Does it matter which piston goes where?

hmm id have to disagree here..everytime i have ever had cylinders bored they wanted the pistons. when i got the cylinders back they were marked with a 1 and 2 so id get the pistons in the right hole. a couple of these times were from reputable builders also...take it for what its worth. i guess if they werent marked then go ahead...

hmm id have to disagree here..everytime i have ever had cylinders bored they wanted the pistons. when i got the cylinders back they were marked with a 1 and 2 so id get the pistons in the right hole. a couple of these times were from reputable builders also...take it for what its worth. i guess if they werent marked then go ahead...

i'd have to agree with you loco to a certain extent.alot of builders do bore according to the piston and mark which piston they bored which cylinder for.however alot of builders on the other hand don't mic the pistons indivually when they bore the cylinders.as a rule the pistons are the same or close enough that it dont matter.in rare instances there has been a pretty significant difference in piston specs even though they are supposed to be the same.

i'd have to agree with you loco to a certain extent.alot of builders do bore according to the piston and mark which piston they bored which cylinder for.however alot of builders on the other hand don't mic the pistons indivually when they bore the cylinders.as a rule the pistons are the same or close enough that it dont matter.in rare instances there has been a pretty significant difference in piston specs even though they are supposed to be the same.

So what you're saying is that on a stock motor it doesnt matter wich one goes where, but on a bored motor, they have to marked for the right cyclinder?

I thought the same thing ...............when I got my motor back the pistons were marked for each cylinder...................I have never taken apart a stock shee motor to replace it back to stock.......always had it ported/pistons to match........ :thumb:

I have a owner of 2 strokes for 20 years it doesn't matter which goes where the stealerships and builders will tell you anything you want to hear so they sound technical,its up to you if you take all that bullshit in.I know better I have had to re-piston alot of 2 strokes in my past and it don't mean jack which side you put them in unless they are bored different sizes.they can mark them l/r or 1/2 whatever.

When havin Cyl. Bored out to the next size say u get pistons for a .20 bore out of the box there not gonna be exactly the .20 over bore that was done on your Cyl. yah thell work but to get the best performance/top end life like Tyler & Blueshee brought up, a good shop will match the pistons to the bore size and thats why theyd be marked

When havin Cyl. Bored out to the next size say u get pistons for a .20 bore out of the box there not gonna be exactly the .20 over bore that was done on your Cyl. yah thell work but to get the best performance/top end life like Tyler & Blueshee brought up, a good shop will match the pistons to the bore size and thats why theyd be marked

definetely agree that matching is the way to go. i had a top end done my jerry hall about a year ago and i ride every week. compression is still at 170 pounds and there is not a single scratch in either cylinder.

I agree that it only matters if the machine shop took the time to measure both pistons before he bored the cylinders. If the shop just did a general rebuild and wasn't worried about optimum performance than it doesn't matter which hole they go in. My shop had to have both pistons in hand before he would bore the cylinders.

I've always had them mark the pistons. I bet it would be rare for two pistons to be absolutely identical. The piston's blueprints allow a tolerance in either direction for cirumference. But, you may not notice any difference if you don't mark them, b/c the pistons may be so close it won't matter. Just my 0.02.