trail teck computer?

ironhead

My buddy I ride with has one and I think its GREAT!!, on long rides we can track our milage so we know when to stop for fuel, not to mention to speedo!

It's pretty easy to hook up to, the maget for the trigger simpley repaces oe of you brake rotor bolts and the instructions are easy to understand!, if you ride trails or any distance I deffinatley recomend it.

They're like $70 I believe. I've got one as well as one of these: Garmin etrex

IMO the GPS is WAY more useful. It does everything that the TrailTech computer does and more. The only thing it doesn't do is keep track of the maintenance mileage/hours - which I never use anyway. The TT is handy, but it won't help you find your way back to camp at night, it won't help you find your buddy that got hurt, or your bike that broke down. Also, the gps can be removed from the bike and used for other things. I've actually got the etrex legend, which I think is discontinued. They've got a handlebar mount for like $7 that works very well and helps waterproof the battery compartment. One of the most useful features is the GOTO mode, which puts a large arrow in the center of the screen. Whichever way you turn, the arrow continues to point to your pre-selected destination as well as displaying 2 other user selected parameters (usually I keep it displaying speed and distance to target). Granted, the GPS is way more useful in dunes, but it works fairly well on trails too.

That works out to like R450, suppose I might as well get here for R599. I have thought of the GPS option to, but its nearly three times the price for the bottom of the range. What does something decent cost by you guys?

that Garmin Etrex, is like 120 at comp USA is there a monthly fee for that to work. I really only need to know speed and stuff but curious if there is a monthly charge like XM radio or Sirius. Looks cool also curious if it tell you how many miles you traveled, MY SHEE drinks allot of gas so dont want to run out in the middle of the dessert.

Thanks for the info.

Have a happy holidays

:dance:

No there's no monthly fee and you don't need anything else to go along with it aside from 2 AA batteries and a view of a semi-unobstructed sky (trees are fine, but you might run into problems in a big city like NY). I'd recommend picking up the handlebar mount kit. It's like $8 or something and replaces the battery cover with an o-ring sealed one and includes the 7/8" mount. Its very easy to slip the unit on/off the bars but its never come loose on me in the 2+ years I've been using it.

There's several information pages available by pushing a single button. From memory, you've got:

-Satellite status page

-overview map (zoomable from globe size down to individual roads-not much detail except for major highways, rivers, etc. though unless you get one of the software programs and download detailed road maps to the unit)

-Goto page (you'll use this and the map 99% of the time)

-Statistics page. Basically all the information that the gps can provide is displayed here. There's like 10 boxes that you can select what information you want to show. Current speed, top speed, distance travelled so far, distance left to target, time travelling, ETA, average speed, time spent stopped, maximum speed, heading, bearing, sunrise time, sunset time, current time, etc. There's more options than you'll ever use. Only drawback is that you can't save the information from one trip. Or you probably could using the supplied PC link cable, but I've never tried. At the beginning of your trip you'll need to reset all the values (or you can just reset specific values) if you want accurate information. Otherwise the gps will record your statistics for this trip just as if you had just shut it off briefly. Not a big deal but good to know.

Other than that you've got other pages that you can access to save/search user-programable waypoints, routes, etc. I cracked the case on my Trailtech computer last season, and still haven't gotten around to ordering a replacement since the gps works so well. I'm thinking I'll probably move the TT over to my CR.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought one didnt work, the cable was faulty, so i emailed her and she sent me another no questions asked, got it installed have to really accomodate it to fit, its very accurate, but here recently my cuz rode my shee to the car wash and when he came back my topspeed was odd, he doesnt know it records top speed and hes 100 lbs light, well my top speed was 98mph and he came back it said top speed 194mph, and its not on km/h, so i think its reliability is questionable. <_<

I use the trail tech and it rocks. and as far as acuaracy...it helps if you do the math right and have the proper sized tires entered into the comp. I have used a GPS to verify the accuaracy of the TT and its within a few miles an hour, but who is to know which is off...the GPS or the TT? Its nice to know how fast your goin, but its even nicer to know how long your ride took. For example, we took a nice ride last month. Took us 7 hours to ride 80 miles. But only 2 hours of that was ride time. Gives your avg and top speeds. the thing kicks ass. Easy to install too. I too had a problem with it not registering in the beginning....come to find out the magnets werent lined up well enough. I had them overlaping about half way...and it wasnt enough. I got it matched almost perfect now.

I have a trail tech, its good I love it. I bought mine at the dunes for 50 $$$. Not bad they adjusted it for me too. The only bad thing is that every one in a while when an airplane flies over it starts reading the airplanes speed. So now my odometer reads 8,000 miles and after the airplane leaves it reads 210 as top speed. In all worth the money and useful also water,heat, sand ,dirt and rock proog. Rolled my banshee 3-4 times with that on and still works. Although I have to tape it on now. :D