what is bump steer?

mattw204

I talked to evil about 2 weeks ago... Going nuts with the ranger pre-runner... doin good....I see boonman logged in every once and a while.. I believe he has a life... wish I could say the same :( ...

Mike

492174[/snapback]

i drive by evils house every day on the way to work, i need to stop in and see whats up?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike:

I've wanted a TRUE LT on my shee for a LONG ass time.... I just cant see spending the $ on whats available when its almost no better than standard travel.

Trust me I will have one if I can just get some time and $ to play with it. I may have to find a spare frame to mess with. If I do... You know I will put all the details on my site.

Brooke:

I have a prize for ya! :yank: Payoff is at the end :lol:

btw honey... site is back up! www.roostfest.net

Duece:

Thanks for the welcomed return..

Only place ive had the pleasure to ride so far is Dumont.... Once i get settled out there I'll be lookin for more places to ride. Rocks are no worse than back east... Hell riding down Denny's way you need 1/4" plate steel skid plates.

• 4 weeks later...
Hell riding down Denny's way you need 1/4" plate steel skid plates.

rocks anyone ?

12.jpg

9.jpg

Rocks... iv been lucky for too long, 2 weekends ago I bent my rear brake rotor on a rock, I limped it home pissed that my day was done. I get back to the garage and sonofabitch I got a flat rear tire too, the tire has a 1\2 inch rip in the sidewall and the rock that tore my tire GOUGED THE HELL OUTTA MY HIPER RIM !!! Luckly the gash is only in the beadlock ring. I threw 2 plugs in my tire and put on a replacement brake rotor and rode it all last weekend with no troubles. But ya... im gettin' sick of the rock'age :(

side note, i just bought a Pro-tec stainless steel swingarm skid.

• 5 months later...

I was just wondering after reading bump steer threads if any body ever thought of bending (controlled) stainless tie rods to match the angles of a arms. I'm going to using yfz a arms with trx shocks.

You can make them do loops, but as long as they start and end at the same place, you didn't change anything. Same with the a-arms.

You can make them do loops, but as long as they start and end at the same place, you didn't change anything. Same with the a-arms.

Thanks da, I don't do loops, but some times I do jump through hoops! I was just trying to visualize what it looks like as the shocks compress ( before tear my quad apart and see it for my self) I still wondering if tie rods get bent that they would angle tie rods ball joints different and prevent some bump steer, but mostly I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to mechanics.

Edited by rkc

why not modify your steering stem to realign the joints with the a-arm pivots? It would quicken your steering ratio, but that could be normalized with a modified spindle.

gimme , what does this entail? Do I modify my existing stem with a modified spindle or are you talking about a after market stem? If new, what kind do you suggest?

oh no, ive never done it. it just seems that if you look at a preadtor steering setup it uses linkages, however the same could be accomplished by using a stem that has a ~2" wider hole mount location on each side. roughly putting the ball joints in line with the lower frame rails. it would just take some thick steel plate with a mild bend in the middle and 4 holes drilled in. 2 to locate to the stem and two to relocate the ball joint studs. unless you work in a machine shop and can taper ream those holes id recommend a heim joint steering setup. and since youre moving your rods out 2 inches, you still use stock length tie rods with +2 arms.

any thoughts anyone?