gearing down for bottom end

If you have stock 14/41 gearing, throw on a 13T front and see what you think. Bumping up the compression is gonna help alot, but for now just the front sprocket change should make a nice difference, and unless your chain is reaaaaally stretched you should be ok with it. If you want to play with the ratios (and have Excel) I've got a gearing spreadsheet here, that some HQers put together back in the day.

I don't particularly agree with the concept of gearing down for bottom end. If you gear down, you'll still have the same amount of bottom end, but the gears will be closer. You'll be shifting a whole lot more and it should pull a tad more out of corners and such. Best way to see if you like it is to try it.

The lowest you'll want to go on the front is a 13 tooth. Stock is 14 and then you can run a 15. I actually like the 15 best. I tinkered around with it for a month or so to see what gearing suited me best, and I tried the 13 because I've read where it "helps bottom end power", but that wasn't the case for me.

Later.

sredish is right. when you gear down, you'll gain some increased torque down low, but it's not really that noticeable. All lower gearing did for me was help get into the powerband a little quicker from a crawl. And also, you should need much bottom end to get off the line unless you are on asphalt with a stock length swingarm. Even in that situation, I would just feather the clutch enough to keep the front end down while maintaining high revs. In other words, try it and see if you like it, but don't be suprised if you don't like the outcome.

im using 15/41 with my mods and i love it...bottom end is great and i want to see what happens with a 14/40

a milled head will help you a lot. Lightened flywheel with +4 timing advance will do it. These mods wont empty your wallet and help a lot.

A smaller front sprocket will take a bit of your top speed off <_<

Later

basically, i'm wanting to get off the line quicker. right now, the toomey's aren't so hot for pulling out of the holeshot. typically, i am losing the holeshot and then edging by as i hit second or third. basically wanting to edge by out of the hole :D

the lightened flywheel is the other quick and cheap option i was looking at to get easy lower end torque. im not a big fan of the infamous bog, i want the damn throttle to be there when I hit it...

To get more out of the holeshot, gear up not down. As long as you have the power to pull it, a higher gear will get you there faster, because for every rpm the motor turns, the more ground you cover with the higher gears. That's why draggers run like a 17 front and some run 18 fronts. The secret is finding the right combo to get you the holeshot, but still pull you around tight.

Seriously! I run a 15/41 and will take a similarly modded or even more modded shee with 14/41, not because of the power, but because of the rpms of the tires compared to the motor. With my 15 tooth front, I still start out in 2nd in a holeshot or dragging, and still have enough low end to pull the corners, but can accelerate fast enough to not have to shift as much takin corners and such. Anymore, I always run a 15 front tooth and just make subtle adjustments with the rear sprocket.

later.

get yourself some boyeson dual stage reeds, they'll help a lot with your throttle response down low. I wouldnt drop a gear. Get yourself some dual stage reeds and a timing plate. They are both cheap and will help a lot. My next step would be to bump the compression up a bit (wouldnt go below a 20cc with stock pistons and such, I tore my top end apart running 170lbs)

All these things will help you out and give you more noticeable torque down low. Toomeys arent that well known for their bottom end, and dont have a ton of torque out of the powerband. After you do all these things and if you still arent liking how it pulls out of the powerband, maybe looking into different pipes would be a solution to the problem.

I'll suggest LRD's to you for future reference (low end torque is amazing and pull as long as T5's)

(I should be a representative for LRD)

I partial agree with the other guys. Don't change gearing trying to gain bottom end. Address the real issue, the motor.

My opinion differs in what gears to use. I currently run 13/41. I have tried 14/41 and 15/41. I ran 15/41 for quit a while since so many people on here like it. But I finally came to the conclusion that it didn't suit my riding style. With the 15/41 gearing 1st was too slow for hill climbing and 2nd was too high. 2nd gear with 13/41 is perfect for hill climbing, for me. I liked trail riding with the 15/41 gears, but not hills. As far as drag racing goes. I just launch in 3rd gear most of the time. This gives me more tire speed then the guys running 15/41 that launch in second. Of course I lose some top speed with the 13/41 gearing, but I rarely get into 6th anyway. Just my $0.02.

i think im gonna spend the money on reeds, machined flywheel and a timing plate now and then in the near future, go ahead and spring for the v-force 2 reeds and reed cage and the noss head...

i love the toomeys, just not overly thrilled with the bottom end. i knew this before hand but knew there were ways around it. i didnt want to go CPI or FMF because EVERYBODY where I ride has them. I love the sound I get from the toomeys and I get tons of compliments, I just need to nail down this bottom end problem...

before i had the passion engine i just had a mild port job with t5's, v force reeds, advanced timing, 19cc domes and an open air box. i ran a 12 tooth, yes a 12 tooth and i would kill people with 14 tooths off the line and by the time they caught me it was too late for them. i also ran a 13 tooth and that was perfect. it got me off the line quicker than shit and then i couldnt be caught. i run most of my quads with a lower gear up front becase of trails and hillclimbing. id rather have a wide range of lower gears than a bunch of really tall gears. i just dont need to be able to run like 80mph. i think if you try the 13 tooth you will like it. order a primary drive front sprocket from rmatv. they are like 7 bucks. if you dont like it you arent gonna be out much.

High rev pipes are harder to get that low end bog out, but can be done... I played w/ JKJK's shee when we went to Roostfest..He has T5's. It went pretty damn good when I finally jetted it in....Jetting is everything when it comes to that low end lag...especially w/ the high revs..If you really wanted power at the fingertips then you should have bought some PT mids....anyone who has ridden my shee can not believe the low end, but you already have the T5's...Try a cool head....the high rev pipes will tend to not match your port timing and thats what gives your lag. Raise the compression and that'll help out a lot depending on how much you raise it...the higher compression will affect port timing as well as help match the pipe...Dave at NOSS helped my out w/ my shee when I put my stroker in, made a nice difference and took care of my lag before the powerband..