rear suspension setup

rx7500hpt2

I'm building my new banshee as a dune quad because thats basically the only place I use it. I fabricated a frame that is 4 in narrower and 1in longer up front, the arms are +5-+1 over stock or 50in wide. I'm going to run elka 19in longtravel coilovers. Now to the question. What would be a good swingarm/shock combo in the rear? I can't find any comparisons between a link and no-link setup. I've heard a no-link shock may be longer thats all I know. I'm not building a dragster, bumps, whoops and jumps are what I'm concerned with.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking out loud here, to have a rear shock built to work with a no-link swinger is going to be more expensive than a conventional set up, and here is why. The linkage on a stock style banshee changes the motion ratio of the rear suspension through the travel providing a progressive ride and maintaining good ride quality over small bumps. So to run a no link set up will require significantly more spring rate to produce the same wheel rate, but to maintain the small bump ride quality is going to require a multi rate spring set up which requires more packaging length which could to some extent dictate the rear frame and suspension pick up points. Furhtermore most top level shock builders are very familiar with the standard banshee rear suspension configuration so it is very easy for them to valve and spring a rear shock to your specs because the only major variable is swing arm length. Without your shock builder being involved in the rear linkage changes and possible frame changes made to the rear suspension could possibly require you taking the bike to them for measurements. Again I was just thinking out loud here, call your shock builder and see what they have to say. Good luck with your project - it sounds like fun, and please post some pictures for us to have a look at, I ride a purpose built dune bike myself.

Edited by DUNEDEMON

I don't have the shocks yet this started as a small inexpensive project, now I need probably 3x as much money allocated towards it. Eighty percent of the bike is chromoly, I ran out so I used a little thicker walled mild steel. Just lots of finishing work left (gussets and supports). I also made my own spindles. Got the idea at the sandsports supershow.

I didn't take many pics of the build up. Jigging up the frame was a task. I couldn't figure out any easy way to do it. It was time consuming but it came out straight. The a-arms were pretty simple. I made a jig up real quick for those. I'm going to figure out the shock linkage when I get the shocks.

doesnt elka make some sorta dogbone situation that will allow you to run a long travel shock?.....

298809[/snapback]

yes duece they do, but i dont know about it avilability for the banshee. however since it is a one-off frame, im sure you could rig something up using 450 or 250r geometry. oh the possibilites of custom fabrication. :drool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...