DeTuning cub motors...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet you that 20% is eaten up in a poorly setup clutch anyway. Or poor jetting and/or shitty gearing. Only time 5hp is going to help you is if you know what you are doing and have a well setup bike. 95% of the people dont. And the other 5% wont need decked cylinders...

385158[/snapback]

i agree. tuning is everything.

I'm gonna try to let this one go. At least the HQ got a few more hits from PS members, I don't think they will be back.

385220[/snapback]

dude if you are so desperate for PS members to come here, why dont you just head on over there...i dont see anything wrong with them not comnig here. sure they know a ton of info, but what question has ever risen here that we cannot take care of ourselves?

Bet you that 20% is eaten up in a poorly setup clutch anyway. Or poor jetting and/or shitty gearing. Only time 5hp is going to help you is if you know what you are doing and have a well setup bike. 95% of the people dont. And the other 5% wont need decked cylinders...

385158[/snapback]

I think if you take 5 off , poorly tuned or not, you will be a roost inspector.

5 hp helps ALL the time.

I think the extra 5 on top is actually more benificial to lower level riders. They might make up for a bad start, misshift or poor technical abilities.

But all I know is sand. Might be different in the woods.

nikisil cylinders are the only way to go in my OPINION. I've raced bikes all my life and had nothing but good luck with them, EVEN after some extreme melt downs. Hell, I just had one of my closest freinds throw a rod on his "built to the hilt" KTM 550 hillclimber putting out 90+hp. The rod let go at about a 9,000rpm free rev through the air. If the rod had not broke the lower skirt off the cylinder the bore would not have been hurt at all, and at 9000rpm I'm sure there was a lot of nasty shit happening inside that engine. the piston smacked the cases so hard it folded and twisted the piston skirts up,and broke peices off, but not even one mark on the bore itself.

My brother owned this same bike a couple years back and had a piston break at the skirts on it, the bike kept running the rest of the season, he didn't even know there was a problem untill he tore it down to freshen it up, and again not a mark on the bore of the cylinder. He simply split the cases and dug all the broken peices of the piston out of the lower end , slid a new piston in and back to the races.

This bike was, and still is a top 5 bike anywhere in the US.

Every single motocross bike being sold since about 1988 has had a nikisil bore, 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I'm sure its better than a cast sleave otherwise Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and KTM would not be using them.

A lot of people deck their cylinders, I don't think of it as "detuning" and engine. Its more like moving the power to fit your application.

In all honesty (and I'm sure most of you have seen Locos hillclimb vids) I think Locos cubs would perform better on the hill if his cylinders were decked. I'm not saying it would be faster at a DRAG strip. But on the hill (I think) it would run better. It would be easier to keep it in the meat of the power band, and it would get there quicker.

Thanks for reading folks...I'm out

In all honesty (and I'm sure most of you have seen Locos hillclimb vids) I think Locos cubs would perform better on the hill if his cylinders were decked. I'm not saying it would be faster at a DRAG strip. But on the hill (I think) it would run better.  It would be easier to keep it in the meat of the power band, and it would get there quicker.

Thanks for reading folks...I'm out

387429[/snapback]

im always in the powerband :bolt: i dont know, it would be interesting to test. i feel like right now im going as fast as i possibly can and cant imagine running much faster unless i had a bigger motor. im assuming decking my cylinders would bring the power on lower down in the rpm range. i sure would like to try it, but not with my motor :P i dont have a problem keeping in the powerband thats for sure. i watch my videos over and over to watch my lines and what not and never hear an instance where i come off it.

Your engine does not fall off the pipe,I agree, but if the the ports were lowered slightly it would come on alittle sooner,( you might even be able to pull a taller gear) and while your on and off the throttle so much on a hill with jumps (like Deekens) your not using the motor to its fullest potential.

You will never hit peak HP on a hill like that. if your motor is puttin out 90hp you are never using all of it. The most its gonna put out is around 80 at the most.

On a hillclimb the motor has a pull on it consantly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your set up is bad. It looks like its works pretty good from where I'm sittin, but remmember, no matter how fast you are you can always go faster. Hell, Ive won hillclimbs before, but was still disappointed in my performance, because I knew I could have done better... then again there is no such thing as a perfect ride, but I sure as hell would like to get as close as possible to it as I can.

By no means am I telling you to run out and have your cylinders decked, thats a lot of money to be fucin with, but I've seen bikes that go like hell at hillclimbs that have had the cylinder decked on.

Edited by 23champ

Your engine does not fall off the pipe,I agree, but if the the ports were lowered slightly it would come on alittle sooner,( you might even be able to pull a taller gear) and while your on and off the throttle so much on a hill with jumps (like Deekens) your not using the motor to its fullest potential.

yea i agree it could possibly be better on deekens hill, but on a hill like mankato, new ulm or red wing its damn near an uphill drag race. i think itll really shine there.

You will never hit peak HP on a hill like that. if your motor is puttin out 90hp you are never using all of it. The most its gonna put out is around 80 at the most.

On a hillclimb the motor has a pull on it consantly.

yea, as long as im in the band its pullin. luckily i have the control down to where i can keep it there all the time. others may not be as skilled.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your set up is bad. It looks like its works pretty good from where I'm sittin, but remmember, no matter how fast you are you can always go faster.  Hell, Ive won hillclimbs before, but was still disappointed in my performance, because I knew I could have done better...  then again there is no such thing as a perfect ride, but I sure as hell would like to get as close as possible to it as I can.

yea i can always go faster. im pissed becausel ats climb i ran a 7.048 and a 7.045. i wanna hit 6's real bad. my times were fast enough, but not fast enough for me.

By no means am I telling you to run out and have your cylinders decked, thats a lot of money to be fucin with, but I've seen bikes that go like hell at hillclimbs that have had the cylinder decked on.

387455[/snapback]

yea, for now im gonna run it as it is. seems to be working good so far..

"built to the hilt" KTM 550 hillclimber putting out 90+hp. This bike was, and still is a top 5 bike anywhere in the US.

That bike isn't top 5 at Glamis.

90 hp isn't much for the hillclimbs at Glamis. I was waching speedworld dirtbike hillclimbs with bikes that had 150 hp OFF the bottle, with angle iron bolted to their tires for treads. THAT is some sick shit. They were climbing some near vertical hills.

That bike isn't top 5 at Glamis.

90 hp isn't much for the hillclimbs at Glamis. I was waching speedworld dirtbike hillclimbs with bikes that had 150 hp OFF the bottle, with angle iron bolted to their tires for treads. THAT is some sick shit. They were climbing some near vertical hills.

387764[/snapback]

you are prolly talkin about the guys runnin street bike engines in dirtbike frames. thats a totally different class than what the ktm550 is in. you are talking the difference between a 600cc class single big bore versus open class 4 cylinder street bike motors. i guarantee that ktm bike is in the top 5 anywhere. ive seen it run on many different hills and it flat hauls and can only be topped by experienced riders with really hopped up bikes...and also, you are talking glamis, we are talking 300 to 500 foot dirt hillclimbs. huge difference there..

• 2 weeks later...

wow, i can't believe i read all that shit....seems like i'm not missing that much..although alot has been said and i dont feel like posting more then 100 words beause i have fat fingers..i want to make this clear im not taking sides although i have ridden a patriot bike a stroker..chase 73's banshee i was impressed by his work i think dan is a quality builder and should be given the respect he has earned.. again im not saying anyone is right or wrong just respect someone who has an extraordinary skill .. someone who pushes the envelope everyday to help innovate products that makes our sport better for everybody..