top end needs rebuilt

MILO

shee's been running a bit rough here and there, but not constant. i thought maybe i had dirty carbs or a bad reed or something, so i tore into it to check. no big deal. :confused: thru the intake ports i could see a crack and some damage to the rt piston skirt :huh: so i pulled the head to look a little deeper. here's what i found - check out these pics -

000_0169.jpg

000_0173.jpg

000_0177.jpg

000_0179.jpg

000_0178.jpg

000_0175.jpg

000_0174.jpg

000_0165.jpg

000_0166.jpg

there was about 2" of the ring missing near the gouge in the piston, not sure if it's gonna show up in the pic

the left side piston seemed fine, no damage anywhere that i could see.

i'm just glad i found this before it let loose and locked her up with more damage. not sure what all i'm gonna do now since it needs rebuilt. maybe .020 over, noss or pd cool head :confused: i don't want to get into major $$, probably around $500 max if possible. unless i add v3's while i'm messin. :rolleyes: gotta do some research before i start throwing cash around. shee ought to be a new beast when i'm done though. :clap:

Edited by MILO

sorry about some of the big pics.  i forgot to shrink them first and can't seem to shrink them now.  but it does show detail of the damage pretty good.  :P

499038[/snapback]

Give jim from passion racing a call he will hook you up, or pm him on here passionRE

don't know what the actual compression was, everything in the top end is stock though. i usually run 92-93 octane depending on where i get it from. mixing 2r 32:1

I wouldn't recommend this. Nothing against him or anything..

499255[/snapback]

i'll highly recommend jim at passion if you need anything.also milo if ya want to stop in at bbdr april 22 its test and tune and we'll have a couple of jim's motors there and you'll be able to see first hand why i recommend him.first real race at bbdr is may 6 come on out and check em out.

i don't really think shee's been running hot, but i'll double check the impeller and so on. i put a pro design impeller and new bearing/seal in last spring, so i hope all is well with it.

plug chops looked great last time i checked so i think the jetting should be cool.

i was just thinking that the ring snapped and got tangled up in there and caused all the other damage since it's broken out right where the missing piece of ring is. how can you tell if it's detonation, or a leaky gasket? i'm not really sure what to look for to identify that being the cause. :confused:

yeah, i'd love to make it to bbdr some this year. i can hear them running later at night from my house. i'll see what the schedule is for test and tune, i think my wife already made plans for me for that day. lol.

i'm thinking of going with .020 or .030 bore, wiseco pro lites, and a noss head. gotta hook up with dlnoss i guess and make sure i get the right domes. i'm thinking 21 or 20's to stay under the race fuel level.

what about porting? on the average woods port how much $$ would i be lookin at? if ported do you have to advance the timing to compensate? i'm sure that will play into dome choice also.

thanks for the help guys. B)