what is bump steer?

mattw204

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump Steer is pretty much what the name says... Basically it's how small bumps, rocks etc. effect your steering.....

Mike

489354[/snapback]

No.

basically  its when you are riding and when you hit bumps and stuff it trys to rip the handles bars out of your hands...

489423[/snapback]

No.

Its caused by not having the proper angles in your suspension.  When the arms travel up and down, the tie rod should follow a similar arc.  If it doesn't, then on bumps the wheels will toe in/out causing the bike to veer one way or another.

489358[/snapback]

Yes. Bump steer is caused by improper steering geometry. In an ideal system the tie rod mount by the tire should fall in line with the a-arm mounts on the spindle, and the tie rod mount on the stem should fall in inline with the a-arms mounts at the frame. If the mounts are lined up and the tie rod is at the same angle as the a-arms you won't have any bump steer (the tie rod moves exactly the same as the a-arms). Now if one of those things isn't satisfied, the a-arms and tie rods aren't moving the same as the suspension compresses, and it changes the toe angle of the quad. The problem with a banshee is the wide frame where the a-arms mount. Look at the newer quads and you'll see that they have narrower frames up front.

Hitting stuff in the trails and having your handlebars jerk, is not bump steer. Its just annoying as fuck.

plain and simply without going into all the technical crap... it's ANYTHING that causes a change in steering direction other than rider input. the arc of the suspension travel will cause bump steer and hitting a rock with wide-offset front tire will also cause bump steer. For optimum conditions, a narrow offset (4-1) wheel and properly designed front control arm suspension will minimize this. Ideally, you want the the center of the wheel/tire assembly direcly over the center of the ball-joint. Most of the suspension problems, we can't deal with. Unless you buy an LSR 250r geometry frame, you have what you have, so just do the best you can with it.

Yes, I'm alive! And enjoying sunny LV/dunes for a change.... :)

Scott: You are 100% spot on. There is no way you can set up a banshee w/o some bumpsteer. (notice I said SOME for those of you that have sand in your vaginal cavities) If we all rode on perfect flat ground we wouldnt have any fun now would we? To prove this all one needs to do is put their bike on a stand with the suspension hanging. Remove the shocks and cycle the suspension from full droop to full compression. Watch what happens while keeping the opposite side from moving.

/me steps off his soap box

btw; How ya been scott and gimmeabeer

in a nutshell bumpsteer is the shit that completely goes away when you install a 480 dollar Scotts Steering Stabilizer :cheers:

490160[/snapback]

Hehe close Jim.... but not entirely true. That scotts just takes away the initial hit. Sure its a kick ass product that is light years beyond the competiton. I will give it that. The only thing that will take it away is a new front frame section and suspension

Matt: please do a search for LT discussions. That is a topic I wont even approach here. Once you read the previous posts you will understand why. On a side note... where have you ever seen an MX track that only has doubles and no corners?? LT setups on a banshee.......... ugh.... do a search and tell me what you think

so bump steer is from what i have read when the handlebars try to jerk out of your hands.. i must be reading it wrong or something cus from what i read its was basically same thing i explained in easier terms... this would be why they sell steering stabiler to help bump steer... by having a shoc and adjusting it to how hard you want the handle bars to move thus getting rid of bump steer or handlesbars cranking left or right ...over objects.. this is just my opinion and some after i read what others said..