what is bump steer?

mattw204

hey wally, suck my cock. I dont know why you gotta be busting my balls all the time. I thought you left this forum for good, whats the matter does your ego need stroked that you came back here. Oh look everyone the banshee god is here to teach us again. :notworthy: Man I havent said shit about you the first time you got your panties in a bunch, I havent said shit about you since and the first you thing you do when you get back on this forum is bust my balls. WFT is your problem with me ? Iv only asked you that 20 times now. I don't want nothing to do with you and your ego. Dont mention my name anymore.

Edited by Meat

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true meat. You tried to hijack my Axis thread this past Friday to call Walt out on all the shit he and you swapped prior to his leaving. I'm glad to see that you deleted the post before anyone else saw it, but the gauntlet was thrown. So don't try playing the innocent victim.

Ok so back on topic. If you guys are having a hard time understanding this then think of a car w/ bad alignment. It pulls left or right when you aren't touching the steering wheel. This is caused by the wheels either being toed-out (left points to the left, right points right) or toed-in (like crossed-eyes).

Now back to the banshee. In case you've never pulled apart your front end, I'll explain. The only thing keeping your tires pointing forward are those wimpy little tie rods (that's those things that connect from the rear of the spindles to the steering stem). If you removed those you wouldn't just not be able to steer, but your front wheels would flop around almost 180 degrees from front to back at will. Since the tie rods connect at a different location than either of the arms that the wheel pivots on, the distance the arms travel vs. the tie rods can vary. Its further from the center of the tie rod arc than it is from the center of the A-arm arc. The smaller the difference is between these two radii, the less adverse effect there will be on steering during full travel. Alot of math is involved in setting up the correct geometry needed to have zero bumpsteer. Sredish went really in depth into where the critical angles are. Well...more than I would have bothered anyway.

Will bump steer adversly affect your banshee? I suppose it depends on your riding style. If you take it pretty easy and don't really use your suspension to its full extent, than no it probably won't bother you. But if that's your type of use, why fork out the $$$ for LT? If on the otherhand you're really on it, well then you decide how you'd feel landing that double with your front wheels pointing away from each other and the bike suddenly wanting to veer to the left or right (and yes it can be either direction).

A steering stabilizer will minimize the effects to the extent that it will remove any jerking of the bars as well as correct for rider error in trying to over-correct, but the bike is still gonna turn when you hit a bump. Stabilizers correct for forces acting on the steering stem, which is a secondary motion when it comes to bump steer. The primary force is the tie rod traveling beyond its critical angle.

Edited by Wallrat

deleted it cause I didnt want to start arguing with this guy walter and you seemed pissed that i defended myself. Wallrat you should lecturing wally too, he started this shit outta nowhere. WTF is up with that ? I should just keep my mouth shut ?? I think your afraid to tell Walter to "quit hijacking your thread" :cry: WTF did I ever do to this fucker walter character I'll never no. Says Im "coy", wtf ?? :cheers:

hey wally, suck my cock.  I dont know why you gotta be busting my balls all the time.  I thought you left this forum for good, whats the matter does your ego need stroked that you came back here.  Oh look everyone the banshee god is here to teach us again. :notworthy:  Man I havent said shit about you the first time you got your panties in a bunch, I havent said shit about you since and the first you thing you do when you get back on this forum is bust my balls. :cry:  WFT is your problem with me ?  Iv only asked you that 20 times now.  I dont want nothing to do with you and your ego.  Dont mention my name anymore.

490404[/snapback]

Why is it almost everyone of your posts gets edited? Your the FUCKING pussy. Im sorry I dont suck cock, Thats your job you fuckin pillow biter.

I left this forum because I was sick of your fuckin crybaby two-faced bullshit. Every time you make a post you go back to edit it to make it look like someone else is the bad guy for pissing on your forehead when your the asswipe that started the shit slinging. If you cant handle the truth then jump off a fuckin bridge. I didnt come back here to put up with your childish games. I was asked by someone to give MY FUCKIN INPUT. If you dont like wtf I have to say... BIG god dam deal. Im not here to satisfy you dickweed. I never once said I was a banshee god, so lick the sweaty spot under my nuts you pissant. If you dont want anything to do with me then WHY in christ are you posting here? I've been told by several people that you have tossed me under the bus here and that you go back to edit the post to look like a fuckin angel later. You and your coy bullshit is gay. Grow some hair on those balls or have they not dropped yet. If anyone has an ego its you since you cant take anyones fuckin criticism. Its not my fault you cant understand common knowledge.

Do yourself and many others a favor and slit your wrists.

Have a great day!

deleted it cause I didnt want to start arguing with this guy walter and you seemed pissed that i defended myself.  Wallrat you should lecturing wally too, he started this shit outta nowhere. WTF is up with that ?  I should just keep my mouth shut ??  I think your afraid to tell Walter to "quit hijacking your thread" :cry:  WTF did I ever do to this fucker walter character I'll never no.  Says Im "coy", wtf ??  :cheers:

490490[/snapback]

See there ya go..... Why are you worried about me if your not trying to start shit? If I have been gone you wouldnt have to worry about me now would you, but since you knew I have been around you start your gay shit again. Good god your so predictable. Cry to the world that your mistreated, yet YOUR the only reason why your treated as you are. Just own up to starting shit and it can end.

Get a life

Not true meat.  You tried to hijack my Axis thread this past Friday to call Walt out on all the shit he and you swapped prior to his leaving.  I'm glad to see that you deleted the post before anyone else saw it, but the gauntlet was thrown.  So don't try playing the innocent victim.

Ok so back on topic.  If you guys are having a hard time understanding this then think of a car w/ bad alignment.  It pulls left or right when you aren't touching the steering wheel.  This is caused by the wheels either being toed-out (left points to the left, right points right) or toed-in (like crossed-eyes). 

Now back to the banshee.  In case you've never pulled apart your front end, I'll explain.  The only thing keeping your tires pointing forward are those wimpy little tie rods (that's those things that connect from the rear of the spindles to the steering stem).  If you removed those you wouldn't just not be able to steer, but your front wheels would flop around almost 180 degrees from front to back at will.  Since the tie rods connect at a different location than either of the arms that the wheel pivots on, the distance the arms travel vs. the tie rods can vary.  Its further from the center of the tie rod arc than it is from the center of the A-arm arc.  The smaller the difference is between these two radii, the less adverse effect there will be on steering during full travel.  Alot of math is involved in setting up the correct geometry needed to have zero bumpsteer.  Sredish went really in depth into where the critical angles are.  Well...more than I would have bothered anyway.

Will bump steer adversly affect your banshee?  I suppose it depends on your riding style.  If you take it pretty easy and don't really use your suspension to its full extent, than no it probably won't bother you.  But if that's your type of use, why fork out the $$$ for LT?  If on the otherhand you're really on it, well then you decide how you'd feel landing that double with your front wheels pointing away from each other and the bike suddenly wanting to veer to the left or right (and yes it can be either direction).   

A steering stabilizer will minimize the effects to the extent that it will remove any jerking of the bars as well as correct for rider error in trying to over-correct, but the bike is still gonna turn when you hit a bump.  Stabilizers correct for forces acting on the steering stem, which is a secondary motion when it comes to bump steer.  The primary force is the tie rod traveling beyond its critical angle.

490425[/snapback]

Excellent post Matt... and sorry for the childish bullshit posted above, but I guess one should expect that when dealing with .............. nevermind

I'm walking away from this post before it turns back into the same shit as last time. No reason to repost whats already been beat to death.

What is a Scotts Steering Stabilizer?

It is a compact, fully adjustable, hydraulic shock absorbing stabilizer that mounts to your steering head area right above your handlebar mount. By helping to stabilize the front end of your motorcycle, the rear of the motorcycle will track straighter allowing the rest of your suspension to work the way it was designed to. In addition, the Scotts Steering Stabilizer eliminates that sudden thrust affect of having the handlebars pulled from your hands after unknowingly hitting sharp edged rocks, tree roots or rain ruts. It has also been proven to help minimize rider fatigue and the dreaded arm pumping situation that occurs while wrestling the front end of your bike. Dirt Rider Magazine said, "A Scotts Steering Stabilizer is the single greatest improvement you can make to your motorcycle". Once mounted, it eliminates the unwanted phenomenon known as

Yeah I hear ya. As the observing 3rd party I think you both need to realize that no matter what each of you says/does, you're just not gonna get along. Pretty much the only thing left to decide is who has to throw that last cheap sucker punch just so that they can feel that they've "won". Doesn't matter anyway, only result is gonna be a bunch of wasted time on the comp and maybe a sandy vagina. Whatcha say, quits?

Duece - ya man I agree those things are tits! That's definately a mod in my semi-near future. Their rep had to wrestle their demo display away from me at the LA motorcycle show.

Edited by Wallrat

I've been told by several people that you have tossed me under the bus here and that you go back to edit the post to look like a fuckin angel later.

I delete and edit some posts because I refuse to stoop to your level of name calling. But after I pleaded with you to tell me what pissed you off in the first place and after I apoligized for pissing you off..... Im finished trying to be nice to you. I dare you to tell me what I said that pissed you off. From the VERY VERY VERY beginnings of your long-travel drama, I agreed with you that Banshee's frames and long travel don't jive. I only tried to keep an open mind and try to offer ideas on how we could make a long travel suspension setup work with the banshee. And you took that as... making coy digs at you, as you put it. Your so fuckin egotistical Wally. Its not always all about you.

YOU CAME BACK TO THIS THREAD AFTER MONTHS OF BEING GONE, TO HAMMER ON ME FIRST..... YOU ATTACKED ME. GO BACK IN THIS THREAD AND RE-READ YOU MISERABLE CRANKY SONFABITCH. OH BOO HOO, MEAT IS TAKIN' COY DIGS AT ME. THAT YOUR BIG EGO TALKING THERE, I DIDNT START THIS SHIT.... YOU DID. WANNA DIG UP THE OLD THREADS AND SEE WHO STARTED FIRST ? I DARE YA.

This is getting interesting! I love to watch a good fight.

491141[/snapback]

:evil:

This situation sucks. I took the dog for a walk and calmed down. And I did some thinking. I call for peace. straight up. Im waaaay too old for this internet fighting thing. Look walt, its obvoiously i said some things that offended you and im sorry for that. I think you should come back to bansheehq full time. I won't mention your name and you wont mention me.

When you left the forum, I made I sure that Id never mention your name. I dont say jack shit about you, anywhere. So if someone is saying that I am, they're full of shit.

meat you and walt have forgot more than most of us know about banshee's, i think ive picked both of your brains enough to where im cool, but theres is alot of new guys that could use your help, come on back and just help everyone out like you both allways have, theres a ton of newbies that could use your help, walt you sent me a counter sprocket nut before a race, meat ive sent 10 buddies to your site to change out a clutch, you guys know your shit........you guys are both why this site is #1.....

meat you and walt have forgot more than most of us know about banshee's, i think ive picked both of your brains enough to where im cool, but theres is alot of new guys that could use your help, come on back and just help everyone out like you both allways have, theres a ton of newbies that could use your help, walt you sent me a counter sprocket nut before a race, meat ive sent 10 buddies to your site to change out a clutch, you guys know your shit........you guys are both why this site is #1.....

491291[/snapback]

Got a little something on your nose jim :P ....

Mike