Runs good and slowly bogs and dies?

O.k. Well here it is... I have a all stock 2000 banshee with no mods .. :( Anyway I decided to check the compression in each cylinder and what I came up with is about 79 on the left and 75 on the right. Not sure if this is good with my elavation being at about 4200 ft? After this I put a brand new set of plugs, put in my clean spare air filter and new gas mixed at 32:1 and started riding. About five minutes into my ride the bike got real sluggish and an then just died. Was about a mile or so away from home and the damn thing would not start! When I would kick it over it would start for about 2 seconds and die again. Then after lettting it sit for about the length of a smoke, tried it again and nothing. Wound up pushing the bike home.. Got back and check the plugs and they looked good, not fouled out. There were no symtoms of poor performance before leading to this, any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking possibly TORS but once again I am a Rookie so any thoughts are welcome..

• 2 weeks later...

You definately need to rebuild your compression should be over 130 in each cylinder anytime it gets lower you need to rebuild. You should probably bore the cylinders because with compression that low your clearance between you cylinders and your pistons will be huge. That is what i was just told by my mechanic.

At that elevation, I would think your compression should be around 105

Since it is pretty even, you might try a different guage with the engine hot holding the throttle wide open.

Of course if it won't start it's difficult to get the engine warm. I hate to ask but does it have fuel and fire?

When you figure out the problem, you could increase the elevation related lower compression with a shaved or aftermarket head.

man I would say that you need a new top end rebuild. I live at about 4500 feet above sea level and i just put a new top end on my banshee along with a noss head and 19cc domes and my compression is at around 100psi.

That's really low after a rebuild and domes?????

I've heard of people running them down to about 95psi as long as their the same. The important part is that they are the same. I think your not checking it correctly if your down at 75psi because to get down there it had to be running and below 90psi I don't think it would. Check it like Dlnoss said above.

time for a top end. mine did the same thing with the same simptoms. my comp was about 80-90psi at about sea level. after the rebuild it was 155 and it started up within 5 kicks.

you may be able to cheat and go with new rings?? but id just bore it .020-020 and put some new pistons in it. you wont be sorry.