porting?

chris642

hey, im now starting to regret buying tr6's, i mean i love the sound and power but people say they dont go good with porting. Im now seriously thinking of getting a good port job, but Im not sure if it will be worth it with these pipes. Selling them and buying CPIs or t5s are pretty much not going to happen since i dont have the cash. So, do you think i should get her ported and see what happens or just stay away from it all together. and what increase in power do you think im going to see with a well ported engine with the tr6's. also, where do you think i should get it done? thanks.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much yet. The T5's may respond a little better, but I'm sure yours will respond fairly well also. I'd get the porting you want done. Then, after seeing how they respond, you don't feel they're all they should be, then start trying to sell and swap. You have the T6's now, so I'd see how they do first before you go to the trouble, you might end up loving them even more.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much yet. The T5's may respond a little better, but I'm sure yours will respond fairly well also. I'd get the porting you want done. Then, after seeing how they respond, you don't feel they're all they should be, then start trying to sell and swap. You have the T6's now, so I'd see how they do first before you go to the trouble, you might end up loving them even more.

well said, i agree totally.

i'm sort of in the same boat. people say (hearsay) that FMF SST's don't work well with porting either, maybe they do and maybe they don't. i feel that it all depends on the type of port job one gets. i don't expect them to work as well as cpi's or rockets with a drag style port job but i think that they would work real well with a mx style port job, probably not as well a ptr mids BUT DAMN SURE BETTER THAN STOCK and maybe better than some others. i'm getting some port work done soon and i'll use the SST's until i can afford to or decide to change to a different pipe, but then again i may love the way that it runs and decide to keep them. (more beer money) :cheers:

like sredish said work with what you have for now.

what they said. unless you actually try it you'll never know. i run t6's on my +4 12 port stroker motor and it flat out rips! would a different pipe give me more power? i'm sure. i loved my t6's on my stock motor and i love them on this one. don't be afraid to get port work because you have t6's. most of us can only afford one thing at a time. you can throw a set of pipes on it anytime. i'm spankin' all my buddies so who cares.

On a dyno I saw on planetsand, t6's did perform the worst out of all the pipes tested with an agressive play ported 350. Numbers were as follows, the t6's made 68 hp, t5's made 71, fatties made 72, cpi's made 72.5, and shearers made 73. The problem with the t6's is that the don't rev out like the other pipes and they sign off really quick. The fatties signed out 1000rpm later than the t6's and they actually made the most torque out of all the other pipes. T5's revved out a tad longer than the fatties did but they didn't make enough torque to take advatage of the extra 400rpm they pulled over the fatties. Cpi's and the shearers revved out well over 10,000rpm and they put out a smooth torque curve from about 7000rpm up. Cpi's peaked at around 10,500 while the shearers pulled an extra thousand rpm on the cpi's. I'll post a link to the dyno tomorrow. You have to sign up on planetsand to view the dyno though.

The fatties signed out 1000rpm later than the t6's and they actually made the most torque out of all the other pipes. T5's revved out a tad longer than the fatties did but they didn't make enough torque to take advatage of the extra 400rpm they pulled over the fatties.the dyno though.

Do you remember at what rpm the Fatties signed off?

looking at the dyno i think im going to either try to trade for sherer inframes or sell my tr6s and just buy them. if anyone runs them, how do they sound? i know they somewhat look like the tr6s. also, i was looking at a pic of them and it looked like they needed to take the fenders off for them to fit, this is a problem because i ride through mud sometimes, but i guess i can deal with it. will i need to shave the fenders??

Edited by chris642

HEY I PUT A REALLY GREAT POST UP ON THE DILLEMA OF THE TR-6 I HAD THEM AND FOUND OUT LATER THAT THE T-5 WAS THE BETTER PIPE FOR A MOTOR THAT HAS PORTING, TIMING ADAVANCE AND COMPRESSION THIS STRAIGHT FROM TOOMEY. THEY WILL SWAP YOU FOR FREE THE TR-6 FOR T-5'S I DID IT AND I HAD MY PIPES FOR ABOUT 8 MONTHS I CLEANED THEM UP REALLY GOOD AND SENT THEM OFF AND THEY SENT ME BRAND NEW T-5'S IF YOU WANT SEND ME A PM AND I WILL SEND YOU MY WHOLE POST.

looking at the dyno i think im going to either try to trade for sherer inframes or sell my tr6s and just buy them. if anyone runs them, how do they sound? i know they somewhat look like the tr6s. also, i was looking at a pic of them and it looked like they needed to take the fenders off for them to fit, this is a problem because i ride through mud sometimes, but i guess i can deal with it. will i need to shave the fenders??

They have their own sound IMO, as for the fit you will have to trim them a little for the pipes to fit, i had shearers and switched to cpi's and i liked the way the shearers performed on my motor better so im switching back.

Edited by Big Blue