Canada has rocks, mud, snow and no sand!

swag

Hey Guys,

I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and damn you all for your talk of dune riding. lol. Now my wife and son want to go "duning" as they call it. We each have a shee but they are armoured and set up mainly for trails and mx. They are super fast for around here but I am wondering if they would cut it in the big dunes. They are as follows.

Mine: 03 k@n, 38mm, flatslide, v3's, mx porting, 66.5mm bore, cool head 19cc domes, sst's, timing plate, barnett clutch, way wide dura blue, +1+2 arms, yfz frt shocks, elka rear.

Wifes: 04 k@n, 40mm lectron, v2's, heavy mx porting, 66mm bore, cool head 20cc domes, fattys, timing plate,stock clutch (springs), dura blue, +1+2 arms, ohlins frt and rear.

Son:05 pod, 38mm flat, v3's porting (unknown bought a set of those preported jugs off e-bay), jug port hits way up on top, 64mm bore, prodesign cool head 18cc domes, trinitys, timing plate, hinson clutch, dominator axle, +1+2 arms, elkas all around.

I have no idea what kind of hp these would have compared to "the big boys" and if they are going to be sucked out and no fun for us we won't come. I race mx and i know what a sand track does for power so i can't imagine a virgin dune!

Also I have no access to paddles or frt tires either. And i don't know how many paddles to run with our bikes. My wife thinks we sould just get some when we get down there but i don't know.

Any suggestions?

Where is the best duning experience in the U.S.A.? Actually forget I asked that. I don't want to start a huge argument. Where can a experience the dunes where we can camp and it's ok to have a few cold CANADIEN beer after riding?

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping for some feedback so i can make plans. We would leave here in late feb cause in feb it is like -28 here for like 2 months. The blazing heat of the desert will feel good about then.

If any of you ever want to jouney this way in the summer there is no land restriction here. Crown (federal land) is fair game. so there is litteraly thousands of miles of trails, gravel pits, mud holes, and fire roads to jam on. Also ice racing in early winter before it gets too cold.

Thanks for any feed back.

The best dunes are probably in Glamis...

However, that's California. I simply can't imagine the drive there from Michigan, let alone Nova Scotia? Yikes.

Maybe some of the southern boys can help out here...

Anything in KS, Missouri...or other states that has dunes open in Feb. Silver Lake in MI is a blast, but...you'd probably need snow tires for those babies in Feb., if they were even open.

Chase...is there dunes in/near Florida for our neighbors to the north?

Honestly Swag, you're talking southern US for any decent riding in Feb...

And, you're shees will be just fine for dunes. Depending on where you go, you'll see bone stockers with knobby tires on 'em, all the way to 100 +HP fire breathing monsters all stretched out running exotic fuels...and everything in between.

If you have the means to ship the quads and fly yourself, Glamis is the once in a lifetime trip for most. however...I can't see you spending a few weeks JUST DRIVING there and back...

What about ST Anthony's in Idaho. Suposedly they are the tallest in the USA. You might not need to buy sand tires for one trip. Little Sahara in OK has a shop that rents them out. Maybe ST A's has a place that does the same thing.

ST Anthonys DUNE GUIDE LINK

Dead Horse Bowl

StAnthonyDeadHorseBowl-3.jpg

Devil's Dune

StAnthonyDevilsDune-2.jpg

Choak Cherry

StAnthonyChokeCherry-4.jpg

We are going to St. A's for Labor Day, I'm stoked!

Def. buy paddle tires, even if you only hit sand once. They make a night and day difference, especially on a banshee. Sit in one spot spinning going through gears trying to move or hook up and get the hell outta there.

I LOVE the fact they all have Ohlins or Elkas....I'm jealous!! :clap::clap:

Swag, here is the difference. If you get a straight edged paddle, they will accelerate better at the expense of some turning. A V Blade style paddle will turn better, but will not dig in as good as a straight edge.

Since you're all used to MX...and none of you look to be drag racers, I'd opt for a set of V Edge paddles...

I run sand stars on my raptor and banshee. My bro aslo has sand stars on the rear of his black and red raptor.

RaptorDuneSetup-2.jpg

RaptorBanshee-1.jpg

They are supose to be one of the best V paddle desings. The rears have a little scoop in betweent the full paddles. There front tires have dual ribs down the middle to help turn better.

ITP Sand Star LINK

sandstar.jpg

The best dunes are probably in Glamis...

However, that's California. I simply can't imagine the drive there from Michigan, let alone Nova Scotia? Yikes.

Maybe some of the southern boys can help out here...

Anything in KS, Missouri...or other states that has dunes open in Feb. Silver Lake in MI is a blast, but...you'd probably need snow tires for those babies in Feb., if they were even open.

Chase...is there dunes in/near Florida for our neighbors to the north?

Honestly Swag, you're talking southern US for any decent riding in Feb...

And, you're shees will be just fine for dunes. Depending on where you go, you'll see bone stockers with knobby tires on 'em, all the way to 100 +HP fire breathing monsters all stretched out running exotic fuels...and everything in between.

If you have the means to ship the quads and fly yourself, Glamis is the once in a lifetime trip for most. however...I can't see you spending a few weeks JUST DRIVING there and back...

no dunes or snow :baseball_bat: in fla. :flamewar: plenty of beaches though I just wish you could roost on them!

this might help

ocala national forest

dune guide