Getting Depressed

blk02banshee

I went riding yesterday, and drag raced my friends across a field about 20 times and never won :( . I raced a geared stock raptor, stock 400ex, and piped predator. The raptor was about dead even, the 400 was even until I hit 6th, and the predator just smoked me. I thought it was a weight difference, as I am 250 and my friends are in the 150-170 range, so we kept switching quads and racing, and switching and racing, and the results were always about the same. WTF :blink: I have PC pipes, pro design filter, and V-force reeds. I thought maybe I was rich, because it was about 80 degrees and I never jetted back down from my winter jetting, but it pulled too hard and clean on the top end. No bog, no sputtering, no fouled plugs. Maybe I just need to get them on pavement, lol, but I hate using that. It's a lame excuse. Anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah, tires on the banshee make all the difference in the world.

You are probably spinning your tires so much in 1st through

3rd that those pos 4 strokes can hang or even jump out front, and

then when your tires hook when you shift to 4th (or whatever gear they

decide to hook in...depending on power, gearing and just how shitty

your tire really is)...when they do hook you are not going fast enough

because of the tire spin in the previous gear and so now you fall out of

the powerband and lose time. If you are trying to drag with the tires in your avatar...not good. Get some prowedge 2's...and a wheelie bar.

Note: Prowedge2's have a direction arrow on them.

Run them in the opposite direction of the arrow on dirt...that's what

every one does and they are one of the best dirt drag tires you will find.

If your compression is ok I'd check your jetting by doing a plug chop in 5th gear. It might not foul plugs now but leaning it up a little to get it perfect will make it run harder. You are probably about even or a little ahead of the predator power-wise, but they have a lot of bottom end which helps tremendously when traction is an issue.

Sit way back on the seat, make sure your tire pressure is good and see how much you spin launching in 2nd. If they are running different tires you might wanna try switching tires with one of them and see if that makes a difference.

Next get it ported, mill the head (or get a head with replaceable domes), advance the timing 4 degrees, get some CPI's and take back your bragging rights!

I've tried 2nd gear launches, but I think I'm too heavy :cry: lmao. Maybe I could do it if I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket. I'm running holeshot XCs for tires, and they're a little taller than the stockers.

I was throwing a shitload more roost than the other guys, so I'm sure traction had something to do with it, but something still ain't right. I'm gonna rejet this week if I have time. I'm at 330 mains right now, and after a day of riding, my plugs are very dark, but not wet and they don't foul. Both plugs look identical, which is good, and it pulls very hard on the top at WFO. I think I'll try dropping my needles 1 clip, and if it runs any better, I'll do a plug chop and see how rich the mains really are. Top end seems great and takeoff from a stop is good, but in between it seems like it struggles a little to get on the pipes. That's why I'm thinking needles.

When I put in the V-force reeds, I had to go down with the pilots, but I left the needles in the stock position, so maybe they needed to be leaned out too???

I'm definately gonna do a compression test and see where that's at, and then play with my jetting. I'm definately doing porting when I freshen it up and maybe even a stroker crank, since I gotta take the crank out to weld it anyway ;) .

I used to have the same trouble you are and I weigh 230 but I was just getting out driven. I'm still running stock topend and I smoke those 4 strokes. The only one that runs with me is the yfz 450 with pipes.

You saying I can't ride? :huh: lmao, just kidding. I'm sure I'm not the best rider, but I have almost 20 years experience under my belt, and so do my friends, and we kept trading quads and the results were always about the same.

There is only a few resons that I can think of that they are beating you. You say you can ride good and you are running holeshot tires (so am I) so I would say either your compression is down, your not geared right, or your clutch is slipping. If it is not one of those work on launching and shifting.

I'm going to check compression, get my jetting dialed in, and change my gearing to make up for the tires. I know how to ride and shift very good, but I have to admit my launches are'nt the greatest, so obviously I need to work on that, but even when I got good starts, I still was'nt beating them.

The one time that I was doing pretty good, was at silver lake down by the beach, and I was only getting beaten by other banshees that were'nt anywhere near stock, so I think traction might be the biggest factor.