Gearing Again

OC-SHEE

Ok so i went from a 13/41 to a 14/41 setup and i still rev out the gears way to quick. I'm in 6th and it feels like i went no where. So im wondering if maybe a 38 in the rear??? I'm not sure. I have the 2 into 1 carb also and the 2 into 1 pipe. I should not be shifting so quick. Ill be on the mx track of course and i guess you could call those track small to middle size. But out of the gate i'll be in 6th when others are in like 3rd. I know we have one more gear. I need help as my first race is next weekend. Thanks

I ran those low gears at the first of last year on a semi tight track and had to use the clutch a lot in the turns cause I had was in a higher gear than everyone else and it made for a lot of shifting .Went to a 15/40 and 15/41 and it was a lot better.Still could start in 2nd gear and didn't have to shift as much in the race.I liked it a lot better.I think you will find that with these gears you will run 3rd and 4th gear if the tracks are tight,it will make your gears longer.

so should i go with a 15/38?? or will i be good with a 14/38 or 14/40??

3 teeth in the rear equil 1 up front....id go 15/41 or 16/41 if you can pull it, for mx you want hook and acceleration with 20" rear tires the 15/41 is a good combo, i run a 17/40 with some horsepower and cant get past third on short tracks so im ten teeth taller than stock.....

I'm running 18's and just git my motor back together, not the stroker but it was done by jim and the 15/40 want let me out of third at the track.Not raced yet but just went to play a little but this I think is what I will run .Just a thought.What ever sprokets you run devied the front number of teeth into the rear number of teeth and that is what gear ratio you have.14/41 is stock gearing and that is a 2.93 gear ratio 15/40 is a 2.67 .If you went whith a 14/38 setup you would be geared 2.71.If your stock then it might not be a bad thing.Just keep trying you'll find what your looking for. :dance:

my internal is stock. But i have a 2 into 1 intake and a 2 into 1 pipe. I know i have mostly low end but that what i need but it doesn't seem right to be needing to shift so much even when i went back to stock gearing it felt the same as that 13 i had put in b4. So you think a 14/38 would be prety good?? most of the tracks are small to mid. Nothing national size or anything. I just don't think i should need to be shifting into 6th and only be getting like 50 mph prolly less. I rev out way to fast.

Why don't you try slipping the clutch in the corners. I'll carry a tall gear into a turn and just ride it out on the clutch to avoid shifting. If your shifting as much as you say you are, your not using your clutch as much as you could be...Take advantage of that lever. Smoke that clutch.

why dont you just buy a 15 and 16 front sprocket, being that they are only about 5 dollars for titax or whatever, and see what you like??

thats what id do also swapping the rear around is a pain in the ass, and taller fronts pull harder than smaller rears for some strange reason, with a 15/41 or 40 you should be able to jump the gate in second pull third and damm near leave it there and like monsta said just fan your clutch as needed, ive always practiced to a clock, so i can see faster times with taller gears, way less spin, greater acceleration, low gears float a 2cycle engine, geared to low your upper top end will just hang, geared tall it will pull till it explodes :cheers: