Tutorial for cut front fenders

Dmcbanshee

Just a small tutorial.How to cut front fenders.This is my method but it's not the only one.If you have others good idea put here.I hoped they help you :beer:

First step: take your beautiful elephant ears :baseball_w00t:

debut.jpg

2:With a felt-tip pen to trace a line of cut

marquer.jpg

3: To follow your line of cut with a jig saw

sciesauteuse.jpg

Result

couper.jpg

4:Make the same thing on other side

apres.jpg

5:For the completion I use a blade of utility knife

finition.jpg

6:You can put them at the dustbin

poubelle.jpg

7:On the Banshee

bikepics-659777-800.jpg

Edited by Dmcbanshee

Just a small tutorial.How to cut front fenders.This is my method but it's not the only one.If you have others good idea put here.I hoped they help you :beer:

I did pretty much the same thing, I just took a little more time to do it...

I started by using green painters masking tape to make my cut lines. That gives you nice strait lines to go by and the tape helps keep the cut smooth with less burs. I used a Jig saw with fine tooth blades to make the cuts. I cut the points back a little on the front and bottom of the fender (just a pref.)

Then use a fine file to square up the lines and radius the corners. And use the razor like DMC showed to clean up the edges.

Last I hit the edges with 400 and 800 grit sand paper. And Viola!

ps - I found it to be easier to cut them while mounted on the quad.......the fenders that is, not me :biggrin:

Edited by AssWhore

Not to hijack your thread , but i found that if you use a dremel with a mini cut off disc ( 1 inch ? ) it works way easier and is much more easier to handle..... However i do notice the case of beer and how thats not mentioned in the steps. Here is some of my buddies doing there fender jobs after a case of beer .... PS . I wouldnt use a recipricating saw if my life depended on it.

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

i normally use a lighter with 600 grit sand paper , heat the leading edge up and come in and smooth it out while its slightly warm.

I think lee needs to make a " how to " forumn catagory

I use a 4" angle grinder/cutoff wheel and leave them on the quad, then trim the edges with a razor. I sand them straight and round the edges, then top it all off with a plumbers torch to get rid of the haze on the fenders from the sandpaper. It also gives some gloss to the edges but you have to be careful since it's easy to melt them. :thumb:

Between my bike and friends bikes I have helped/done about 5-6 sets of plastics.. Used everythimg from a marker to tape, Salz zall(sp) to cut off wheel, and file to sand paper... Best combo:

First-As someone esle said, use tape to get the line you want.. Basicly I used the tape(inner edge) to represent the cut line. Tape is great obviously because you can easly change it multipul times to get "the look" your after..

Second- Like DMC did I found a jig saw to work the best.. I used a simi fine toothed blade so its not cutting out huge chunks but its also not just sitting there causing allot of heat and melting the plastic. I have found cutoff wheels/ dremel are hard to keep from melting the plastics as well as controling for a nice straight cut.. They do a ok job but not as clean of a job as a jigsaw(IMO). The jigsaw can also melt the plastic to but overall it was much easier to control with minimal melting.. One thing with the jigsaw you need to be aware of is where the "feet" run.. It CAN scratch the pastic as you go so once you found the line your wanting to cut, it may not be a bad idea to put some tape down where the feet of the jugsaw will run. I would never recomend the Salz zall :yelrotflmao: VERY HARD TO CONTROL

Lastly- The best way I found for finishing was(as others have said) a file works well to get the BIG stuff smoothed out but after that wet sanding is the key.. I used a plastic renew kit at the same time of cutting the fenders so it worked well to do it all at once.. Never tried the torch method after wet sanding but sounds like a pretty good idea.

I know most of what I said was regurgitated of what everyone else said.. :shrug: But I hope I added something useful :tongue:

RIPPEN

i used a hack saw and sanded the sides down to make it look good and then put chrome door trim in it to hide all the flaws. :biggrin:

The hacksaw does work really well, just takes a bit longer.. But the cuts are really nice!

As far as the torch working to get out stress marks.. I used a heat gun and it worked AWSOME.. The stress marks are allot smaller than before. Can barely tell where they are :headbang:

RIPPEN

I love quebec, cheapest price for beer in canada :baseball_w00t:

When i went to my cottage last week i pad $20.95 for a 24.

I agree beer are at good price in Quebec :beer:

And thanks for all your other method guys this will be a great help for those which want to cut their fenders