Best Spark Plug for a twin 350 shee

twin 350

If you want the highest quality plug then go with BR8EIX.

I don't know why someone here said to use a BR9EIX, as that is the wrong heat range; the 9 in that string of number/letters signifies the heat, and the higher the number the less the heat; it is supposed to be BR8 not BR9.

BR8EIX is the best plug I know of, and they run about $8.00 or so. The IX at the end stands for being IRIDIUM.

437613[/snapback]

Damn skippy, I've had great luck with these and I also find a noticable response, so far 2 years on them, fouling has everything to do with your jetting/tuning.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b8egv is a good platinum plug t o run . it  has a nice spark and resists fouling  in low rpm conditions ,my.02

436414[/snapback]

Thats the same plug I run for that exact reason. Pay a few more bucks but they seem to last quite a bit longer ;)

RIPPEN

this is a little off topic but i heard this from someone on this forum and they said  if you let your banshee idle for too long it will foul the plug. my freind lets his banshee idle for a minute, minute and a half no problem. also i never fouled a plugt at idle and i let my engines sit and idle for a period of time. thanks in advance for replys

460994[/snapback]

As long as your machine is in tune you wont have a problem, i let my banshee idle for 5-6 mins for a warmup and it never has fouled a plug. Come to think of it, it NEVER fouls a plug!! My old Rm 250, on the other hand, would always load up if i would let it idle for more than 2 mins or so, it was a little rich though.

I just noticed that my builder does recomend the BR9EIX, I am guessing it reduces the heat in the combustion area helping to reduce some detonation.

461139[/snapback]

No. The spark plug can't change or influence how much heat is in the combustion chamber. The heat range is for how hot the PLUG stays. A hotter plug has more insulation to hold in more heat, while a colder plug has less so the heat can escape. You use the wrong heat range, and you either foul a plug, or burn it up.

No.  The spark plug can't change or influence how much heat is in the combustion chamber.  The heat range is for how hot the PLUG stays.  A hotter plug has more insulation to hold in more heat, while a colder plug has less so the heat can escape.  You use the wrong heat range, and you either foul a plug, or burn it up.

461195[/snapback]

Kinda sorta... You've got it pretty much right on the plug heat range. A "hotter" plug has more insulation, ie. it holds more heat (just as you said), whereas a "colder" plug has less insulation, and disipates heat more quickly. The problem with running too "hot" of plugs is that the plug itself could actually retain enough heat to cause pre-ignition ("ping"), independent of the controlled burn ignited by the spark. Typically, you will want to run "colder" plugs as you increase the compression ratio (ie. more cylinder temperature) so that you decrease the chance of "ping". This is also the reason for running race fuel with higher octanes, as the octane rating signifies the resistance to combustion.

Most times people will run hotter plugs because the engine is not running properly (4-stroke burning oil for instance) or the do not have the machine jetted properly. The "hotter" plug resists the oil accumulation more than the "colder" plug.

Kinda sorta... You've got it pretty much right on the plug heat range. A "hotter" plug has more insulation, ie. it holds more heat (just as you said), whereas a "colder" plug has less insulation, and disipates heat more quickly. The problem with running too "hot" of plugs is that the plug itself could actually retain enough heat to cause pre-ignition ("ping"), independent of the controlled burn ignited by the spark. Typically, you will want to run "colder" plugs as you increase the compression ratio (ie. more cylinder temperature) so that you decrease the chance of "ping".  This is also the reason for running race fuel with higher octanes, as the octane rating signifies the resistance to combustion.

Most times people will run hotter plugs because the engine is not running properly (4-stroke burning oil for instance) or the do not have the machine jetted properly. The "hotter" plug resists the oil accumulation more than the "colder" plug.

461623[/snapback]

Exactly, I just didn't feel like going into that detail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
As long as your machine is in tune you wont have a problem, i let my banshee idle for 5-6 mins for a warmup and it never has fouled a plug. Come to think of it, it NEVER fouls a plug!! My old Rm 250, on the other hand, would always load up if i would let it idle for more than 2 mins or so, it was a little rich though.

461021[/snapback]

:cheers:

same here... NKG B8ES......