Jetting Problems

andrewrj

Hello everyone.

Sorry for posting here but I have been reading this forum for day and even checked out the Jetting FAQ and I can't seem to get my jetting right. Last weekend I installed a K&N filter, an EHS racing air box lid, Aktive reeds, and Toomey T-5 pipes. Right now I have 320 jets, and the needle is in the second clip. The pilots are stock. The location is Iowa and it is 60-70 degrees outside. I can feel a little hesitation in lower rpms and some of the middle rpms but it seems to run harder than it ever has before at high rpms. Anyway I pulled into my driveway and noticed there was gas coming out the carb overflows. I doesnt do it when its sitting only when it runs. So I figured I might be running extremly rich. So I pulled the plugs and they are dry and light brown, almost a burnt look. So that makes me think its lean. What the heck am I doing here? :)

Dry and light tan is how they should look. Lean will be white... where in Iowa are you? I am over in Omaha, NE

I am running a 2:1 carb system and have long ago forgotten what my stock jets were, but by plug color alone you should be good... use your own judgement... remember that a rich condition can hide an underlying lean condition, confused... read the Banshee Jetting FAQ... it's pimpalicious!

Sweet, I live in Glenwood, just south of Council Bluffs, I actually work in Omaha. But Im glad that my plugs seem ok, but what the heck is going on with the gas out the over flows. Actually, maybe im just an idiot. I better go check to see if they are tight. :o

I have the same problem with my carbs. the drain at the bottom dosent seal very well. Take the bowl off and clean the, try to find some small o-rings. As far as the hesitation i would more the needle clip down to the 3rd from the top and bump the pilots to 27.5. I just had a simalar problem with mine after porting.

Sounds like you need to adjust the needle.  If its in the 5th slot, move it up to the 4 and see how it runs.

I'd say the needle needs to be in the third clip from the top/blunt end, and maybe fourth. That will bring in your midrange a lot better. One size on the needle is equal to one half main size, so if you move two clips richer then it's also like going up one size on the main and you might have to make and adjustment, but the adjustment is well worth it, and the needle is a very important part to dial in for best performance.

So I pulled the plugs and they are dry and light brown, almost a burnt look.  So that makes me think its lean.  What the heck am I doing here? :)

Didn't notice this comment before.

The color you describe depends on where it is to correctly determine the condition. You want the ground strap to be black, and the outer most ring on the very tip to be black, not wet and the very tip of the porcelain should be a light chocolate or brown color. If the strap is tan then your lean. Typically, if the strap IS black then the porcelain tip WILL BE the dark tan color, they kinda go hand in hand unless something else is going on that we don't need to get into.

Edited by sredish

I think you should try and bump up the pilot jets one size and play with the needle. I'm running a similar setup but have 30 pilots, needle clip is 2nd from the blunt end, and 280 mains. I'm actually thinking of going to 270 mains and seeing how she runs. Keep in mind though, every banshee for some reason has a mind of their own, what runs good on one shee may run like ass on another...

I just bought a box of plugs today and did the plug test again. My main seems ok, but im afraid it is right on the edge so im gonna step up to a 340 just to make sure. The needle on the other hand looks and feels lean....WHOOPS! Anyway im think im gonna try the 5th and final clip and hope it works cuz I dont want to buy new needles. I'll keep you all posted, and thanks for the help everyone.