I THINK have made a difference that I haven't seen anywhere else. Maybe I should patenet them! LOL I've always been one to experiment with stuff. Yeah, blown up a few engines and trannys and stuff but once you get something that works dialed in good its fun to know you have something no one else does... I have a shift drum that I modded myself and I love it. :beer:

I've also done some stuff to my 450 already. I pissed off a LOT of people on labor day weekend at the dunes. Aparently they don't like getting passed by a YFZ with stock exhaust and stock cams. I raced a guy who had an 04 YFZ with hot cams, pipe, intake, high compression piston and CDI and I would walk him by 1-2 lenghts at the top of the hill. Only thing I've bought for my 450 is one of those intakes off ebay. The rest of the stuff I've done myself. LOL Gotta love it.

Edited by BigRed350x

LOL, its not really any kind of fancy voodoo. Just machine work on the drum and work done to the cogs on the gears themselves for the most part. The duneable is a little different, but still the same principle. The dunable uses springs to help center the shift forks. At least the one I tore apart did. LOL I have used springs in my transmission for years and never thought anything about it. Now I wish I had a patent on it. I wonder how many of those little things I've done I could have made money off of. There's a couple other little things I've done inside the cases that I THINK have made a difference that I haven't seen anywhere else. Maybe I should patenet them! LOL I've always been one to experiment with stuff. Yeah, blown up a few engines and trannys and stuff but once you get something that works dialed in good its fun to know you have something no one else does... I have a shift drum that I modded myself and I love it. :beer:

I've also done some stuff to my 450 already. I pissed off a LOT of people on labor day weekend at the dunes. Aparently they don't like getting passed by a YFZ with stock exhaust and stock cams. I raced a guy who had an 04 YFZ with hot cams, pipe, intake, high compression piston and CDI and I would walk him by 1-2 lenghts at the top of the hill. Only thing I've bought for my 450 is one of those intakes off ebay. The rest of the stuff I've done myself. LOL Gotta love it.

From henceforth, I shall refer to the aforementioned "duneable override" as the bigred350x tranny. What would you charge to do the machine work to my shift drum and cogs? You could probably turn some good dough with all of the equipment you have and your know how.

me and my brother both have duneable overrides. they work excellent. shift up or down with or without the clutch. ours are 2-4 because for hillclimbing we dont need to get into 5th but i have heard of 2-5. dave moore cut the tranny in my 10mm and redline racing did my bros 4mm cub and my 4mm cub..they all work well..